AK-74 Barrel Transplant - Page 4

AK-74 Barrel Transplant

This is a discussion on AK-74 Barrel Transplant within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; And with that, we can say sayonara to those obnoxious keyholes... Good stuff Cat...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AK-74 Barrel Transplant

And with that, we can say sayonara to those obnoxious keyholes...

Good stuff Cat
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Way to go Cat, everything looks good all back together. Glad everything lined up good. Now I will be awaiting for the range report. I hope that got rid of those nasty keyholes for you.

Congrats Cat!!!! Do you feel the pride in making a silk purse out of a sow"s ear? Shoot it with pride, it is truely "your" rifle now!!!

P.S. It looks great!!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Great job Cat. Congrats on completing a very cool and practical project.

Bet you can't wait to give her a try.

ENJOY.

Range report:

First target pic.... left side: 52-grain Soviet surplus from 1982. Right side: Silver Bear 70-grain. The 52 grain stuff was fired from about 25 yards, and the 70 grain was from a variety of ranges, from about 25 to about 75 yards.

Second target pic - 52-grain fired by Shadenfreud from a variety of ranges. In his words - "A damn fine grouping."

Shadenfreud firing... note the smoke coming out of the muzzle brake:

DO YOU SEE ANY KEYHOLES?!?

Prognosis: The transplant TOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We fired maybe 150 rounds, most at the targets but some into the berm. We got that gun HOT. Not one keyhole, not one malfunction!

Conclusions:

Century stuff sucks. About the only thing I trust them to do is to set rivets and parkerize stuff. Aside from that, they're hacks.
    If you own a Bulgy 74 with an American barrel, I strongly urge you to order up a real Bulgy barrel and change it out.
    Shootin' stuff is FUN!

This has been an interesting ordeal to say the least.

I want to thank:

Mrs Cat - She very much encouraged me to get this done. Of course, she's laid claim to this rifle, so she 'had an angle'.
    Shadenfreud - This could NOT have been done had he not gotten me access to the 30-ton press. No way.
    Youtube user buildyourownak - I just followed what he did in his vids. He makes it look easy, and if you have the right tools, it is.
    Curtis at AK-Builder.com - he sold me just exactly what I needed to get this job DONE.
    YOU guys - Thank you for the encouragement! This is a cool forum.
    Curtis at AK-Builder
    Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Congrats Cat!!!! Do you feel the pride in making a silk purse out of a sow"s ear? Shoot it with pride, it is truely "your" rifle now!!!

P.S. It looks great!!!!
    Yes I do. I feel like I accomplished something with this one :)

You did a great job Cat I love the outcome. Hopefully I will be able to do mine one day. Then again I may leave it for a 25 yard slam rifle for home defense.

Bump - I'm expecting a friend of mine to drop by soon :)

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Been following this saga and I am glad your hard work, patience and perseverance worked out for you.....now order about 10 spam cans of 5.45x39 from AIM and shoot on bro.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Been following this saga and I am glad your hard work, patience and perseverance worked out for you.....now order about 10 spam cans of 5.45x39 from AIM and shoot on bro.
    Thanks, Pirate :) The transplant's taken, and well - and I now have 2 1/2 spam cans in my inventory!

One was from 1980... one from 1981... and one from 1982.... those essobees don't know what they're doing to me.

I can't tell you how grateful I am to find this thread.

I like knowing that this is an option down the road because I have had the same thoughts regarding the economics of either fixing (if needed) -vs- trying to sell this gun and buying another quality build, but... I have really wanted a chrome lined hammer forged original or quality barrel in THIS gun. I really like the gun.

I have owned a SAR-2 (with that HFCL barrel) before, and it didn't have the receiver and finish quality that this gun seems to have. And, yes, that SAR-2 jammed. Frustrated, I sold it, although I now wish I had not.

I like my Century M-74, and it doesn't keyhole, I think. To be honest I have not tried to shoot it under about 40 or over about 75 yards yet,, and will do so as soon as I get home from this trip. And I will be looking carefully at the rifling. I don't think my groups were all that bad at around 65-75 yards though, maybe 6 to 9 inches or so.

I love the gun. It functions flawlessly. It is beautiful, although I may Duracoat it black some day. I am just glad there seems to be a more economical option than to try to sell the gun. The barrel seems to be the only real weak point with the Century.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links