Socom 16

This is a discussion on Socom 16 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yes I like the Galil alot but I've never seen one for less than 2 grand. Thats a little pricey for a dressed up AK....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Socom 16

Yes I like the Galil alot but I've never seen one for less than 2 grand. Thats a little pricey for a dressed up AK.

2. Remove Ads

If you're not concerned about accuracy, then the AK-47 fits the bill. You can't beat it for the money and it's kind of like the Glock of the handgun world - ugly, reliable, and does what it was designed for. I know you said you want something different - so maybe take a look at the VEPR from Robinson Arms. You can even get them in 308 if you're really sold on that cartridge. Saiga is another option if you haven't looked at them.

The reason I would prefer the smaller cartridge in close quarters is simply follow up. The 308 is a powerful round but it reallly shines on the battlefield (100-500 yards) - not indoors (10-20 feet).

For the longest time I wanted a VEPR in 7.62x39. If I was going to get an Ak it would be in 7.62x39. And then next time I see one I'll do my best to snatch it up. I like AKs and will eventually get one but for now I wan an American gun. I could buy an AR lower locally and then buy an upper online and save a significant amount. But If I get an AR I will constantly be buying tactical stuff I don't need to hang on it (Aimpoint, Vltor stock and grip, rail system, surefire light).

I love the M1As and I'm a little suprised at all of the negative comments. But maybe thats because I specifically mentioned the SOCOM 16. If that is the case and so many dislike them I might be better off with the 18" M1A. And this weapon isn't for CBQ, thats what my Rem 870 is for! It's just for fun (often), hunting (unlikely), and a shtf rifle (even more unlikely).

Lead Moderator
    Try reading up here, and maybe posting some questions. So were complaining of the newer socom, M1A and other Springfield rifles quality not being good.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=6

Also, why spend all that money if you are not that good of shot? Perhaps a SKS or similar might suit your needs as well. Bottom line, its your dough, spend it how ya want.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Life is short. I might as well get what I want. And on that same line of thought, if I don't plan on getting into any CBQ shootouts why would I want an AR with a $400 red dot sight and hundreds of other dollars in accessories? The answer is I don't know. Thats just what I want. I'm not a horrible shot, I'm just not a marksmen. Due to the fact that I go to the range at least weekly now instead on once a month I'm getting much better.

Also I plan on getting an Auto Ordinance M1 Carbine also and I just think it would be cool to have the M1A and M1 Carbine.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    If you are wanting something reliable and fairly accurate don't overlook the M1 Garand.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

The M1 Garand is definitely on my list of future purchases. Especially after I get an M1 Carbine. You just have to have both. But I can't decide on which caliber to get for the Garand. The original 30-06 or the .308.

Are that many people that dislike the M1As or is it just the SOCOMs? Because I've heard for so long that lots of people love the 22" models.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    To me,in your initial post,you have ruled out some of the best battle weapons in the world. If you add up the total countries that use them you will number in the hundreds. But that is your preferance.

For deer hunting everybody makes a 5 shot mag. If you want the origional look,simply put a spacer in the origional mag and tack weld the floor plate on to = legal. There are allot of aftermarket sights available for these weapons also. Especially from Williams.

If your not gonna hunt the bigger deer the 7.62X39 rd will be ok for the closer(100yds)shots. If you reload for the rd. and/or scope the weapon it will make the weapon/round allot better for deer.

Of course the .308 would be even better. But in my expierances,the vast majority of shooters/hunters cannot hit a deer, WHERE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO,out beyond 80(or so) yards with open sights in a real world environment.

Try it sometimes at the range with the shooters that consider themselves a "great" shot. How far out can they hit a 10" pie plate every shot. Have them walk up to the line with the loaded weapon,safety on. Take safety off and fire the (standing/off hand)shot at the plate in 5-8 seconds after stopping at the line. Some can some can't. All will say to you that this is very easy.

There are some great battle rifles out there that make excellent deer,bear,hog,and(so-so) moose gunz.(No M1 carbines please) All are "interesting". All are historically fun. I have killed most of the above with my L1A1,HK91,and AK's. All using reloads and all at simi-close ranges.

I was in the market for a SOCOM 1 at one time, but after looking around and finding that the dealers(even at the gun shows) would not budge from the full retail price, I decided that the weapon was not worth(to me) the $1475-$1650 that they were asking.

You also mentioned bbl length. For the "normal" closer ranges that most of us will take a shot at most game,the length will not matter. Especially if you reload . My L1A1 has been chopped to 15" and a JP brake installed(to come back to legal). Even with this short of bbl,with it's manually operated gas regulation system,it will shoot any load you can throw together. (Now if I could figure a way to shorten the LOP)

This weapon has become a great short(er), thick brush weapon for me,down in the swamps and thick bottoms in which I hunt. -------

OD*
    Thats a little pricey for a dressed up AK.
    I would guess you've never handled or fired one.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

RSSZ- I know the AKs, FALs, ARs, and Galils are all great weapons. I would love to own at least one of each. But the funds of your normal married college student will not allow for this. I don't think my wife will eat ramen noddles so I can get more guns. So I have to pick the weapon I want most. I don't really need any of them. But I have always wanted a Garand or M1A. One of those two and an M1 Carbine will most likely be my next two purchases. The should both serve my fun/hunting/self-defense needs well-enough.

OD- No I've never fired a Galil. I've only handled them and I really liked it, just a little over my price range.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Then...........I would suggest that you purchase a M1A over the Garand. 5,10,20,and 40 shot mags are available. Lots of aftermarket add on stuff for when you get your Phd., and the .308 will kill anything that really needs killin'. Cheap ammo.(civ and mil.)Accurate enough(watch them boys at Camp Perry) and can be scoped. Small parts available anywhere. I would buy the Scout model before the SOCOM. Cheaper,2" more bbl,sights adaquate(or Williams).

M1 carbines are fun. Cheap ammo,but.....gettin' harder to find. Choice of ammo will be a 110 or a 110 or a 110. I have loaded a 125 to some success. The FMJ military stuff will go clean thru a creasote teleplone pole.(for those people that hate the phone co.).

Both great weapons for.......hmmmmm.....whatever. --------

Yeah after this thread I've started to think the Scout model would be best. There is really no need for the 16" barrel, but I don't want the unwieldyness of the 22". The Auto Ordinance M1 Carbines look good and seem to be getting good reviews.

I'm getting my masters in landscape architecture so I've got a while before I can got out and get $2000 rifles.

JD
    Administrator

A rifle that's handy.

I'd suggest a Ruger mini 30, it's light weight, has high capacity and fires the 7.62x39. While every arsenal needs a rifle lets actaully look at what the rifle provides...more accurate fire due to length of barrel and sight radius as well as more capacity in the SA class. the 308 ammo is a little heavy to have multiple mags on your person and usually only have 20 rd magazines. Also the amount of noise and flash from the high caliber and short muzzle make for a good distraction from your target. I'd suggest a mid size rifle like a mini 14 or 30, possibly the 30 Carbine. Each rifle has more capacity and is easier to wield than the heavier 308 and ammo won't be as expensive. One last thing about the 5.56 or 7.62x39, each caliber is either NATO or our enemies ammo. If the sh-- ever hits the fan standard infantry from either side will have your ammo for the taking.

If I'm going to carry a gun that uses the same ammo as either us or the enemy I'd walso carry a gun that uses the same mags. So that would limit me to either the AR or AK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links