Coulda died at the range today (Niagara Gun Range) - Page 4

Coulda died at the range today (Niagara Gun Range)

This is a discussion on Coulda died at the range today (Niagara Gun Range) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Makes me appreciate my range all the more. It's public, but they are well controlled. If you rent a gun, they go through all the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Coulda died at the range today (Niagara Gun Range)

Makes me appreciate my range all the more. It's public, but they are well controlled. If you rent a gun, they go through all the safety right there on the spot. Then the RSO keep an eye on you as well. When my wife was first shooting, we even had a couple of them come over and give her a few instructions to make sure that she was shooting right.

ANd no . . . they didn't saddle up behind her and reach round with both hands for the gun! It was professional!

I had a similar incident occur at the range I frequent here in San Antonio. My daughter and I were shooting the AR at 50 yards, and two young 20 something middle eastern kids walk up to the shooting bench with a rented AK-47. They started out trying to load the 7.62 rounds into the 5 round magazine backwards, so I load it for them. Then I have to insert the mag as they couldn't figure it out. I politely tried to give them a safety run down but they didn't speak english (or pretended not to). I had my daughter go get the RSO and asked him to secure the AK and called a cease fire so I could fetch our targets and leave. We weren't anywhere near being ready to leave, but it's not worth the risk to be around people like that. I think all shooters should have to demonstrate basic safety/competency at public ranges, or they should have to pay an instructor to babysit them...

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I don't go to public ranges,I know some have no choice.If there isn't a RSO there to supervise, just leave.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Reviving a 2.5 year old thread to cause trouble/complain about wording = first post. Wow. Welcome to the forum.

Austin
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissyb View Post
    And the fact that you mentioned that they were "inner city youth" and was neccessary or relevant because...
    I especially liked the part where you said "they shoot like all their friends that you see on cops." Come now, really? It's pretty apparent that your main issue with these kids in which you were so compelled to talk about has more to do with how they looked rather than how they handled the pistol. If it was that dramatic then I'm pretty sure the workers would not have been so nonchalant about it. I think you're on the wrong blog.
    So, you Googled "Niagra Gun Range", read his review and decided to become a member just to comment on his comment? Not that I'm defending anyone, but it was long dead and buried until you revived it...
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; January 17th, 2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Spelling of defending
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    My local range would have erupted with the sound of the (Gunny like) Range Master .The range master is great there. There are always at least 3 men (county employees) that watch intently. Glad to have one unlike that one you speak of. Sounds dangerous

I agree with the above. I can only shoot to 50 yds. But then again i never have to worry about getting shot. I can go to our hunting lease about 1 hour drive for shots out to 200 yards, for long range stuff.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Yes this has been long and buried deep in the digital intestines of DefensiveCarry SQL servers haha.

At any rate this is a good reminder that we should all be mindful of potential idiots abroad in the public practice halls.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissyb View Post
    And the fact that you mentioned that they were "inner city youth" and was neccessary or relevant because...
    I especially liked the part where you said "they shoot like all their friends that you see on cops." Come now, really? It's pretty apparent that your main issue with these kids in which you were so compelled to talk about has more to do with how they looked rather than how they handled the pistol. If it was that dramatic then I'm pretty sure the workers would not have been so nonchalant about it. I think you're on the wrong blog.
    Really? If it looks like a turd, smells like a turd and feels like a turd I don't need to taste it to know it is a turd. Absolutely amazing to me that when someone has gone to great lengths to present themselves in a particular manner, you take offense that they are identified by the image they sought to present themselves as.
    Personally I do think the description was apt and relevant to get an accurate picture of what occurred. Idiot kids dressed like thugs "bustin caps TV gangsta style"
    Interesting that your first and apparently only post is to tell a long standing member that they are on the wrong forum.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I don't go to ranges where they rent guns.......but that's just me.
    I shoot in my back yard out to hundred yards or so but when I recommend some one go to a range especially new shooters and those looking to purchase a gun I always suggest they look for ranges that rent guns. How else does one do side by side comparisons of different guns unless your friends own every model of every gun made?
    remington79 and atctimmy like this.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Idiots live all over, we generalize it make it hard for law abiding,licensed gun owners that happen live where they work. It happens all over WNY, I went to a gun center in Cheektowaga, was prepared to purchased but was snubbed. Most of the patrons were window shopping. I'm a honorably discharged vet with a MOS in small are repair. One of the main reason I went legal was to one day be able to educate URBANiTES or the enjoyment, safety, and importance of respecting firearms. I never brought my kids toy guns, as a US Marine I was taught guns are made for one purpose and if you're not properly trained you can be on the opposite end of that purpose. It's heart breaking that you can serve your country, lose serviceman in military conflicts only to get snubbed at home purchasing a firearm. The bulk of the patrons have no military service and no respect for firearms

VIP Member
    Holy cow. How often can a thread get resurrected by people with one post!

Quote Originally Posted by cplaj1 View Post
    Idiots live all over, we generalize it make it hard for law abiding,licensed gun owners that happen live where they work. It happens all over WNY, I went to a gun center in Cheektowaga, was prepared to purchased but was snubbed. Most of the patrons were window shopping. I'm a honorably discharged vet with a MOS in small are repair. One of the main reason I went legal was to one day be able to educate URBANiTES or the enjoyment, safety, and importance of respecting firearms. I never brought my kids toy guns, as a US Marine I was taught guns are made for one purpose and if you're not properly trained you can be on the opposite end of that purpose. It's heart breaking that you can serve your country, lose serviceman in military conflicts only to get snubbed at home purchasing a firearm. The bulk of the patrons have no military service and no respect for firearms
    Only thing I have to interject about your post (and thank you for your service to our country) is that while you may be an exemplary former member of our military forces, having 'military service' is absolutely no indicator as to the potential for safe firearm handling or respect for firearms. I don't like to pigeonhole folks but generally speaking I deal with plenty of trouble with current and former military folks, followed closely by law enforcement, as far as unsafe handling or general rule breaking goes.

I'm not saying all of those types are bad, I'm simply stating from my personal experience, I see plenty of safety violations from those groups so it's most certainly not an indicator of 'safe' or 'unsafe'...
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Following up with TX expat, you said "..as a US Marine I was taught guns are made for one purpose and if you're not properly trained you can be on the opposite end of that purpose." This is a line right out of the anti-gunners game plan. I do not care what the Marines told you. In fact, fact, guns can and are used for many other purposes besides killing people.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links