Mosin Nagant M-44, Worth a pinch or no?

This is a discussion on Mosin Nagant M-44, Worth a pinch or no? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up a Mosin Nagant M-44 carbine for the very nice price of FREE. The first thing I did was chop the stock and ...

Thread: Mosin Nagant M-44, Worth a pinch or no?

Mosin Nagant M-44, Worth a pinch or no?

I picked up a Mosin Nagant M-44 carbine for the very nice price of FREE. The first thing I did was chop the stock and remove the bayonet, this lightened the rifle significanty. I cleaned whatever goop those comunists used for lubrication and soaked the bore to remove the skuzz in there too. I was quite surprised at the accuracy and power of the 7.62x54R round and started to grow fond of the ugly Russian fence post.

This rifle has developed a problem... It seems to be striking the primers light and causing the dreaded NO BANG. The primers are dented, but no POW. The same ammunition fired from another rifle will fire. I can screw the firing pin out a few turns and this seems to correct the problem. I have had trigger problems and magazine feeding issues in the past.

Is the M-44 a turd? Should I just cut this thing up and start over with an Enfeild or a Mauser? Inexpensive home defence and spare deer rifle is the target use of this weapon.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    No.
    Disassemble the bolt and clean it out. You probably have cosmoline impeding the movement of the spring making the firing movement somewhat sluggish.

It's a common mistake to clean all the comsoline off of everything but the interior of the bolt. It must be taken apart and cleaned up. The easy way to do this is to take it apart and throw everything into a pot of boiling water. It'll melt the cosmoline out of every little nook and cranny.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

yep

Hot guns beat me to it but you need to tear down the bolt and clean your firing pin tract. The M-44 has become one of my favorite fun guns. You can't beat the price on the ammo I bought a couple 79.00 spam cans of it.

Mosin Nagant Bolt Disassembly

I know it's a link to a 91/30 but the 44 has the exact same bolt.

What Hot Guns said.

Far from a turd, the M-N in its various permutations is more of an unpolished gem. If it was a fickle rascal there wouldn't be tens of thousands of arsenal-refinished specimens in the hand of collectors and shooters today! Go do some "Mosin Nagant" research on Google and YouTube to get a sense of how contemporary shooters deal with some age-old M-N issues (e.g., the rough chamber).

After my second read of "Lights Out" (find that on the web, too) I assessed my armory in terms of first- and second-tier weapons with which to arm those close to me in a SHTF situation. The substantial, service-quality handguns (1911s, SIG, Glock, CZ) and military rifles (ARs, SKS, etc) are top tier and service revolvers and bolt-action MilSurp battle rifles form the second tier (for "home guard" duties...). My Mosin-Nagants and Schmidt-Rubins fill those roles nicely.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It is also helpful when building the 2nd tier that you can buy a case of M-N's for what you would drop on a single AR platform weapon (a low end one at that)

VIP Member
    Very interesting rifle with a lot of history behind it, would you belive some were even made in America.

Mosin-Nagant Rifle | World War II Database
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    Is the M-44 a turd?
    While rough in compairison to other milsurp rifles like the Mauser and Enfield all the Mosin Nagant rifles be a 91/30, M38, M44 or 91/59 are tough as nails and very relaible. The one you own and "bubbed" up (altered) may turnout to be a "turd" because you tried to "sporterize it, but the M44's in general are not. By the way the M44 rifles were sighted in at the time manufacture with the bayonet extended and many will not shoot point of aim without the bayonet extended or removed. Its a Russian thing. Its your rifle so do as you please but these old war horses deserve better than to be sporterized and they lose any collectability they have. Sure buy a nice RC Mauser and Lee Enfield and clean and shoot them but keep "bubba" the rifle butcher away from them.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Wait...you chopped the stock and removed the bayonet?

I need to go hug my Mosin now, excuse me.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I picked up a Mosin Nagant M-44 carbine for the very nice price of FREE. The first thing I did was chop the stock and remove the bayonet, this lightened the rifle significanty.

Um... yeah, I think it's a little late now.........

I'd like to get a Mosin and sporterize it myself. Would like to cut the barrel to 17" and free float the barrel just to see what kind of accuracy I could squeeze out of it.

Sorry guys, but this one just wont make the cut as a collector... she is rough. The bore is marginal and the stock was fithy and split up the barrel pretty bad. The cheek area of the stock was so fat it would rip your face off when you fired it. The rifle is a beater at best. I can get my hands on many many more for under $100 in better condition. I like the old army fence posts and I would never desecrate an arm in even "good" condition.

I have pulled the bolt apart and cleaned it, but I will do a better job. I will boil it out as Hotguns suggested.

Thanks for the tips and the links, I may even have something assembled wrong. The serial numbers on the bolt do not match the rest of the weapon, I hope this is not another irritating factor.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Thanks for the tips and the links, I may even have something assembled wrong. The serial numbers on the bolt do not match the rest of the weapon, I hope this is not another irritating factor.
    This link may help you
    Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Sorry guys, but this one just wont make the cut as a collector... she is rough. The bore is marginal and the stock was fithy and split up the barrel pretty bad. The cheek area of the stock was so fat it would rip your face off when you fired it. The rifle is a beater at best. I can get my hands on many many more for under $100 in better condition. I like the old army fence posts and I would never desecrate an arm in even "good" condition.

I have pulled the bolt apart and cleaned it, but I will do a better job. I will boil it out as Hotguns suggested.

Ok..guess I won't beat you then! I thought you were chopping up a good one.

Had to go hug mine because it was afraid the evil man was coming for it.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Now that I know how to check the firing pin protusion, I bet I can get her working as good as new.

Thanks

Links