Century AK-74

This is a discussion on Century AK-74 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for an AK. I really like the Bulgy Century AK-74. It's a bit cheaper than a WASR and probably better quality. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Century AK-74

Century AK-74

I am looking for an AK. I really like the Bulgy Century AK-74. It's a bit cheaper than a WASR and probably better quality. I own an SKS, so I already have about 200 7.62x39 rounds. I've never shot a 5.45x39 rifle, all I know is ammo is really cheap! I am however worried about future ammo availability. Will 5.45x39 be available in 10 years, 20 years? I'm sure surplus will be long gone by that point. Should I just pay a little extra and get a WASR-10 or are these CAI AK-74s decent?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I would stay away from the CIA Bulgy 74's. I have one and it keyholes every so often. They are hit and miss. If you want a cheaper priced one get the WASR 2 instead. Other than that wait and find a Saiga 5.45.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    I would stay away from the CIA Bulgy 74's. I have one and it keyholes every so often. They are hit and miss. If you want a cheaper priced one get the WASR 2 instead. Other than that wait and find a Saiga 5.45.
    I agree totally.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

You probably already read Cat's threads.....if not, you might want to.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...4-Range-Report

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rel-Transplant

The 5.45 is very fun and runs me only .13 a round. I have a few cases stashed and plan on picking up a few more before the new Saigas come in and people start buying like mad.

I think I might pass on the rifle. I'll probably end up getting a WASR-10; haven't heard any bad things about those. I already have 7.62x39, so that's a plus. The WASR is on the low end of the AK platform, but it does have a chromed bore.

These are still on sale...conversion would cost a little over $100 depending on what you do to it.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/s...32-p-1272.html

If you're interested in the WARS 2 in 5.45 they have chrome lined barrels.

Century 5.45

AIM 5.45

The Saiga 7.62's are a steal at $300. And like Zero said a PG conversion will only cost about $100.

Future ammo availability should be a concern for purchasing a battle rifle. The 7.62x39 has been around for a long time and employed the world over. I figure that's here to stay until the end of the earth and the AK 47 will never be replaced. Sometimes it is nice to entertain thoughts of what's new, on the market, and affordable. Often times these thoughts are short term, or a panic buy. In history you can find these runs were rather short lived in one form or another. Not much has ever become totally obsolete mind you.
    Century Arms? No experience with them personally. Heed others experiences in this instance. Take care of a chrome lined barrel no matter what ammo you use.

Wasr 10's are a hit or miss it seems (no pun intended.)

You have those like mine that run perfectly and have put 1000+ rounds downrange with no problems (other than a hard primer on a wolf mil-spec round), and then you have those with canted front sights and gas tubes, the hole for the magazine dremeled out improperly, those with trigger slap (very, very rare these days since almost all have Tapco FCG's), etc, etc...

If you can personally inspect it, I'd say go for it.

However,If you're still thinking about future 5.45x39mm availability though, and that's the main reason why you don't want an AK-74, I don't think you've got too much to worry about. Given the popularity of the AK-74, and the fact that new imported ammo (not just mil-surp stuff) is arriving everyday, I would assume that it won't be much longer until American ammunition companies get in on producing it here in the states as well. I do remember an article in Shotgun News about an American company gearing up to produce 5.45 as well, but I don't remember which one.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I recently bought a Century Bulgarian AK-74. Mine shoots very well. Not a hint of keyholing, and decent groups. Like all AKs, the butt stock fits me poorly, and my eyes can not do well with the issue sights, but those problems will be fixed soon. It is strange that some of these can be so good and others not worth snot. It almost sounds like there were some defective barrels used. If mine was a lemon, I would send it back. However, mine is so darn good that I'm thinking about getting another.

One of the best things about the AK-74 is the availability of very inexpensive military surplus ammo. Until it is gone, we won't see much new ammo manufactured. Once that happens, I am sure it will still be readily available, but not as inexpensive.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

What effect will the canted front sight and gas tube have on the rifle? can they be fixed easily?

The canted front sight will cause you to have to push the windage drum far over to one side.

Fixed a canted front sight entails removing the pins straightening the front sight and then drilling the pin holes larger for larger pins.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    What effect will the canted front sight and gas tube have on the rifle? can they be fixed easily?
    Mostly.....a waste of ammo sighting it in. Anything can be fixed. If the manufacturer or vendor won't help, see our local gunsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    I recently bought a Century Bulgarian AK-74. Mine shoots very well. Not a hint of keyholing, and decent groups. Like all AKs, the butt stock fits me poorly, and my eyes can not do well with the issue sights, but those problems will be fixed soon. It is strange that some of these can be so good and others not worth snot. It almost sounds like there were some defective barrels used. If mine was a lemon, I would send it back. However, mine is so darn good that I'm thinking about getting another.

One of the best things about the AK-74 is the availability of very inexpensive military surplus ammo. Until it is gone, we won't see much new ammo manufactured. Once that happens, I am sure it will still be readily available, but not as inexpensive.
    Hornady! http://www.hornady.com/store/5.45X39...AX-Steel-Case/

I don't really shoot but once a month, sometimes once every two months. I try to only keep a few calibers on hand, it makes ammo buying easier. I think I will order a WASR-10 from AIM. I've had very good luck with them with past orders and I'm sure they will send me a good WASR. I look forward to refinishing the furniture.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    If I was you and looking to purchase an AK74 platform rifle I would pass on the Century AK74, too spotty with the keyholing problems. The Saiga's are outstanding but the Saiga's in 5.45x39 are hard to find now. So that basically leaves the WASR 2......which while rough like all WASR's will likely serve you well as a inexpensive 5.45x39 plinker and HD weapon. The avalibilty of the Russian milsurp ammo and Wolf in 5.45x39 will likely not be an issue in the future unless some unforseen issues arise between the Uncle Sam and Ivan. Its the ammo the former Warsaw Pact nations use now and Russian makers/brands/distibutors Wolf, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, Tula, Baurnal all make it and some US ammo manufacurers are tooling up to produce it. I am sitting on about 5-6K rounds now myself.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links