Help me shoot my ar straight

This is a discussion on Help me shoot my ar straight within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So a friend of a friend builds ar's. I have a 16 inch match grade stainless steel wilson barrel on it, with a sms stripped ...

Thread: Help me shoot my ar straight

Help me shoot my ar straight

So a friend of a friend builds ar's. I have a 16 inch match grade stainless steel wilson barrel on it, with a sms stripped lower and decent guts. For some reason, the windage on the rear sight has to be pegged all the way over to the right to get it on target. Gun pulls hard left. Tried swapping out the irons, and it still needs to be pegged right. Any ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    So a friend of a friend builds ar's. I have a 16 inch match grade stainless steel wilson barrel on it, with a sms stripped lower and decent guts. For some reason, the windage on the rear sight has to be pegged all the way over to the right to get it on target. Gun pulls hard left. Tried swapping out the irons, and it still needs to be pegged right. Any ideas?
    What type of front sight does it have? Is it pinned or is it a combination gas block/front sight? Sounds like the front sight needs to be moved so that the rear sight can be more centered.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Do you have an optic you can try? It may allow you to see if the front sight is off with the cowitness after you zero in the optic.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

It has a gas block w/four rails. Front iron sight connects to it similar the rear does, and it's not windage adjustable from what I can tell. I tried throwing my buddies bushnell scope on it, but I couldn't get the elevation right to get the barrel on target.

Sounds like the gas block is canted.

Get it into a steady rest, verify the the receiver is level, an then check if your gas block is level. Odds are, it's canted to the left.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Crazy question...I'm no rifle armorer....but is the barrel square to the upper? It might be a barrel installation issue....???
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Crazy question...I'm no rifle armorer....but is the barrel square to the upper? It might be a barrel installation issue....???
    The AR-15 barrel is notched with a "key" that fits into a slot on the upper receiver. You really cannot put the barrel on but one way. What can happen though is the gas port, that is drilled into the barrel, could be drilled out of perfect index. When you align the gas block to this gas port it may not be in perfect alignment. When you mount the front sight, which is also your gas block, it may be "canted" off to one side slightly. This will cause you to have to adjust the rear sight windage off to one side or the other to compensate.

There is some small amount of "tolerance" to the front gas block and you should have enough room to move it enough to get it more centered along the center line of the barrel.

One way to check it is if you had a laser sight that mounts to the upper receiver rail like a regular scope. With low mounts it should be low enough to where the laser beam could actually intersect with the front sight post. Using this laser you could then adjust your front sight/gas block to the laser which would put it where it should be then you could adjust your rear iron sight correctly.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Sounds like the gas block is canted.

Get it into a steady rest, verify the the receiver is level, an then check if your gas block is level. Odds are, it's canted to the left.
    Exactly what I'm thinking. Several years ago I had bought a brand new Bushmaster that I couldn't get to hit paper at all at 25yd. Sent it back and they fixed the problem......front sight/gas block indexed wrong.

i handed it off to the guy that built it for me just after I posted this. the gas block did seem to have some carbon / black build up outside it - maybe it's not aligned properly. I"ll give him a few days, and if he doesn't have an answer for me yet I'll give him a call and suggest checking the gas block. Thanks guys!

Got the gun back - gas block was loose and a little off - you guys were right on the money. Haven't gotten out with it yet, but I expect good results. Thanks!

I just use the BFH method,adjusting sight alignment for generations
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

haha-I used that method to get my iron/porcelain bath tub out of my house (in 2-3 pieces), but something tells me it may not be the best option for sight alignment.

When I was a cop in the 80's we were issued S&W 681 357 magnums w/4" bbl,they were fixed sight guns and the way you adjusted POI was the armorer had a couple tools,he would rest the frame in one kinda like a vise,and then he wold ask where the bullets were hitting and whack the barrel in the opposite direction to adjust windage and elevation,I believe 1 whack per inch of adjustment
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ouch!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links