Hi Point 9mm Carbine

This is a discussion on Hi Point 9mm Carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is the Hi Point 9mm Carbine ( model 995) any good? My buddy is looking for a good but cheap rifle until he can get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point 9mm Carbine

Hi Point 9mm Carbine

Is the Hi Point 9mm Carbine ( model 995) any good? My buddy is looking for a good but cheap rifle until he can get enough money for an AR, and we looked at these online. Since I saw one, I'm kind of pondering the idea now too, maybe a range toy. A 9mm, in a rifle, would be good practice for my AR....and MUCH MUCH cheaper.

Thanks
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

I have not owned one, but I have shot one. The accuracy is ok, the consesus us that the quality is not good at all. I'm sure some other guys will come along with more information.

Check the search function. There was an extensive thread on them a while back. The consensus is they are about the ugliest thing to come down the road but they always seem to go "Bang" when you want them to. There is an aftermarket stock that looks like the Beretta that you can slap on for not too much $$ either. I think the biggest complaint has been magazine capacity.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have one and it does in fact go bang every time. Pretty much the "consensus" from those who actually have one is that they are very reliable if very ugly. I haven't had to use customer service, but again the consensus is that CS is very good. And, yes, the big detractor is the 10rd mag. There is an aftermarket 15rd mag but it does not work with the aftermarket ATI stock. The ATI stock does make it not so ugly though and assembles fairly easily. HiPoint is now making a factory carbine which looks better than the originals. Check out the hipointfirearmsforums.com for owners perspectives. You should be able to get a lot of good input there.

Took a defensive long gun class earlier this year and the guy next to me had one. Couldn't get it to zero for crap and then the front sight tower fell off.

If your buddy spends money on one it's just gonna make the wait for the AR longer. The beauty of ARs is he can get parts as he goes. Stripped lower, lpk, stock and RE, then move on to the upper.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    This question comes up every couple weeks it seams........but I will offer what I always do, I would not own a HP pistol but the carbine has been a blast and very reliable and I have maybe 1500 rounds through the rifle. Mine has the ATI stock I installed and I Duracoated the metal and added a couple other items to make it look and handle better. I have no problem hitting an 8" pie plate at 75 yards shooting standing off hand with a Sightmark reflex sight, and hitting a man size target out to 125 until 9mm bullet drop really starts to kick in. Its plenty accurate for a pistol caliber carbine and I have embarrassed several Berretta Storm carbine shooters with it.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Nice Pirate always love seeing bits of your collection of arms. Great looking Highpoint you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Nice Pirate always love seeing bits of your collection of arms. Great looking Highpoint you have there.
    thank you my friend!
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Ex Member
    Cheap, ugly, and ALWAYS work. I am looking for one now...............Wait! That kind of describes me also. :):):)

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I keep hearing that they are garbage, but I have never owned, nor shot one, so, all I have to go on is other peoples opinions. I don't like passing that kind of advice on, so, what I will say is this... If you have the extra $$$ lying around, pick one up and try it for yourself! You may like, you may not, but at most you will end up losing $25-50 to find out and then you will have an answer.

On a side note, I have at home a "Phoenix Arms Raven" .25acp which I got for free... is quite possibly the cheapest piece of garbage I have ever held... I cannot even field strip it. That being said, it goes bang every time, and is fun to shoot! Bites the hand a little, but not bad enough to want to throw it. Point is, I don't think there is much out there that is not fun to shoot, so really, you have nothing to lose.

If you are interested, go for it, if not, find something else you would rather shoot, but do not take others opinions as the only deciding factor in your purchase, by all means, weigh the advice, but make the decision yourself, don't let it be made for you.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

They are awesome! more later, as in soon!!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    I keep hearing that they are garbage, but I have never owned, nor shot one, so, all I have to go on is other peoples opinions.
    Remember we are not talking about Hi Point handguns, this is the HP 995 carbine and its a completely different animal. Hi-Point pistols do not have a breech-locking system like most handguns. The HP handguns are big, ugly and ungainly because they are all straight blow back operated handguns and any handgun over a caliber of .380 that is a blowback design has to have a oversized and heavy bolt to handle the inertia and overcome the recoil spring weight and function. Instead they have large, heavy slides that hold the breech closed through sheer mass and thats why the Hi Point handguns look like they do. In the carbine with a rifle reciever layout this does not matter and the blowback design works well. I would not own a HP handgun but the Carbine gets generally very good reviews from most all shooters and the gun press and should not be compaired with or lumped in with handguns by Hi Point. I own many high end semi-auto rifles and the "cheap" 995 works very well for a very inexpensive price and has about as much fun and grin factor as any gun I own and thats saying something.

A HP 995 and a 20/to/33 round mag would make for some fun for sure.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have one. Added an ATI stock to mine as well. If your friend is determined to save for an AR then he should do that. It's a distraction to get the 995, having said that...

Mine has been utterly rugged and reliable. I did have a bad mag but Hi-Point replaced it and I'm good to go. The trigger is heavy, bad, etc, but still good enough for plinking. Mine is very very accurate and is just a hoot to shoot! They are inexpensively made with inexpensive materials but I have a feeling they'll last a life time. They're rugged, simple, reliable and a bit clunky. The stocks on the new 995's are a lot better than the old ones and the new version 995 locks to the rear after the last shot. The sights are poor but you can buy a full length rail off ebay for $50 and mount some good flip up sights and a reflex or red dot. I had a nice mueller reflex on mine until I moved it to my buckmark. Now I have a cheap BSA red dot on mine. It was easy to sight in and it's seems to be holding zero well. With the ATI stock mine looks like a poor mans Berretta.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably have saved my money up and gotten the Berretta. But it's so much money and I only wanted a 9mm carbine for fun, not serious work.

Still, I wouldn't hesitate to use my 995 for HD with regular power JHP 9mm's.

Gideon

You might also have him look at the Kel Tec sub2000 9mm carbines. They are slightly more money but better built then the Highpoints.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links