I'm looking at getting an AR.

This is a discussion on I'm looking at getting an AR. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I did some searching and couldn't find the info I wanted. I'm looking into getting an AR within the next year or two. But I ...

Thread: I'm looking at getting an AR.

I'm looking at getting an AR.

I did some searching and couldn't find the info I wanted. I'm looking into getting an AR within the next year or two. But I don't know much about what to look for in a good rifle. I am currently going through the selection process for my local PD, but I would also like to use the rifle for home defense, SHTF situations, etc. I don't want to break the bank but at the same time am not wanting to get a rifle that will give me problems when I need it. So what I'm asking is what are some good AR's to look at? What brands, if any, do I need to avoid? What little variations between rifles make a big difference? If a good rifle is going to cost me much, is it worth looking into the FN SCAR or ACR?

2. Remove Ads

I just went through that process. Ended up having a friend of a friend build me one for just under 1k. If I had to buy pre-built, was going to go S&W or DPMS. Gotta pic some up, see what feels good. You'll notice a flame war quick on here, that bush sucks, or rock river sucks, stag sucks, colt is awesome, colt is too expensive, bushy has colt parts. Yadda yadda. You aren't going to get too far w/a question that open ended.

my recommendation is to decide light weight or heavy (narrows down your barrel), decide what kind of upper (flat top, a3 w/a removable handle, a2 with a fixed handle), decide length - is it for target/long range, shorty for indoor, etc, and then find a reputable brand and start your process.

RKM
    S&W M&P15's are great. I bought an M&P15x with quad rail and flip up rear sight for $1000 out the door. It's been fantastic so far. I've handled, but never shot an FN SCAR. It's nice but the guy at the shop said they're not worth the near $3000 price tag.

I don't know ALOT about AR's, still learning, but as far as I know, the good brands are S&W, RRA, DPMS, Stag Arms are a few I know of. Del-Ton's are really cheap, but I'm not sure about they're reliablity.

I mentioned in another thread....for a good technical knowledge base and need vs want, check out www.m4carbine.net
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    I just went through that process. Ended up having a friend of a friend build me one for just under 1k. If I had to buy pre-built, was going to go S&W or DPMS. Gotta pic some up, see what feels good. You'll notice a flame war quick on here, that bush sucks, or rock river sucks, stag sucks, colt is awesome, colt is too expensive, bushy has colt parts. Yadda yadda. You aren't going to get too far w/a question that open ended.
    my recommendation is to decide light weight or heavy (narrows down your barrel), decide what kind of upper (flat top, a3 w/a removable handle, a2 with a fixed handle), decide length - is it for target/long range, shorty for indoor, etc, and then find a reputable brand and start your process.
    +1
    When it comes to ARs there isn't as much of a difference between the major brands as some people want you to believe. There is a lot of brand loyalty with AR owners, I am guilty of it too, though I try to be objective. My advice would pretty much be the same as Tommy's; figure out exactly what you want and then find companies that sell a rifle with that setup. Then go check them out and if possible shoot them and decide which is best for you.
    I have never shot the SCAR or the ACR but I have heard good things. I like that the ACR has the different barrels to go from 5.56 to 6.8 but you could always just buy a new upper for an AR and essentially do the same thing. You would just have to decide if the price tags are worth it.
    FWIW I have a DPMS and have never had any problems with it. I paid right around 700 for it and it suits my needs. As with most things it all comes down to personal preference. As far as brands to stay away from, as long as you stick with the well known companies, Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, Stag, etc... you should be fine.
    Just my .02

A lot of people mention Colt, LMT, Noveske, BCM, etc because of all the inspections they go through. For example, bolts and barrels are high pressure (HP) and magnetic particle inspected (MPI). Some companies don't do that. Also, some companies don't even stake the gas keys properly. The "higher tier" ARs have gone through this process and there's really no need to change or fix anything. Just take it out of the box and shoot it.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

I am loyal to Bushmaster I think they make a real good AR. Just my opinion.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I mentioned in another thread....for a good technical knowledge base and need vs want, check out www.m4carbine.net
    Ditto. BCM is running a sale on their uppers right now too. After having a cheaper AR go down during a class, I'll pay a small difference for something built to a higher standard.

My next M4 will be a BCM M4gery.....

Check out www.bravocompanyusa.com
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I have a Rock River Arms "Entry Tactical" LAR-15 in 5.56mm, bought brand new for $880. So far, no problems of any kind and accurate as hell too. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Again, depends on the user. There are other good ones too such as FN SCAR, like you mentioned, Bushmaster, DPMS, SIG, S&W M&P, Colt, etc. Regardless of what brand you buy, I also highly recommend extra bolt parts, since certain parts of it can wear out (recommended for extractors to be replaced is 3,000 rds.) and buy lot of 20-30 rd. magazines. A lot of GI issue mags are also cheap and you never know if the AWB might resurface. Also if you buy it in 5.56mm, you can use both 5.56mm and .223 caliber ammunition. But if you buy it in .223 caliber, you can only use .223 caliber and can't use 5.56mm. I also recommend not adding too much unnecessary accessories for it (mounted tactical lights are okay) if all you are using for it is for home defense at close quarters.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Download the CDNN Sports catalog. $700 for M&P, and I hear there's a $100 rebate also. Slap on whatever sight system you prefer and fire away.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links