Truglo Red Dot

This is a discussion on Truglo Red Dot within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm interested in getting a red dot for my AR15. Obviously, Aimpoint and EOTech come to mind. I did find an Eotech I'd like, the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truglo Red Dot

Truglo Red Dot

I'm interested in getting a red dot for my AR15. Obviously, Aimpoint and EOTech come to mind. I did find an Eotech I'd like, the 557.AR223 model.

Searching for more affordable options I came across Truglo. I've been reading mixed reviews some saying they're junk and the red dot doesn't last and doesn't stay zero and so on. My question is, have they used Aimpoint and EOTech before and are spolied by the best of the best? Are they using the Truglo on guns with a lot of recoil causing them to lose zero? I've come across very positive reviews as well, but these reviews may come from guys like me with no experience with red dots, so it's first one they have and there's nothing to comepare to and since it gets the job done, it's great in their eyes.

So, like I said, I have no experience with red dots. I'm not one to buy cheap garbage, but I don't like paying for overpriced stuff either, not saying EOTech is over priced. So any of you who have experience with truglo red dots, or red dots in general, give me your opinion. We're talking $150 (Truglo) vs $600 (EOTech), haha.

The Truglo has 2x magnification, green/red dots, and four different reticles. The EOTech is specially made for the .223/AR15 platform and has bullet drop built into the reticle to 600m.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Well, first of all you need to keep in mind that the EOTech is a true Holographic weapon sight. The TruGlo and the Aimpoint are lighted Dot/Reticle Reflexes so you really cannot compare them since they are totally different animals.

You might want to take a look at the latest generation of Aimshot. I've been hearing/reading some good/positive things about it....at around $140.00
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Check out Primary Arms as well. I have one of theirs and it works just fine.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

I own a few Tru Glo red dots, including a few of the 2x ones and we stock them at the gunshop where I work. Mine have never had a problem, but the biggest round I've shot them with is 7.62x39. I only ever saw one bad one and it was the red-green with the crosshair reticle. The crosshairs were crooked. TG replaced it with no problem on our phone call.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I think it will depend on your uses for the rifle also. If you have it for a fun range gun and for when TSHTF then you probably won't notice a whole lot of difference, if you are wanting it for longer ranges or competitive shooting then you will probably find the difference. FWIW I have a sightmark reflex sight on my AR15 and it is probably one of the cheapest sights you can find but it serves my purposes perfectly. The only complaint I have about it is battery life.

I guess I'm not totally sure what the true holographic benifits are opposed to a regular red dot. I've seen video of red dots and the red dots stays on target no matter what angle you look through it. Is this true for all red dots or just holographic red dots?

And thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at the Primary Arms red dot with the 5x magnifier.

EDIT: After looking into these a bit more. I think I've decided on a red dot that isn't a "scope" but on with the little glass piece like the EOTech's. It just seems like it'd give a more open feel similar with iron sights and you keep your perifial vison unlike looking down a "tube".

The Aimshot looks nice, but an add on magnifier would be nice for so longer distance stuff. Could I buy just any magnifier to work with an Aimshot?

VIP Member
    If you want an EOTech sight without the price, try a Bushnell HOLOsight. I picked one up not to long ago, to play with. Bushnell and EOTech are related somehow and EOTech makes the HOLOsight. It's basically a 551 that has been civilianized. It's really handy for short range work. I've used it for hog hunts with the longest shot being about 100yds. So far I've been pretty impressed with it. You can find them for around $210, if you do your homework. I'm not into AR snobbery, $200 for any scope, red dot or holographic sight is expensive to me. Primary Arms is another good value sight, as well as the Vortex Strikefire and Sparc.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Yeah I keep looking at so many different options, but I keep coming back to EOTech, and Bushnell keeps popping up as well. Apparently EOTech makes the Bushnell sights. I still have a lot of looking around to do before I make a purchase. If Bushnells are basically an EOTech, but half the price, then I think we have a winner. Still magnification would be a nice add on.

VIP Member
    You can add a magnifier to most any red dot. I started by buying from Primary Arms since they sell matching components.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

first time posting here. As far as the TruGlo, be warned. I just picked one up (Multireticle, Dual Color) on my AR and it works great as long as the youre in a low light enviornment. But if the suns out and youre standing ten feet from youre target, you wont see squat. I thpought the battery was dead. Got it back to the house and I saw the reticle fine. For 100 bucks the price is right but not without backup irons for a bright day.

Your battery must be weak, I have a tru-glow red dot and can see mine just fine in bright light or darkness. I just dial the brightness up higher in bright light.

Truglo reddot with a magnifier???

I recently purchased my first gun, it's a s&w m&p 15 22... I am on a limited budget so in order to get out to the range I picked up a truglo reddot...it servers me well considering my gun is chambered in .22 however it's really only accurate At about 25 yards with a pretty tight group. I would like to reach out a little further and I would also like to keep the short range in order too so I've been looking at some magnifiers with the slide ability to switch it on and off when neccesary. One with a price I'm ok with. Does anyone know if a sightmArk 5x will line up with my truglo???? Also open to suggestions as this is my first gun and I'm eager to learn

Buy once, cry once people.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

CJM
    In the world of red dot sights, there's Aimpoint, and everything else.
    -Larry Vickers.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

Truglo Red Dot

If you want a true red dot/short range optic, save up till you can get a real one and it'll last you a lifetime. And why muck up your field of view with messy complicated drop compensators and such?

If you feel like you need magnification, you might consider some of the many 1-4 variable scopes out there. For example, a Millett DMS is a true 1x so it can be used as a red dot, but zoomed in to 4x for distance. I use a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 and am way happier with that than I am a red dot+magnifier. You might want to add up the weights of red dot+magnifier+2 separate mounts vs a 1-4 scope with illuminated reticle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links