My 6.8 SHTF/HD/Deer rifle

This is a discussion on My 6.8 SHTF/HD/Deer rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I replaced the front sight tower with a Troy Industries low profile gas block and cold blued the bare steel that was under the original ...

Thread: My 6.8 SHTF/HD/Deer rifle

I replaced the front sight tower with a Troy Industries low profile gas block
    and cold blued the bare steel that was under the original sight tower. It could probably use a few more coats, but I got bored.

Installed a carbon fiber free float hand guard, and a CAA grip.

It wears a lightweight ACOG 1x24

All criticism, constructive, or otherwise is welcome.

As purchased:

After I bubba'd it up:

Leupold Rifleman 3-9 x 50 and Freedom Reaper rings by DNZ in Sanford, NC. A girl just isn't a girl without accessories.

The flash hider on this rifle is called a Miculek Muzzle Brake. Even though it looks like a flash hider, it functions as a muzzle brake so the literature says. I can't imagine that recoil is anything to worry about, so off it goes. It will be replaced with a Vortex as soon as I get my next paycheck.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Senior Moderator
    That'll work.

I'm not a huge fan of scoping a rifle that is to be used for up close stuff.
    Especially the cantilever mounts used to mount that scope. They are not durable at all. First time you drop it on that scope, it'll either pop off or bend or break the mount as there is a lot of leverage there on a relatively small area.

Other than that it looks good.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Can't find anything to be critical of. Nice rifle. It should do what you need well. Personally, I prefer open sights for the ruggedness, and prefer an A2 length since thats what I cut my teeth on and the 223 I use needs that extra 4 inches of barrel. I have always been a firm believer in the KISS philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That'll work.

I'm not a huge fan of scoping a rifle that is to be used for up close stuff.
    Especially the cantilever mounts used to mount that scope. They are not durable at all. First time you drop it on that scope, it'll either pop off or bend or break the mount as there is a lot of leverage there on a relatively small area.

Other than that it looks good.
    This is my thinking. The 6.8 cartridge is made to be used in a 16 inch tube. If you extend the barrel to 20 inches, you only gain 200fps. The round I am shooting in it retains >1000 ft/lbs out to 200 yards. I plan to use the rifle 150 yards and in.

As for the scope mounts, I can see the inherent points of weakness, however, I don't plan on dropping the rifle upside down onto the scope. If I do, I deserve to have a bent mount!

We'll see how it does this season. If it brings home meat, I'll be happy. Thanks for the input fellas.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Being as you are looking for a 200 Yards and in rifle I think you have selected an appropriate caliber, but I'm no ballistician.

I myself favor longer ranges and longer barrels, but also a different caliber. I'm really leaning towards the 6.5 Grendel myself. I see the 6.5 Grendel as a replacement for the .270 Winchester, which has been known to take Elk at 700 Yards if the shooter is up to it.

Biker

The 6.5G is known for breaking bolts in the AR platform.

6.8 is more than adequate for medium game out to at least 400. There are some guys running around Texas zapping some 2-300lb hogs at and above 350yds with the 85g TSX.

Sponsored Links