Best way to keep a semi auto 12 GA "ready to go"?

This is a discussion on Best way to keep a semi auto 12 GA "ready to go"? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I purchased a Mossberg 930 Tactical auto loader. This is the first auto shotgun I have owned. I am used to pumps, so I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to keep a semi auto 12 GA "ready to go"?

I purchased a Mossberg 930 Tactical auto loader. This is the first auto shotgun I have owned. I am used to pumps, so I am not real sure how to keep the 930 loaded and ready to go. I know I could chamber a shell, load the tube, and keep it on safe, but I don't feel to comfortable keeping one in the chamber. How do you guys keep yours 'ready"?

I keep my Mossberg 930 SPX with the tube loaded and safety off. I don't have to worry about kids getting it or anything, and all I need to do is rack back the bolt and its ready to rock n roll.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

When I didn't have any kids, I kept mine loaded, safety on...(because the gun isn't going to go off by itself)

With kids...loaded, empty chamber...in a safe...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Unless there are kids in the house, why would you feel uncomfortable with one in the chamber? I hunted for years with a loaded chamber, so having a loaded gun in the gun cabinet ready to go is not an issue for me. Most shotgyns require a distinct action to release the safety; they don't "accidently" slip off.

And if I still lived in Charlotte today, it would definitely be chambered.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Unless there are kids in the house, why would you feel uncomfortable with one in the chamber? I hunted for years with a loaded chamber, so having a loaded gun in the gun cabinet ready to go is not an issue for me. Most shotgyns require a distinct action to release the safety; they don't "accidently" slip off.

And if I still lived in Charlotte today, it would definitely be chambered.
    Because...my understanding is that most shotguns are not "drop safe." If I am mistaken on that, please correct me.

I'd hate to go grab the thing, drop it, and "whoops!"
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    it would take one heck of a drop to set it off...i can attest to that with a tumble on a rocky ridge that left the barrel and the butt plate dinged on one of my shotguns...itll take more than you are gonna dish out with it sitting at home...

What difference does it make toward the type of action the gun has, as in relation to your habits by experience with a pump shotgun?

Even if your only experience prior had been with rifles.
    As long guns go the net result as by options would remain same, regardless of action be it manual or automatic in manner of chambering a round from it's magazine.

For more info on this subject read this thread from April 2010.

'Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in?'
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...you-keep-it-in

Cruiser Ready FTW

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I have a 920 18.5" cyl barrel,I keep one in the chamber of winchester 00 buck low recoil and the mag tube full,side saddle has 2 00 buck and 3 bernanke slugs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Got my Browning semi auto 20 gauge when I was 12: now I'm 60 and have 4 pistols, 2 shotguns, 2 rifles in the house. I've had two negligent discharges, both with the Browning, both in the last ten years. The first one was absentmindedness: the second, I had a trigger lock on the gun, loaded, with one in the chamber and the safety on. I reached under the bed to pull the gun out. Somehow in grasping the gun I must have accidentally clicked the safety off. The round projecting key slot holder on the trigger lock caught on a rough spot on the floor, and the trigger lock actually moved the trigger, discharging a shell into the baseboard; fortunately noone was hurt. NO, I don.t keep a round in the chamber any more, nor do I use that old style trigger lock. nor do I keep it under the bed.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    When I didn't have any kids, I kept mine loaded, safety on...(because the gun isn't going to go off by itself)

With kids...loaded, empty chamber...in a safe...
    +1!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I keep my Mossberg 930 SPX with the tube loaded and safety off. I don't have to worry about kids getting it or anything, and all I need to do is rack back the bolt and its ready to rock n roll.
    Exactly.

Another vote for "cruiser ready".
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    What he said.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
    I purchased a Mossberg 930 Tactical auto loader. This is the first auto shotgun I have owned. I am used to pumps, so I am not real sure how to keep the 930 loaded and ready to go. I know I could chamber a shell, load the tube, and keep it on safe, but I don't feel to comfortable keeping one in the chamber. How do you guys keep yours 'ready"?
    Depends on the time of day. I usually store my Mossberg 590 12- ga. shotgun in condition 4 with the ammo nearby in order to prevent wearing out the springs of the magazine tube. I would have to do a combat or speedload for this condition.
    But around 6PM, I do load it in condition 3, magazine tube loaded to full capacity but chamber remains unloaded. But when bedtime comes around, I either leave it in condition 3 or load it to condition 1 with an extra rd. topped off in the magazine tube. I usually alternate between condition 3 and condition 1 every other night during bedtime, and it is also placed on the floor beside my bed as I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Depends on the time of day. I usually store my Mossberg 590 12- ga. shotgun in condition 4 with the ammo nearby in order to prevent wearing out the springs of the magazine tube. I would have to do a combat or speedload for this condition.
    But around 6PM, I do load it in condition 3, magazine tube loaded to full capacity but chamber remains unloaded. But when bedtime comes around, I either leave it in condition 3 or load it to condition 1 with an extra rd. topped off in the magazine tube. I usually alternate between condition 3 and condition 1 every other night during bedtime, and it is also placed on the floor beside my bed as I sleep.
    Some advice, Jason - your daily routine is doing more to "wear out" your magazine spring than simply leaving the gun loaded. Springs don't lose their spring rate from remaining mechanically loaded; they lose it by accumulating load and unload cycles. This isn't conjecture, it's fact.

That said, assuming you load and unload once per day it would take about 3 years to accumulate 1000 cycles on the mag spring, which shouldn't bother it in the least. After 10,000 cycles, I would expect to see some relaxation in the spring rate.

The bottom line is that your daily loading and unloading is unnecessary if the only reason you do it is to preserve the magazine spring life. An "administrative check" of your weapon before retiring each night is a worthwhile habit, though.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links