Defensive Carry banner

Best way to keep a semi auto 12 GA "ready to go"?

15K views 25 replies 24 participants last post by  SubNine 
#1 ·
I purchased a Mossberg 930 Tactical auto loader. This is the first auto shotgun I have owned. I am used to pumps, so I am not real sure how to keep the 930 loaded and ready to go. I know I could chamber a shell, load the tube, and keep it on safe, but I don't feel to comfortable keeping one in the chamber. How do you guys keep yours 'ready"?

#2 ·
I keep my Mossberg 930 SPX with the tube loaded and safety off. I don't have to worry about kids getting it or anything, and all I need to do is rack back the bolt and its ready to rock n roll.

#11 ·
Exactly.

#3 ·
When I didn't have any kids, I kept mine loaded, safety on...(because the gun isn't going to go off by itself)

With kids...loaded, empty chamber...in a safe...

#4 ·
Unless there are kids in the house, why would you feel uncomfortable with one in the chamber? I hunted for years with a loaded chamber, so having a loaded gun in the gun cabinet ready to go is not an issue for me. Most shotgyns require a distinct action to release the safety; they don't "accidently" slip off.

And if I still lived in Charlotte today, it would definitely be chambered.

Reactions: OD* and StormRhydr
#5 ·
Unless there are kids in the house, why would you feel uncomfortable with one in the chamber? I hunted for years with a loaded chamber, so having a loaded gun in the gun cabinet ready to go is not an issue for me. Most shotgyns require a distinct action to release the safety; they don't "accidently" slip off.

And if I still lived in Charlotte today, it would definitely be chambered.
Because...my understanding is that most shotguns are not "drop safe." If I am mistaken on that, please correct me.

I'd hate to go grab the thing, drop it, and "whoops!":redface:

• Love
Reactions: Pocketgunner
#7 ·
What difference does it make toward the type of action the gun has, as in relation to your habits by experience with a pump shotgun?

Even if your only experience prior had been with rifles.
As long guns go the net result as by options would remain same, regardless of action be it manual or automatic in manner of chambering a round from it's magazine.

For more info on this subject read this thread from April 2010.

'Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in?'
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...ense-shotgun-what-condition-to-you-keep-it-in

Cruiser Ready FTW

- Janq

#8 ·
I have a 920 18.5" cyl barrel,I keep one in the chamber of winchester 00 buck low recoil and the mag tube full,side saddle has 2 00 buck and 3 bernanke slugs

#9 ·
Got my Browning semi auto 20 gauge when I was 12: now I'm 60 and have 4 pistols, 2 shotguns, 2 rifles in the house. I've had two negligent discharges, both with the Browning, both in the last ten years. The first one was absentmindedness: the second, I had a trigger lock on the gun, loaded, with one in the chamber and the safety on. I reached under the bed to pull the gun out. Somehow in grasping the gun I must have accidentally clicked the safety off. The round projecting key slot holder on the trigger lock caught on a rough spot on the floor, and the trigger lock actually moved the trigger, discharging a shell into the baseboard; fortunately noone was hurt. NO, I don.t keep a round in the chamber any more, nor do I use that old style trigger lock. nor do I keep it under the bed.

#14 ·
Depends on the time of day. I usually store my Mossberg 590 12- ga. shotgun in condition 4 with the ammo nearby in order to prevent wearing out the springs of the magazine tube. I would have to do a combat or speedload for this condition.
But around 6PM, I do load it in condition 3, magazine tube loaded to full capacity but chamber remains unloaded. But when bedtime comes around, I either leave it in condition 3 or load it to condition 1 with an extra rd. topped off in the magazine tube. I usually alternate between condition 3 and condition 1 every other night during bedtime, and it is also placed on the floor beside my bed as I sleep.

#15 ·
Some advice, Jason - your daily routine is doing more to "wear out" your magazine spring than simply leaving the gun loaded. Springs don't lose their spring rate from remaining mechanically loaded; they lose it by accumulating load and unload cycles. This isn't conjecture, it's fact.

That said, assuming you load and unload once per day it would take about 3 years to accumulate 1000 cycles on the mag spring, which shouldn't bother it in the least. After 10,000 cycles, I would expect to see some relaxation in the spring rate.

The bottom line is that your daily loading and unloading is unnecessary if the only reason you do it is to preserve the magazine spring life. An "administrative check" of your weapon before retiring each night is a worthwhile habit, though.

#18 ·
My pump is - tube loaded, chamber empty, safety off. Is that "cruiser ready"?

it stands up in the corner by my head at night. If I wake and feel I can't reach it and rack it quick enough, a handgun is in reach with out even sitting up in the bed.

#26 ·
I have a Benelli M4 that I keep around for HD duty

Its one of those semi-auto shotguns that is a bit more involved with getting into action, especially with an empty chamber which I do keep empty. I have to remember to hit the shell release that'll drop a shell from the mag tube onto the shell carrier then I can rack the bolt to chamber.

When I first got my Benelli M4, I couldn't figure out why my particular copy wasn't chambering a round when I went to run the bolt to do so. Finally I figured out the design requires you to perform an additional step. It was different from the Mossberg 930 I used to have.

Its one of those stupid moments of "I've been into guns for awhile, you learn one you learn them all!" and the owners manual stays in the box. Well... Benelli showed me!

Wood Gun barrel Shotgun Recreation Machine gun

Reactions: Pete63
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.