Socom 16

This is a discussion on Socom 16 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've already got a good tactical 12 guage (870) , a great carry gun (Kahr PM40), a .22 for practice (Ruger MKII), and a full ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Socom 16

Socom 16

I've already got a good tactical 12 guage (870) , a great carry gun (Kahr PM40), a .22 for practice (Ruger MKII), and a full size big-bore carry gun (SIG 220).

I think my arsenal needs a good semi-auto rifle. But I don't want an AK or AR because everybody has those. I don't really like the look of the FALs. The HK G36 and the Galils are a little too expensive. I want a .308 so that I can use it for deer hunting. It must have a removeable mag so that I can reload quickly. A barrel shorter than 18" is also needed incase I need it for SHTF senarios.

So what am I left with but the Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    I think I'd get the 18" SSR.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

16" with a brake does the .308 no favors. A PTR91, sans flash hider, is 17.25 ", no gas system, and as accurate as you can hope to be. It can also be had for about $7Bills, from Sarco, leaving you spare change for mount (ARMS ONLY- personal prejudice)and optics.

JT
    I was seriously considering getting a SOCOM 16 for a while. The main thing that turned me off was reports about the type of accuracy people were getting. For that much money, I expected a little better. Sometimes I am still tempted, but that’s a lot of money to plunk down.

Here’s a good place to research any of the M1A/M-14 style variants…

http://www.m-14forum.com/

I know you said you didn't like the look, but for that kind of money, you may also want to consider a DSA FAL…

http://www.dsarms.com/

check out the carbine…

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cf...a58carbine.gif

EDITED because I put "DPMS" instead of "DSA".
    Last edited by JT; June 22nd, 2006 at 12:43 PM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I think you might think about a standard Springfield M1A1, I did and
    am very happy with it.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    In .308 i would go with a full size rifle , if you want a short range poodle shooter get an ar or ak , dont handicap your .308 with a 16"
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    I think my arsenal needs a good semi-auto rifle. But I don't want an AK or AR because everybody has those.
    There must be a good reason why everyone has 'em

I agree with Redneck Repairs...if it has to be a short barrel rifle, an AR or AK is the way to go. A .308 should have an 18" or longer barrel.

I like my DSA Congo

YMMV
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

JT
    I have been very tempted to get a DSA. How much did you pay for it?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Don't overlook the AR-10 and it's many variants. Rock River Arms will have their LAR-10 available this summer and it looks to be a sweet rifle. Cheaper and much more accurate than the M14 modeled rifles.

I would re-evaluate the need for a short rifle - especially for SHTF scenarios. In those cases, a longer rifle with a longer sight radius would be just as beneficial if not moreso. The shorter rifle really shines in close quarter combat - and in those cases I'd much rather have something chambered in 223 or 762x39.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I think most states have a magazine capacity regulation for hunting big game. You may want to check into your states laws before going hunting with a high-capacity rifle.

75Scout- I was thinking along the same lines. I can't decide if I like the socom or AR style. Just think about why the socom rifle was developed and for who. Granted the performance is better from a 26 inch barrel but if you talk to anyone who shoots single shot pistols the rifle calibers work very well.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    if you talk to anyone who shoots single shot pistols the rifle calibers work very well.
    Apples and oranges LOL Will the .308 work from a stubby , yes it will , just not well . you need absolute min of 18" ( actually 17.75 ) to get full powder burn from most surplus ammo . The battle rifle shines out past 200 yards and that is where you don't want any velocity degradation . Also Why would you want to weigh yourself down with a full battle rifle , and the attendant weight of ammo if your not going to take advantage of the full possibility's . If you want something which is acceptable at 0 to 3 or 400 yards well the modern assault rifle in .223 ( or in most states due to game and fish regulations ) 7.62 x 39 will provide anything you need in a lighter and smaller package .. just my thoughts on it and my FAL is a stg58 that still wears the original 21" bbl . I just cannot bring myself to shorten it up for a perceived convenience.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I haven't been disappointed with my SOCOM II, however I didn't purchase it for long distance big game hunting purposes....

for long distance big game hunting, I prefer either my Weatherby Mark V in .308 or Remington 700 in .308....

As far as close quarters goes, I'd choose the SOCOM as quickly as my Stag 16" as the .308 makes the .223 bow in reverence -- although the .223 / 5.56 ammo is lighter and takes up less space....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

As for hunting, there are 5 round mags so I should be OK there. And I haven't ever been deer hunting so thats really isn't that much of a factor. I am just saying it'd nice if I could us the rifle for that purpose if I ever decided to go deer hunting. And I live in Texas where long range shots aren't all that common.

I mainly want a rifle that I can have fun with and is a little different from everyone elses AR and AK. I'm not that great of a shot anyways so the inherent accuracy of the rifle isn't as important either.

I don't plan on going to war with this rifle, but if there ever was a shtf senario I'm sure any rifle would be an added benifit to my shotgun and handguns. An I love the looks of the Garand and M1A variants. But I would consider the 18" barrel M1A. It might be the best of both worlds, an increase in accuracy while still being fairly nimble.

OD*
    I mainly want a rifle that I can have fun with and is a little different from everyone elses AR and AK.
    Have you given any thought to the Galil?
    http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapo...lil/Galil.html
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links