Mossberg 500, HD customization COMPLETE!!!

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500, HD customization COMPLETE!!! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've transformed my Mossy 500 into my ideal HD tactical weapon. Pics below. Here's a list of things I've added: Butler Creek steel folding stock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 500, HD customization COMPLETE!!!

I've transformed my Mossy 500 into my ideal HD tactical weapon. Pics below. Here's a list of things I've added:

Butler Creek steel folding stock - the steel is a little heavier than the composite folding stocks, but it is simple and easy to operate. More comfortable for me, and provides some balance when unfolded. Folds out of the way so you can use it either way. Comes with swivel anchor. I liked the way it mounted and the pistol grip fir my hand well and had a comfortable trigger distance. It's not adjustable, but it happened to be the length I needed.

Side Saddle 6 shot - mounted weak side for easy re-loads on the fly. It does not get in the way on the Mossy 500 stock fore end. Easy to install and does not require permanent modifications.

Sling - It came with swivels and anchors (one screw-in butt stock anchor and one mag tube cap with anchor. I just screwed the anchor into my stock mag tube cap. I did have to modify the sling to work for me. It was basically a shoulder sling. I took the screws out of the loop rivets and let the overlap out on each end and put them back it. This made it long enough for me to use as a tactical sling. It isn't adjustable on the fly, but this worked out great for the length I needed. It was also very inexpensive and came with everything I was searching for in one package.

Flashlight with strobe and remote pad - thanks to fellow member SigP250 for the recommendation of this light from Combat Optical. Simple, easy, and doesn't break the bank. Works GREAT. Comes with push button end cap to use as a regular flashlight and also a remote pressure pad end cap and mounting ring for tactical light. The strobe feature is AWESOME. Hold the pad down for regular light, let off and hold it down again for strobe. The mounting ring that comes with it isn't the greatest. I had to get a little creative with it to make it work, but the end result has some benefits. The ring is actually only around the end cap which moves the light forward enough that it doesn't get in the way of the fore end. It also makes it possible to unscrew the light from the pressure pad end cap and install the button end cap to use as a regular flashlight without having to unscrew any of the mounting hardware. I also bought a mag tube tac rail and mounted the light at 3 o'clock. I actually used black tape mount the pressure pad to the fore end once I found the right spot. We'll see how the tape holds up. This was a VERY affordable light and came with everything in one package.

All in all, it came out exactly how I was envisioning and is functional and versatile. Just thought I would share the project I've been working on and thank SigP250 for the light recommendation.

DSC01264.jpgDSC01265.jpgDSC01269.jpgDSC01270.jpgDSC01267.jpg
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

A good looking boomer, that should serve you well.

Yours and mine are virtually identical, except that my light doesn't have a remote switch, just an endcap button.

I agree with you that the Butler Creek metal folding stock adds balance, and it has a cheek protector. Once I added that, the gun became extremely accurate and easy to handle. I'm loaded with #1 Buck. For most HD situations, I imagine that the .357s are going to be sufficient, but it's good to have this much firepower ready just in case.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

For me, the 12 ga has become my primary HD weapon. A bump in the night, it's the 12 ga. I might answer the door in the afternoon or evening with a handgun in pocket and have one in reach, but I'm just using that to hold anything off and get me to the 12 ga.

That is a great looking rig!
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Very nice rig you got there. I'd like to get a extra wood buttstock to shorten and get a sidesaddle for mine.

jon
    Very nice, I love my Mossy.

Nice stock!!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VERY NICE! Good Luck with it!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member
    Excellent!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Nice. If you can rack the slide and chamber a round with one hand then it meets my criteria for a true home defense shotgun. Everything else is just stuff IMO. In the end there's no show..............just how you come out of it alive. Most of what impresses me is staying alive. Eye candy is fine so long as it meets the application. Stay above ground as long as you can.

Ex Member
    I stopped a break in a few years ago with my 500. One of my dogs alerted me someone was outside. I grabbed the shotgun and looked out the window. There was a guy at my door with a pry bar. I racked the slide, he heard it and suddenly decided he wanted to be someplace else. Man that guy could really run.

Everything I did to mine I did to improve function not really to decorate. I've never figured out a way to hold a flashlight and operate a pump shotgun, so i mounted a light. Pick it up and have 11 rounds in ready acccess with quick re-loads on the fly without having to look away. Every single item I added or changed was a purpose-driven. There were lots of things I considered that i did not add that I could have, but I just felt for the purpose of this weapon, they didn't improve the function for that purpose. Now for a tricked out fun gun, a co-worker of mine is bringing me a Mac 11 to look at Tuesday. It's loaded with every accessory possible and he wants $400 for it.

Which light is it from combat optical?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Everything I did to mine I did to improve function not really to decorate.
    Exactly. My MB500 pretty much built itself.

Starting out as a Mossberg Persuader, it was PGO and a few trips to the range convinced me that Lee Lapin and Dave McCracken at the High Road were right - runs better with a stock. For HD, it's essential to know what you're shooting at, so a light made sense. Got a 200+ lumen custom-built Cree LED model and mounted it with a simple barrel brace. Wanted to be able to perform an administrative reload, so added a side saddle, and the sling functions as a holster. Each part was added in turn to meet basic needs. Anything extra would be too much, and anything less would be too little.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links