Coulda died at the range today (Niagara Gun Range)

This is a discussion on Coulda died at the range today (Niagara Gun Range) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Niagara Gun Range sucks! Buffalo Gun Center sucks too! Maybe it's just the mentality in the region. The Homeland Security contract that the Niagara Gun ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Coulda died at the range today (Niagara Gun Range)

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Niagara Gun Range sucks! Buffalo Gun Center sucks too! Maybe it's just the mentality in the region. The Homeland Security contract that the Niagara Gun Range has secured has made them apathetic to the paying customers. Similarly, the Buffalo Gun Center is really the only game in town as far as a full service - full featured gun store is concerned. As a customer who has grudgingly shopped there for many years (albeit only for powder and primers nowadays to avoid the hazardous shipping costs) I can attest to the fact that they feel like they are doing you a favor when you buy something from them. Don't ask too many questions because you only get about 6 minutes to make up your mind on a $1000 sale or else you start to get the stink-eye from the salesman.

I have my own little secret range with a 250 yard lane and a concrete top shooting bench. Fresh air and privacy make for enjoyable range time.

2. Remove Ads

Some of the guys at BGC are decent. 2 let me handle handguns w/out my permit yet, one let me take a sig into their bathroom to see the diff between the regular white dot's and the night sights. Depends on what you're looking at - when I was looking to buy my AR they were completely useless, but I think they get a lot of idiots in there groping the merch too. Can't say I blame them. Rifles? Forget about getting help. Trap/field guns - find the right guy and they'll talk to you for days. Just depends on what you're buying, and if it appears you're actually going to. They are a bit over priced, but you can't beat their selection. My 12 came from gander because it was about $50 cheaper, but my pistol will come from BGC.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Thanks to those in my defense and for the OP I was not directing anything at you.

The problem with text format in forums; there is no way to get the emotion or verbal direction across, not that its a big deal to me anyways. The whole emotion thing.

I was speaking to the general public not you in general.

I have seen many idiots in the military and some I have had the pleasure of tackling and putting in the back of a truck on the gun range just to have the Gunners Mates take them back to their units with a really bad report for their Chiefs. (Navy talk here).

A sailor actual shot another sailor on the range in the leg during a basic qualification shoot. The 9mm round hit the outside of this boot and took some leather with it but didnt make contact with any flesh. Needless to say after many hours of training and instruction this idiot decided to turn around and face the other shooters on the line with the 9mm baretta pointed at them. Then after we yelled to all high holy he got scared and jerked the trigger. We are just lucky that person didnt a land a round on someones torso or face.

I guess what I meant, not tooting any amount of horn that I dont have, was the fact that I was a firearms instructor at one point and simply put "it is in my blood".

You see alot of people on these forms yell at me constantly, why, I guess I am completely 100% insensitive. I really dont care about feelings. They are always in the way of rational thought and always cloud your ability to move and not hesitate in life.

The story above is when I was a basic fleet sailor before I got bored and went on to Coronado life.
    Definitely. I have seen some of those careless handling situations during my almost 16 yr. Navy career. Like you said, one of the shooters on my
    2nd ship pointed the gun back at the people behind him as they yelled not to do that. And when I did a tour as Security Police with the Naval Security Force in Yorktown, I even heard of one of their SPs negligently discharged a Mossberg 500 in a clearing barrel. Lucky no one was hurt. Again, you can never be too safe and watch your Ps and Qs. Some in the fleet just don't get it or just don't care after a gun safety brief.

And I honestly thought the military would be diligent on safety and training to minimize **** like that. Kinda surprising. I have a friend that's a Marine and an Air Force reservist (his 4 yrs w/the Marines is up, but I'm afraid to call him a former Marine), as well as his bro who's a Navy reservist - both seem to handle their **** well around fire arms. Haven't shot w/them yet, but they've handled my AR and 870 and didn't make me nervous at all. Granted, both were empty, but still.

And the fact that you mentioned that they were "inner city youth" and was neccessary or relevant because...
    I especially liked the part where you said "they shoot like all their friends that you see on cops." Come now, really? It's pretty apparent that your main issue with these kids in which you were so compelled to talk about has more to do with how they looked rather than how they handled the pistol. If it was that dramatic then I'm pretty sure the workers would not have been so nonchalant about it. I think you're on the wrong blog.
    SayVandelay likes this.

The problem here isnt the kids. It's that the people working there weren't doing their job. Where I live it's all the rural knuckleheads that act like idiots, but the range officer is smart enough not to let it continue
    atctimmy likes this.

I don't go to ranges where they rent guns.......but that's just me.

This is precisely why I joined a real gun club and never go to public ranges. Besides the fact they are nearly useless in your training of a firearm and nothing more than a place to waste good ammo and "feel" like you are actually doing something. I also never go shooting without carrying and being fully prepared for anything. If someone starts shooting my way I might return fire! I'm just glad you are so aware of surroundings and not harmed. Lesson learned.... I also hate giggly girls on ranges with their 21 year old boy friends unloading rental guns. I refuse to tolerate this kind of thing ever again.

You can pay $20 a month and shoot USPSA one week, then another $20 the next weekend and shoot IDPA. Then drive a town over and repeat, usually with real shooters and people who know what a clip is. I wish all people in all areas had access to good gun clubs. Firing ranges in general are not safe in my opinion. Those little dividers wont protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    pointed the gun back at the people behind him as they yelled not to do that.
    I wonder what would happen at a normal range if you drew your pistol and pointed at their head in response, might at least get their attention.... My worse experiences with shooter incompetence were actually in the military.... Odd how people think military equates to skill and knowledge.

Wow. That would never fly at the ranges I attend.

I belong to a private range, but safety is still safety. I have several times, stopped what I was doing and in a firm, but respectful manner TOLD someone what needed to be done. You should have been more forceful in your approach.

VIP Member
    This thread is from 2010. The OP has not been on DC in months.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissyb View Post
    And the fact that you mentioned that they were "inner city youth" and was neccessary or relevant because...
    I especially liked the part where you said "they shoot like all their friends that you see on cops." Come now, really? It's pretty apparent that your main issue with these kids in which you were so compelled to talk about has more to do with how they looked rather than how they handled the pistol. If it was that dramatic then I'm pretty sure the workers would not have been so nonchalant about it. I think you're on the wrong blog.
    Same thoughts I had while reading the OP.

Then the fact that he mentioned that he was shocked by how well mannered they were and how they spoke, as if people from the inner city are void of manners and use of proper english. I've met many people from the inner city who can speak quite well and are more respectful than those who grew up in Beverly hills and places like that.

Smh.

VIP Member
    Read this one. : )

My bad day at the range.....
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    This thread is from 2010. The OP has not been on DC in months.
    Well wait till he comes back and sees what's waiting for him. Haha. Thank you for pointing that out. I'll have to bring my outrage elsewhere
    aus71383 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I love living where there are no "urban utes".
    Ain't that the truth. So glad my range is my back yard where there is nobody but me, my dog and whomever else I happen to invite.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links