MRP or ACR

MRP or ACR

This is a discussion on MRP or ACR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay okay I think I may drink the kool-aid and get a piston 5.56 not because they are the latest and greatest and are quote ...

Thread: MRP or ACR

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

MRP or ACR

Okay okay I think I may drink the kool-aid and get a piston 5.56 not because they are the latest and greatest and are quote more "reliable". I simple hate cleaning guns and cleaning the chamber on an AR is so annoying for me, maybe not for you but I would rather you pull my fingernails out then ask me to clean my ARs.

My reasoning for either the ACR is MRP is driven by two factors.

I want something I can actually hunt whitetail with in VA (.223/5.56 is not a legal white tail cartridge), and if 6.5 grendal brass or 6.8 SPC brass ever becomes more readily available I want something that utilizes the most popular cartridge of that period in time.

I’m leaning more towards the MRP since I have a fully assembled LMT lower, and all I would need to due is purchase the MRP upper, and it will be very ergonomical familiar. I'm not sold on the ACR just yet, but it still up the running. Anybody have the two and has done a comparison?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    I understand not liking to clean an AR chamber, but (for me) it certainly isn't worth the expense of a piston upper. YMMV, of course.

As to the second factor, I guess I'm missing something. You can get a DI upper in 6.5 or 6.8 just as easily (more easily, I would venture) than a piston upper in those calibers...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I understand not liking to clean an AR chamber, but (for me) it certainly isn't worth the expense of a piston upper. YMMV, of course.

As to the second factor, I guess I'm missing something. You can get a DI upper in 6.5 or 6.8 just as easily (more easily, I would venture) than a piston upper in those calibers...
    I hear what your saying. Currently, I have 2 DI AR's, A SBR Noveske lower with a 10.5 upper and it runs great expecially with the KX3 on the front. I have a 24 inch A2 Flat top varmint AR thats DI and it runs to. Then I have this LMT lower with a Timny trigger installed and a SOPMOD stock on it, currently I have a Spikes 22Lr Dedicated on it, but why not buy the MRP upper and mate the pair technically I would then have a complete gun and not a parts gun (why not get it with the Piston) .
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Agreed on all points - it was the caliber thing that confused me. You could buy a DI upper from any number of manufacturers in any number of calibers without going piston. If you just WANT a piston (like I want a Noveske SBR to complement my SPR), then go for it, I just don't think caliber options/selection enters into it. Of course, I could just be being dense this morning... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Links