RANGE REPORT: Kel-Tec Sub 2000 40 cal Folding Carbine - Page 2

RANGE REPORT: Kel-Tec Sub 2000 40 cal Folding Carbine

This is a discussion on RANGE REPORT: Kel-Tec Sub 2000 40 cal Folding Carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by sixgun WOW I didnt think a pistol caliber carbine would kick worse than a shotgun. I knew there was something about the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: RANGE REPORT: Kel-Tec Sub 2000 40 cal Folding Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    WOW I didnt think a pistol caliber carbine would kick worse than a shotgun. I knew there was something about the 40 round I didnt like. Thanks for the report. Im starting to take a hard look at the 45 G.A.P round it sounds like a good one. Take care and thanks again on the heads up with the new gun.

Sixgun
    I really don't think the 9mm kicks too much at all.... that being said, the stock is pretty short, and it's hard to get a good cheek weld and put the butt stock into a good firm position against your shoulder pocket. Usually seems natural that the lower corner of the butt stock goes against the upper part of your shoulder pocket, almost as if you're firing a bazooka or LAW... When you do this, it DOES hurt your shoulder. If you get your face down over the stock, and bend at the waist to get a good sight picture, then it does not hurt at all... very light recoil on the 9mm...

there is pretty strong resistance on the recoil spring, however. I too, bought this gun with the thought that my wife would be able to run the gun in an HD scenario. She, however, is totally unable to work the bolt and chamber a round... had to go with 20 ga and birdshot for her to use a long gun....

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Kel-Tec makes a new pistol in 5.56mm and it's basically a sawn down AR. Reminds me kind of like the original BLASTER used by Harrison Ford in the 1st Star Wars movie. NOT something designed for CCW, but it might make a nice truck gun....and it could fit in the smaller bag.....Hmmmmm

That gun looks cool, I've got the SU-16c model and I love it, shoots while folded, so it's basically the best of both worlds! Sorry to hear about the sub 2k being suck a kicker, it looks like a handy little gun.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Had one of these

I used to have one of these in .40 and don't recall the excessive recoil, but did find it didn't produce the level of accuracy I wanted. Seemed to be a sprayer at a 100 yards, which is not that much of a surprise, but wasn't what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlestone View Post
    I used to have one of these in .40 and don't recall the excessive recoil, but did find it didn't produce the level of accuracy I wanted. Seemed to be a sprayer at a 100 yards, which is not that much of a surprise, but wasn't what I wanted.
    My experience with a Sub2000 in 9mm has been all good. I ping the 4" gong at 75 yds pretty regularly which is farther than I would ever intend to use the weapon for anyway. If you can tolerate the plastic trigger and the plastic ghost blade front sight (it took me awhile to figure that out-- just cover the target with the blade) then it's a handy, portable, concealable, inexpensive rifle that uses all the mags that feed my Glock (not the 10 rd short ones though). For KelTec's offerings, I'm a heck of lot happier with the Sub than than that crappy little P3AT (which now resides with 250 rds. in a sealed container somewhere in the ground for seriously rainy day...).

Big fan of this little mule. I picked up one of these earlier this year, Glock .40 version, and enjoy taking it out on the range with a couple 31rnd mags. I've found the sights a little difficult to pin down to a tight group but it hits the target. I would not use this as a long range weapon by any means but up-close to intermediate range, definitely. I bought it for the cool fold in half factor, being able to throw it in a backpack if necessary and to share mags with my Glock 22. Don't regret it.
    NRA Life Member

I went to the range today and shot the Sub. I honestly have no idea what anyone is talking about recoil. It's a ***** cat.

Kel Tec Sub2000 in .40 caliber from the hip

I do not have the short stock extension, but rather installed a red laser with a press switch (a thin, narrow pad with a switch inside) rather than the on-off cap switch. I routed the extra wire inside the forestock after carefully drilling exactly in the center of the 2 halves. Secure the wire with a small 'cable tie' in black . What that gives is a hidden wire and the press switch under the forestock to activate with the left index finger ... for a right hand shooter. I adjusted the impact point with 2 screws in the front of the laser from a rest at 25 yards indoors.

Although I can fire the gun from the shoulder, the sight picture is poor because the stock length behind the grip is too short.

But a laser mounted would allow accurate shooting without 'aiming' ... place the laser on the target and fire. Once you are used to it, it's a good way to use the gun in a combat type mode (versus careful sight aligned aim). The laser was pretty cheap (maybe $35) and just check the battery power on occasion. I noticed you must take the laser tube out of the bracket to change batteries : while in the bracket, the tube is compressed enough to bind the batteries (4 small wafer type called AG13). No big deal... just make a pencil mark BEFORE you remove the laser and bracket. Then reassemble with the pencil marks aligned. With a 30 round glock .40 mag, this is a good street combat weapon if it ever gets to that and .40 in a short rifle is not hard to handle.... especially from a position just above hip-shooting. I notice (with the gun carefully UNLOADED!) that you could carry the Sub2000 under a winter jacket stuck in the pants. It's not a 'solution' but it is doable if you are out in cold weather and it is natural to keep ones hands in jacket pockets watching over the yard or street. A laser aimpoint using this cartridge would stop any animal short of a bear (coyote, person, fox, raccoon, etc.). I do not believe even heavy clothes would impede this round if a 2 legged animal were the serious threat.

I don't think a Sub2000 was intended to shoot 100 yards with the poor sights and too short rear 'stock' design. It's a short range weapon. At 100 yards, consider a lever gun in .44 or .357 or maybe the inexpensive carbine from Hi-Point in .45ACP or .40 .
    ExSoldier likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    I don't think a Sub2000 was intended to shoot 100 yards with the poor sights and too short rear 'stock' design. It's a short range weapon. At 100 yards, consider a lever gun in .44 or .357 or maybe the inexpensive carbine from Hi-Point in .45ACP or .40 .
    Agreed. At 100+ yards, I'd go with an AR15 or a lever action in 30-30. I wouldn't stay with a pistol caliber if the range is lengthening. Too much bleed off of energy and velocity due to the reduced case capacity. You'd have to hold over like a mortar to get the necessary extension in range. Although it certainly CAN be done as the recent shooting of a perp by a good guy in a trailer park shows where the good guy was using a 357 magnum to defend a police officer under fire from a bad guy. In that case, the good guy (citizen) hit the perp 5 times at over 150 yards with a handgun. But it was life or death for the cop so the citizen did what he could at the moment. Yes he hit at that range and yet it still required two more shots from the officer's rifle to put the bad guy down. I'll bet the citizen was wishing he had a Garand or his deer rifle! The perp subsequently died from his wounds. But what do you think would have been the result had he been shot five times with a full house 357 at seven yards instead of 150? I'm betting that even without a C.O.M shot, he goes down. That's what I mean by energy bleed.

By the way, blackdog, post #2. Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by ExSoldier; August 10th, 2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Welcome added
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    what, no pics??

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Tacticool Products - SUB-2000 Buffer Cylinder

This recoil reducing buffer for the Sub 2000 really works as advertised. I have been shooting the Sub 2000 for many years and recoil is very manageable even without the buffer IMO and with hot ammo. Just add the buffer and the Kel Tec stock extension. With the buffer installed the bolt operating handle no longer locks back into the notch to keep the ejection port open because the buffer thickness prevents the bolt from traveling that far back by about a half inch. So I just used the dremel and cut another notch about 1/2" further down the tube. Works perfectly. These small carbine are easy to work on and there are many things you can do with them to improve ergonomics and function.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Tacticool Products - SUB-2000 Buffer Cylinder

This buffer for the Sub 2000 really works. I have been shooting the Sub 2000 for many years and recoil is very manageable IMO.
    Just add the buffer and the Kel Tec stock extension.
    I had the Sub-2000 in 40 and I'll grant you that was an uncomfortable gun to shoot. I really felt the kick in my shoulder. I traded that gun clean for a Beretta M92FS and that was probably one of the best deals of my life. But as is, the 9mm version of the sub-2000 is a pussycat to shoot. I have however had my barrel threaded to accept my SWR suppressor. That required removal of the front sight so I may attach a mini-laser as one poster on this thread suggested. You should see the gun all tricked out. I'll try and post a pic later. But I got it with the Beretta M92 grip/magazine configuration. I have tons of Mec-Gar mags that hold 17, 18 & 20 rds (flush fit) plus a couple of aftermarket 30rd models. With the "can" attached and the 30rd mag in place it looks like something Napoleon Solo would carry in the Man From U.N.C.L.E. !
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Huh, I have the same Sub2K, and did not notice any issues with recoil (180gr FMJ). Having said that, I only have about 200 rounds through it (150 indoor range, 1 IDPA rifle side match). Been a couple of years since I fired it, so I can not make any comments on accuracy - I don't remember. Operation is just a matter of shooting it and getting used to it, like any other gun.

I'd have given it 500 rounds before making the decision to dump it, but that is all academic now.

Recoil is a Mosin 91/30. That steel butt plate lets you know it too. Only weapon to ever leave me range marks.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links