Defensive Carry banner

Found my *soon* to be new battle rifle....

8K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  tacman605 
#1 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Nice, what kind of optics you planning on running on it Devil Dog? Should get a lot of fun out of that rifle. Just remember what your PMI's taught ya.

#20 ·
#8 ·
Oh yea, when I was going through my academy training I got to fire a couple mags out of the full auto, short barrel version of the Sig556 SWAT. IT WAS AWESOME! For me though I was looking for something in the AR format. NOW I HAVE FOUND IT!!!!! What a great looking rifle!:) And its a SIG!

#9 ·
BuckeyeLCpl - planning on having a couple of optics "kits" (gonna take a long time to assemble them though)
Kit 1 - Light Weight; iron sights, simple broomstick verticle fore grip.
Kit 2 - CQB; verticle foregrip/light combo, green laser side mount, EOTech holo sight.
Kit 3 - Precision Shooting; Bipod, US Optics 3-8 variable power scope.

Yea, sounds expensive.... probably will be! :) but man its gonna be fun!

#16 ·
#21 ·
I like that gun a lot....I do agree that a comparable gun could be built for just as cheap if not cheaper.

#27 ·
Though this is true, it falls back to the same reason anyone would buy a Noveske AR/M4 Rifle... it's the name on it and the services that go with it.

I have a few "Franken-guns" built from various parts/manufacturers, from Double Star to DPMS to RRA to Colt, Wilson Barrels (because I can't afford Rock Creek), and have no issues with any of them... but to buy a complete rifle from a company like Sig just gives you a little comfort zone while operating it, knowing that they're backing the rifle 100%.

#23 ·
fernset - speaking as a reasonably exerienced AR guy (there are Guru's on this site that kick my but up and around the corner, so please correct me if I am wrong)

The M&P is a good quality rifle, it uses direct impingement which means that the gasses from firing go through a tube and push DIRECTLY on the bolt to unlock it and cycle the next round. This leads to a fair amount of carbon getting blown onto the working parts of the gun. This is how AR's were designed and have been operated for about 40 years. S&W's, while built as quality fire arms, do not meet "mil spec" or "military specifications" on what materials are used and how some of the parts are put together. This is the case with probably more than 90% of the civilian AR's out there however, and like I said, they are still a good quality fire arm and I would not expect them to ever give you any real problems.

The Sig is a "piston operated" weapon, instead of the gasses from firing pushing directly on the bolt, they push on a piston, which in turn pushes a rod against the bolt - cycling the weapon. You drastically reduce the amount (but not eliminate) of carbon and other by products that accumulate on the working parts of the gun. The other advantage that some (including the Sig) have is the ability to change the settings on the gas "regulator" so that you can allow more or less gas to push on the piston based on how efficiently the weapon is functioning. AS I UNDERSTAND IT the Sig is made of "Mil Spec" parts, and Sig does have the reputation though its SIG556 ( a similar platform designed by Sig) as building some of the highest quality piston driven 5.56 caliber assault rifles in the world.

I and also (rightfully so or not) a little skeptical of the "frankenstein" AR's out there where people put together many different brands of parts. I prefer all the operating parts to have the same level of quality control (for better or worse) and have a gaurantee for the rifle as a package.

Most of this is my opinion, and as such I am sure many will disagree.
However YOUR rifle comes down to YOUR preferances, some of which I may agree with, others, not so much.

In my line of work I will be planning on putting 100k rounds through this baby over its life time, and many of those rounds will not be in the best of climates. I am looking for a battle rifle, and until some one shows me something better.... well I think this is the one for me!

#24 ·
Note:

This thread is not about the Sig '556', which is not an AR15.
It is about the new Sig '516', which is an AR15 with gas piston design.

There is a significant difference between the two and not just in nomenclature.

Sig '556' ~ 5.56mm

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=35

Sig '516' ~ 5.56mm

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=69

Sig '522' ~ .22LR

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=66

Be sure not to mix nomenclature and/or mental imagery of product as one does not at all match the other.

Just an FYI.

- Janq owns a Sig '556 SCM'

#25 ·
#29 ·
Fernset:
I dont think one is necesarily better than the other, I just happen to have 11 years of constant training on the AR-15 syle rifle, have carried in combat and as a patrol officer. The SIG 556 is by all accounts a fine rifle, and if that is what I had been trained on it is probably what I would use.

The 556 is a independently developed assault rifle, until fairly recently (and some production rifles still) it did not accept AR-15 magazines. SIG makes a very good rifle, with a very reliable piston driven operating system. The 516 is the AR develpoed by SIG, I am excited about it because SIG has in the past done a spectacular job with piston driven assault rifles.

JANQ:
correct me if I am wrong, but S&W has a tendency to chamber their rifles some as .223 and some as 5.56, some 1:9 twists, some 1:7 twists, etc etc. Plus they are fairly new to the piston driven assault rifle market. In this case I am willing to pay what is probably a few more $ to get a Sig product. Hopefully that doesn't bite me in the butt.

#32 ·
JANQ:
correct me if I am wrong, but S&W has a tendency to chamber their rifles some as .223 and some as 5.56, some 1:9 twists, some 1:7 twists, etc etc. Plus they are fairly new to the piston driven assault rifle market. In this case I am willing to pay what is probably a few more $ to get a Sig product. Hopefully that doesn't bite me in the butt.
One thing that S&W has over Sig is they aren't being sued by LWRC and Adams Arms for copying their designs.

#33 ·
Seems like alot of folks on that thread have a fanboy fetish going on. Also alot seem to have some kind of built in hysteria to piston driven AR's. The lawsuits do concern me however - have you seen any verification, or is it all cyber chatter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.