HD Shotgun zero-ing for slugs

This is a discussion on HD Shotgun zero-ing for slugs within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just reviewed my hd shotgun materials and refreshed on my setup, etc. I noticed a discussion about zero-ing for slugs at 75 yards. Honestly ...

Thread: HD Shotgun zero-ing for slugs

Distinguished Member

HD Shotgun zero-ing for slugs

I just reviewed my hd shotgun materials and refreshed on my setup, etc. I noticed a discussion about zero-ing for slugs at 75 yards.

Honestly I have not done this at 75 yards, and am wondering how those who use some slugs for hd ammo handle this.

I found this article that confirms the 75 yard recommendation as I originally thought it could be a typo.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/shotgun.htm

Comments or thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    That would pertain to those who use slugs for deer hunting. If you are using slugs for home defense zeroing will not be necessary unless you live on ten acres of land and plan to shoot an intruder before he ever gets to your house.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I would NOT recommend slugs for HD use, unless your planning on having the round penetrate through the perp and a couple of walls....

Agree with above for use of slugs for inside HD. With that said, my ghost ring is set for 100yd hits, Kentucky windage for other ranges.
    Possible use, urban unrest.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Other than pushing a large (and very effective) chunk of lead, the use of slugs sort of negates the advantage of a shotgun for HD--large target coverage at close range. With a slug, you're back to a hit-or-miss situation. But if that's what you want to do, zero it in. After 75 yards or so, the trajectory starts to become rainbow shaped. Some of the newer slugs (sabots) are better, but still....
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the inputs.

I am not advocating this, it just caught my attention in class materials because I had not heard of this before and was wondering if anyone does this. It sounds like not from the sample of thoughts here.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Shotgun slugs, particularly 12ga, have been known to penetrate engine blocks at close range. There is just no need for that kind of ammunition at close range inside of a building or house unless you are very very qualified at using a shotgun in CQ. I am not even sure slugs are part of any law enforcement team other than those that encounter wild animals while on duty.

Inside for home defense, buckshot it probably best and is certainly effective enough.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

If you have a have rifled slug barrel and switch to buckshot, you better try it on a paper target. Ours spread the pattern so much on 00 and 000 that only 3 of 16 (00) and 2 of 9 (000) hit the target (24" X 48") and they were 20 inches off aim point at 20 yards. The rest spun off into the great beyond...

I too read my owners manual cover to cover, and it seemed like it was written to cover all versions of the 870. Not just the one I bought.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I agree with the above, use OO buck, will stop pretty much any human target. If you wish to shoot slugs a lot, get a mould and make your own. We have a guy up here tape up birdshot as a poor mans slug and it seems to work fairly well according to him. Another guy buys the target loads and melts the birdshot and pours it into the slug mould.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I agree with the above, use OO buck, will stop pretty much any human target. If you wish to shoot slugs a lot, get a mould and make your own. We have a guy up here tape up birdshot as a poor mans slug and it seems to work fairly well according to him. Another guy buys the target loads and melts the birdshot and pours it into the slug mould.
    Seems like a lot of work for nothing, I'm happy with 00 buck in my coach gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Slugs not good for close range HD....HOGWASH. Benneke Tac HD the best urban load out there. At HD distances, you still have to aim with bird, buck or slug. LE does use them.
    Check them out and check out the ballistics

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/l_products.html
    Bob

Glock 30sf Ruger LCP Remington 870 HD Hi-Point 995TS Sig 556

"I'm not Paranoid.....I'm Prepared"--SGT T

Senior Moderator
    The 75 yard zero is mentioned because the average shotgun slug has a 10" drop at 100 yards if sighted in a 25 yards.

While the slug has a tremendous amount of penetration due to its sheer mass, it has the ballistic coefficient of a brick. That account for the rainbow trajectory that it is famous for.

With a 75 yard zero, range estimation is a not as critical at normal deer hunting ranges because the drop is only a bit over 1.5 inches. Having a 75 yard zero takes it out to around 130 yards for the same 10"drop.

This is using a standard load of a one oz. slug that travels around 1250 FPS which is a pretty typical load.

Calculated Table
    Range Drop
    (yd) (in)
    50 1.3
    75 -0.0
    100 -2.9
    125 -7.3
    175 -21.3
    200 -30.9

The newer slug loads use a much lighter slug made of brass or lead which uses a sabot that allows much higher speed, increasing the useful range because it has less drop.

For a home defense shotgun none of this really matters unless you are using it to hunt with. For home defense though, it will shoot through several walls without any problem at all, so it's not a good idea to use it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yep, 00-Buck is the way to go for most situations.
    But remember that even out of a 18" smooth bore, you still gotta' aim it. It ain't a magic wand. A rifled barrel will do funny things and IMO has no place for HD (maybe WROL).
    Some people claim that the frangible slugs are great for HD shotty. I have no experience with them, so I can't speak to that.

For hunting purposes, yes. I agree with earlier posts on the logic of 75yds. When you are taking a deer, the slug will hit closer to POA for more of the effective range of a typical smooth bore with rifled slugs.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Only reasion I have slugs in my sidesaddle is if he gets behind cover that buckshot won't penetrate,then he gets a hunka lead his way
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links