Saiga 7.62 conversion (lots of pictures)

This is a discussion on Saiga 7.62 conversion (lots of pictures) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today, my son and I tackled the Saiga conversion. After a ton of internet research, and some help from Rigrat and zero; we got it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saiga 7.62 conversion (lots of pictures)

Saiga 7.62 conversion (lots of pictures)

Today, my son and I tackled the Saiga conversion. After a ton of internet research, and some help from Rigrat and zero; we got it done .

It took a total of 5 hrs, but we took our time. It wasn't really hard; the most difficult thing was trying to maneuver the BHO spring.

Here is our beginning point; it was too hot in the shed, so we did it in the kitchen (mom was at grandma's, so we were okay )

I bought everything online, from Carolina Shooter's Supply

We got it disassembled with relative ease

Then we broke out the power tools

Here's a closeup after we removed the trigger plate. I was pleased to find the trigger hole ready to go for the new FCG

I tackled the bullet guide without a drill press, and it turned out fine

I did have some difficulty, because the tap that I bought with the bullet guide, when I put it into the drill, was too short. The chuck of my drill hit the rifle. Luckily, I have a tri-tap amongst my tools and I tapped it slowly, by hand.

Another difficulty, was trying to figure out just where the bullet guide went. I found just what I needed at Dinzag Arms' website.

After I got the FCG installed, I realized that I needed to install the BHO (bolt hold open). The videos and guides that I had found on the internet, didn't include this step. But, a little perusing on youtube and I found what I needed. It was posted by Carolina Shooter's; unfortunately I had to remove the FCG to install it, then re-install the FCG when done

I was initially going to go with a collapsible, AR style stock, but after some research, I realized that the AK stock is no longer than the AR stock fully collapsed, so I went with the standard AK stock. I also added a Tapco tri-rail handguard. With the addition of the handguard, I am able to use com-block AK mags and remain 922 compliant.

I did have to file down the mag catch a little, to accommodate the AK mags, but neglected to get pictures I also modified the stock Saiga mag, so I can still use it.

All in all; I'm pretty pleased with it

I need a little practice with the camera, but I'm sure y'all understand...

A big thanks again to zero and Rigrat. I got a lot of info from the Saiga-12 forum, a couple of videos on youtube, and one on vimeo.com

It was actually a fun and relatively easy conversion.

Stay tuned at DC.com for a range report...
    Last edited by zacii; July 17th, 2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: grammar
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Good job guy...looks great. I dig the black and tan combo.

Have fun trying her out converted.

Looks good, I may have to give it a try in the future, since I want another ak style weapon to customize. Be sure and give that range report.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Very nicely done and you always get that feeling of accomplishing something good after a build like this. The Saiga conversion is the way to go for an AK. And zero and Rigrat have walked the path before you.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Looks good, I may have to give it a try in the future, since I want another ak style weapon to customize. Be sure and give that range report.
    MAA has their 7.62's on sale.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/s...32-p-1272.html

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    If I wasn't almost done with leave and hadn't already bought more firearms on leave than I have hands, that would be awfully, awfully tempting, thanks for the link though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Zacii,

You and your son did a great job. I can't take credit for any of it except maybe for a little encouragement. I noticed that you didn't trim the length of the BHO lever, I had to trim mine as it rubber my finger. I still have to do the bullet guide myself but just don't have the cash right now for it and have had zero problems without it on my 5.45. I also have to trim my mag lock a little so my 10 rounder isn't so hard to lock in.

All in all you and your son did bang up job. Love the tan color also, I went with OD for my 5.45. I think I'm going to use the Ar collapsible stock on my next when ever that is, LOL.

Now we need a range report when ever you get a chance.

Awesome job! I'm dying to do this.

Senior Moderator
    Good job. I been toying around with the idea of building a few SBS's out of the Saiga 12 guage platform. Thanks for the writeup.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Forgot to mention...I think it is very cool you did the conversion together with your son.

Not only is it invaluable family time, it's good skill sets for a young one to learn.

Congrats again. Let us know how she shoots.

Hey Zacii, did you drill the rivets? Or did you dremel the head off of them? I used the dremel myself and never touched my drill to mine. Was really easy that way and only took about 30 minutes to get the trigger-guard and plate off.

I did like you said also I put the FCG in then it was like , oooops I forgot the BHO. Funny thing was it took me about 5 trying taking the FCG in and out to get the BHO in correctly. was also I slight pain trying to get the safety lever in and in place. Think that was the hardest part of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Hey Zacii, did you drill the rivets? Or did you dremel the head off of them? I used the dremel myself and never touched my drill to mine. Was really easy that way and only took about 30 minutes to get the trigger-guard and plate off.

I did like you said also I put the FCG in then it was like , oooops I forgot the BHO. Funny thing was it took me about 5 trying taking the FCG in and out to get the BHO in correctly. was also I slight pain trying to get the safety lever in and in place. Think that was the hardest part of mine.

I just ground them off with the Dremel, and then punched them out.

After completing the conversion yesterday, my son and I ran out to the hills to just do some quick shooting. Alas, we had a hiccup. Turns out the round head of the screw in the bullet guide, pushed the bolt up just enough to prohibit going into battery.

So, we headed back home, hot and frustrated (it was only 104 yesterday )

My son scrounged around in my neverending box of misc parts, screws, building materials, etc., and found a 6-32 screw with a flat head. Meanwhile, with the Dremel and a few choice , I removed the original screw and replaced it.

The reason for the difficulty in removal, was because the bolt had messed up the hex slot of the original screw, and I was unable to remove it with a wrench.

At first, my thought was to just take the Dremel to it and grind it down even with the bullet guide, but the grinding just worked it loose to where I could pull it out with my fingers.

bullet guide screw.jpg

Voila! Success at last. Again we braved the mighty desert in search of something to unleash the anger of the Saiga upon

We didn't shoot enough to take pictures and do a real range report (it's still coming) but we let fly some lead to make sure everything was working properly.

My boy had a good time; he didn't even bother taking precise aim at the paper plates we had set up. Rather, he just wanted to unload the mag as fast as he could; the apple doesn't fall far...

I will mention that the FCG is the difference between night and day from the old one.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Great solution with the flat head screw.

One thing is for certain with the AK's, the guns and parts tolerances vary....which ironically is what is suppose to make them run well.

The round head on my bullet guide stuck up some when I first put it in too...after a couple hand cycles it started wearing down and I was concerned about being able to get it back out to lock tight it.

Only 104....you must be higher elevation. It's 106 here in the central river valley of NM as I write this. Have braved the heat (and high winds) more than once to test fire stuff.

Good to hear she's running good now.

Zacii, great to hear you got it worked out and running now. I will have to remember about the screw on the bullet guide if I ever install one.

I did take my red dot off of my UTG 978 mount and install my old 3x9 scope in the hopes of shooting a few groups off of the bench to test accuracy, but the rain has other ideals.

nice conversion , I use the same dark earth color on mine too , I going to pick my saiga 308 tomorrow from the gunsmith I put some pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links