Question about AK vs AR debate

This is a discussion on Question about AK vs AR debate within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I see arguments on here and other places all the time about which is better. I'm not here for more of that I just have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about AK vs AR debate

Question about AK vs AR debate

I see arguments on here and other places all the time about which is better. I'm not here for more of that I just have a question about the never ending debates. Why does caliber always come up as one of the primary differences?
    I ask because I know ARs come in a wide variety of calibers including the 7.62x39 and I know that AKs come in at least two different calibers and I have heard that you can get them converted to others. I think that caliber should be a non issue in these debates and it should be about the merits of the individual platforms. I know that "typically" an AR is 5.56/.223 and an AK is 7.62x39 but these platforms are made in other calibers.
    I am not starting an AR vs AK thing, I am not looking for which caliber is better etc... I am simply trying to figure out why caliber is an issue when deciding between the two platforms.

2. Remove Ads

Its true that both platforms come in lots of calibers but I believe the underlying argument is the American Military's M4 or M16 vs Russian/Everybody else's AK-47.
    I believe the argument has got to be dead, or at least on its last legs. Ive heard the stories of the american soldiers in Vietnam throwing down their M16s and picking up AKs but thoes problems have been long since resolved, making the argument pointless.
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

I was wondering the same thing. The AR vs AK argument used to be really a 5.56 vs 7.62 argument. But, that's not true anymore. You can get AKs in various calibers, as well as ARs.

Maybe the controversy will devolve.

*cough*AK*cough
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

no wai d00d! ARs r waaay mor 1337 than ak. ak r dumb
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

VIP Member
    Most people think you should pick a platform and go with the standard round in that platform. I think the reason is a matter of logistics. There a a gazillion mags and parts out there for ARs and AKs if you stick with the standard rounds (standard mags are cheap too). Also, 5.56 and 7.62x39 ammo is cheap and plentiful. Once you depart from the standard calibers the expense goes up and the ability to find parts, mags and ammo goes down. Part of the apeal of the AK/AR platforms is that in an EOTWAWKI type scenario there will be plenty of parts and ammo out there to scrounge. If you have a nonstandard weapon you will be on an island, so to speak.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Most of the issues between the rifles are less important than training with the one you pick.

I've lost count of people who have cool rifles that have trouble loading them, taking them off safe, or don't even have a usable sling for the gun.

People who think the AR is a fragile flower should run have seen my off the rack bushmaster do 1,200 rounds in 2 days with only 1 FTE due to it being dirty, unlubed and requiring a shot of red lithium slime to get it back running again.

People who thing the AK is inaccurate and hard to manipulate need to see the guy in the same class (the other attorney in the class...) run an AK smoothly and accurately as can be.

As to the round each weapon fires...

Its a centerfire rifle round. Shoot people in the chest with it, and they die. If they don't shoot them a few more times till they notice.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy;
    Most people think you should pick a platform and go with the standard round in that platform. I think the reason is a matter of logistics. There a a gazillion mags and parts out there for ARs and AKs if you stick with the standard rounds (standard mags are cheap too). Also, 5.56 and 7.62x39 ammo is cheap and plentiful. Once you depart from the standard calibers the expense goes up and the ability to find parts, mags and ammo goes down. Part of the apeal of the AK/AR platforms is that in an EOTWAWKI type scenario there will be plenty of parts and ammo out there to scrounge. If you have a nonstandard weapon you will be on an island, so to speak.
    I agree with this post. I think this pretty well sums up why caliber comes up in these debates. I don't think there's anything wrong with debating the relative merits of one platform vs the other, especially when a member asks for pros and cons with each in order to help make a decision. There is always the option of not opening the discussion if you don't like the topic...

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I agree with this post. I think this pretty well sums up why caliber comes up in these debates. I don't think there's anything wrong with debating the relative merits of one platform vs the other, especially when a member asks for pros and cons with each in order to help make a decision. There is always the option of not opening the discussion if you don't like the topic...
    I'm not saying I don't like the topic. I enjoy reading people's thoughts on the differences and benefits of each platform. Like I said in the OP I'm just curious why caliber seems to be one of the bigger issues. But what atctimmy said makes sense.
    Thanks for the responses

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Most of the issues between the rifles are less important than training with the one you pick.

I've lost count of people who have cool rifles that have trouble loading them, taking them off safe, or don't even have a usable sling for the gun.

People who think the AR is a fragile flower should run have seen my off the rack bushmaster do 1,200 rounds in 2 days with only 1 FTE due to it being dirty, unlubed and requiring a shot of red lithium slime to get it back running again.

People who thing the AK is inaccurate and hard to manipulate need to see the guy in the same class (the other attorney in the class...) run an AK smoothly and accurately as can be.

Its a centerfire rifle round. Shoot people in the chest with it, and they die. If they don't shoot them a few more times till they notice.

Bingo!
    Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

+1 on the training.

I think just as important though is that certain people like different things in a weapon...and needs to carry what fits them best. I know people who did the same war I did, in the same kinds of units as I did and came out with very different preferences. Some prefer the AR platform that was the M16 for us and some the AK platform that was being shot at us. I was the weirdest of the bunch and ended up prefering our 5.56 ammo, but lusting after the "feel" and solidity of the AK. I don't think any of us are wrong...I'm a big believer that, in combat, the gun that feels best to you and in which you have confidence is the best gun you can have. My reasons for prefering what I prefer are complicated enough for their own thread and probably of interest to very few except me...I am sure those who prefer the other platforms/calibers have similar reasons.

And another +1 for your last line.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

PaxMentis,

I would like to try a 5.56 caliber AK. I really like my two Ak's in 5.45x39. But then again I would love to have a Ar in the fold also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    PaxMentis,

I would like to try a 5.56 caliber AK. I really like my two Ak's in 5.45x39. But then again I would love to have a Ar in the fold also.
    Not sure why, but I thought you had a Saiga .223.

I love mine...but my friends have quit letting me have the first shot at the big Tannerite targets...
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    I'm not saying I don't like the topic. I enjoy reading people's thoughts on the differences and benefits of each platform. Like I said in the OP I'm just curious why caliber seems to be one of the bigger issues. But what atctimmy said makes sense.
    Thanks for the responses
    The comment about not liking the topic wasn't directed at you, it was more of a general statement. There are always those who will jump on and disparage the very topic they saw fit to open, read and reply to in the first place. Some people are funny.

RKM
    Nothing beats the evil look of a black AK-47 >:) I'd love to find a black AK in .308 .. Also, AK-47's are considerably cheaper. Besides caliber, there are the reliablity/accuracy debates. As far as reliablity goes, AK-47 maybe able to be buried in mud and sand and fire without issues, but are YOU really going to put your AK or AR through that much abuse at the range? And accuracy, an AK may not be as accurate as an AR, but it's still going to be plenty effective.

I can't wait to buy an AK-47, I just haven't started to do much research yet. I was looking at Siaga's but don't feel like doing the conversion.

If you want a AK in 308 get a Saiga rifle in that caliber. As far as the conversion my conversion only took about 2 hours and thats because I got ahead of myself and had to remove the FCG twice.

Me I have two AK's want more but also would like to get a AR now. Nothing special just 1 of the lower tier to get started with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links