Remington 700 barrel break in

This is a discussion on Remington 700 barrel break in within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Whats the general consensus around here for breaking in a barrel on a new Remington 700 (SPS with 20" heavy barrel in .308). Most of ...

Thread: Remington 700 barrel break in

Whats the general consensus around here for breaking in a barrel on a new Remington 700 (SPS with 20" heavy barrel in .308). Most of my bolt actions are old mil-surp guns, so I didn't really worry about it. But I am viewing this one as my first really "serious" bolt action.

I have heard everything from just shoot it, to the "ladder program" where you work your way up progressively taking more shots between cleaning.

Remington's website and the owners manual doesn't say anything on the issue, so I guess they are in the just shoot it class.

What do you serious bolt action shooters do? And why do you do it that way?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I don't know if I'm right but the way I was taught us what you call the ladder method. Shoot, clean, shoot, clean. I do it with all new rifles and I don't see how it could hurt.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I've had my .30-06 700ADL since '75 and never gave it any special break-in. Cleaned it right out of the box and then after every firing session, regardless of No. of rounds fired. It will still shoot 1" groups all day at 100 yds. Last long-range target session was 3.5" at 300 yds with 165 grn handloads. That's with my el cheapo scope.
    Would it shoot better if I'd used some special "break-in"? Guess we'll never know.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Superhouse, do you have any special numbers for your approach? Most common seem to be like for 50 rounds, 10 single shots with cleanings in between, like two 5 round groups with cleanings, and 3 10 round groups with cleanings in between.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I've had my .30-06 700ADL since '75 and never gave it any special break-in. Cleaned it right out of the box and then after every firing session, regardless of No. of rounds fired. It will still shoot 1" groups all day at 100 yds. Last long-range target session was 3.5" at 300 yds with 165 grn handloads. That's with my el cheapo scope.
    Would it shoot better if I'd used some special "break-in"? Guess we'll never know.
    I kind of sit in the camp that a rifle doesn't really need a break in, but I'm new to this expensive bolt action thing, so I'm seeing what other know. The one thing that always gets me, is how do you factor in the factory test fire rounds into these precise break in plans?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Someone makes bullets coated with different strengths of an abrasive compound that polishes a new barrel. You start with 10 rds of the coarsest and
    work down to the finest. Can't remember if Brownells or Midway sells them. Supposed to give great results.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

[QUOTE=buckeyeLCPL;1693149]Superhouse, do you have any special numbers for your approach? Most common seem to be like for 50 rounds, 10 single shots with cleanings in between, like two 5 round groups with cleanings, and 3 10 round groups with cleanings in between.

This is how I did mine and the gun shoots very well. She shoots a .4 group at 100 yds and holds 6 in groups at 600. As long as I do my part. The only thing I would add is to do a very good cleaning prior to your first shot and use copper solvent during your cleanings.

Good luck and have fun!

This is I broke in my 700VS in .308 (right or wrong), I cleaned it, shot 1 round, clean it again. I did this for 100 rounds (cheapest ammo I could find). It did give me a lot of time to work on my trigger control and setting the scope up, plus just time with the rifle. After the 100 rounds are done, I started looking for a load the rifle likes, by shooting 3 shoot groups, and cleaning between each group.
    Enjoy your new rifle

BTW my 700 really likes 175 gr. HPBT MatchKings by Sierra, using 39.5 grains of Viht N540 powder, with Federal 210M primers.
    Semper Fi

Senior Moderator
    I'll clean after the fist 5 shots.Then I'll clean every 5 thereaftertill I hit 50 shots. From then on, I dont worry about it but I will clean it after every range session.

There is no set method really. The idea is to shoot and clean until you smooth the barrel out all the burrs that have been put in it when its manufactured. Your groups should shrink and accuracy be improved.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Someone makes bullets coated with different strengths of an abrasive compound that polishes a new barrel. You start with 10 rds of the coarsest and
    work down to the finest. Can't remember if Brownells or Midway sells them. Supposed to give great results.
    It's called bore lapping, or fire lapping. Ask David Tubb national hi power champion eleven times over. He has his own line of products for the very serious shooter. I have one of his speed lock bolts in my Rem 700 varmint 22-250 matter of fact.
    Barrel break in/cleaning recommendations? Shoot five then clean, let cool, repeat three times, and call it good. For the serious shooter, I recommend doing all of this at the range in a cradle with a bore guide and a coated rod for the caliber. Push the patch through from bore to muzzle, and remove patch upon exit of the muzzle...in other words, don't pull back the patch through the bore...one direction only. My recommendation for the cleaning compound? JB's bore cleaning compound...mildly abrasive. Again, this is for the serious shooter whom wishes to take such tedious tasks in seeking their goals.
    I absolutely love the .308win. For me, it's the ease of reloading the cartridge, and the ease of remembering most of the ballistics. A heavy barrel is good to have but more to carry.

http://www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images...rticle_new.pdf
    BROWNELLS : J-B NON-EMBEDDING BORE CLEANING COMPOUND - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
    Rifle Cleaning Hints

Best of everything to you and your new rifle! Get the most out of it and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Whats the general consensus around here for breaking in a barrel on a new Remington 700 (SPS with 20" heavy barrel in .308).

What do you serious bolt action shooters do? And why do you do it that way?
    I'm only real serious with a couple of them (bolt actions), and I reload for all of the bolt actions I have. I've done it this way for those few I intended to take above average for myself and my own reasons. I only compete against myself and the forces of Mother Nature with them.
    I'll leave you with another contact for good information in the tactical department, and they've done some excellent work on my Savage 110FP. Talk to them. Look past the website portrayals of who they are and what they do. I've been to their place in person several times, and they do the work right there. Excellent customer service and personality. They are in business even for the individual....the civilian. They know their stuff.
    http://www.auroratactical.com/pages.php?pageid=1

I've got a few boxes of Remington .308 180gr rounds around here that I'm planning on taking to the range tomorrow when I go shoot. Probably try to get 40-60 rounds out (my shoulder is going to hate me since I spent all
    Saturday afternoon with shotguns, my other .308 and a .270).

I know better than to pull the patch back through the barrel. I've got some copper solvent around here somewhere too from my pre-Gunzilla days.

I also got a new sandbag set, to try and get the 4x12 Redfield on target at the same time. A note on that, I'm pretty impressed with quality and the sight picture on it, especially for the price range. And even though it doesn't have the externally adjustable turrets, when you unscrew the caps on it, it has marked turrets as opposed to the cheap screw set ups some scopes have.

I certainly have a lot of respect for the .308 as a round, after seeing it in action (the 7.62x51Nato at least) I'm going to worry more about loads after I am out of the Marines and get started reloading (aka when I have room).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Since you are basically taking over after the factory has fired "X" number of rounds is it really necessary to fire a specific ritual?

I do a cleaning after every shot for the firstten, then after each 3 shot group until I run out of money or get around 50 rounds.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Ok, just got back from the range. Ran 57 rounds of some old .308 I had around the house through it. First ten rounds I ran a wet and couple dry patches through after each shot, and then after that would clean after each 3 shot group. I had 60 rounds, but got a group just over an inch, and decided to call it a day after that (considering the rounds, I thought that was good enough, I need to start playing with bullet weights and whatnot now). Try to get some groups under an inch from the sandbags.

If anyone is interested, the 4x12 Redfield performed well, it took a little while to get on target, but then it was on. Did whatever you call "going around the box", where you do adjustments right, down, left and up, while aiming at the same spot and see if you wind up in the same spot again. I shot after each adjustment, and the weren't all exactly the same distance, but my last group and first group overlapped. Then I shot groups at the lowest magnification setting, a middle setting, the highest setting, and lowest again, at the same spot, and those groups all over-lapped, so no issue on changing the magnification. Overall, for a $200 scope, I was pretty impressed by it. I'm glad Leupold seems to be doing the Redfield name justice.

I forgot my camera at home, so I know it didn't happen if I don't have pictures, but thanks for the help guys, I like this rifle, and it should give me years of good shooting. Also, I didn't really mind the hogue stock, but it was all shooting off bags, so I'm going to have to get several hundred more rounds out before I make a call on that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Sponsored Links