Long gun in your vehicle - Page 3

Long gun in your vehicle

This is a discussion on Long gun in your vehicle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's a fantastic idea to contemplate carrying a shotgun or a rifle/carbine in my vehicle, but what "defensive" purpose would it serve the garden-variety CCW ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a long gun in your vehicle?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 17.05%
  • No

63 48.84%
  • Sometimes

40 31.01%
  • Other-please explain

4 3.10%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It's a fantastic idea to contemplate carrying a shotgun or a rifle/carbine in my vehicle, but what "defensive" purpose would it serve the garden-variety CCW owner?

Short of open warfare in the streets where every able-bodied person is called upon to defend this beloved country I see little need for quick, defensive access to a longgun.

If I have time to bring a shotgun into use I could probably have just avoided the threat by driving away.

Of course, there are romantic ideas surrounding "saving the day" by rescuing someone in dire need where a long-range weapon will certainly be a better tool for the job, but taking that stance I should carry SCUBA, fire extinguisher, 300 feet of rope, and a defibrilator with me, too.

I ask in all seriousness - Where's the benefit? What am I missing?
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

VIP Member
    I don't believe a long arm is going to be all that necessary to the day to day CCW person. There have been a few instances where a long arm would have solved the immediate threat if the owner were inclined to use it.

Personally I answer sometimes. Not something I keep in the vehicle on a regular basis. However I drive long distance and go to or through major population areas. Seeing what a storm did the south central US I feel better having a long arm along for the trip.

I don't expect that keeping it unloaded in the back is an issue until the need arises. The type of need I see for a long arm will give me enough warning I will be able to load and make ready.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    PS,
    you might ask the CHL Carrier who was killed in Tyler Texas trying to protect a young man and his mother against a deranged father with an AK. He entered the contest with only a pistol.

I always carry a 590 with slugs and 00 in my pickup.

My first rule is "Never enter a gun fight with a pistol if you can get a long gun."

Jungle Work

Jungle Work,

Point taken.

I could go camping at a moments notice with the gear I drive around with every day. Including first aid, emergency blankets, and ways to start a campfire.

There are extreme circumstances that would dictate the need for my pistol. Those circumstances become even more remote and extreme when the nail requires a bigger hammer.

Perhaps I should reconsider my decision to carry a longgun but if I can only fit my ThermaRest sleeping pad OR my shotgun - I'll keep the pad. I'm getting too old to sleep on the ground without one. :)

PapaScout
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

The vid of the incident I was talking about. Kinda Hokey, but pictures don't lie.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/co...se-psycho.html

A citizen who had just come home in the down town area, entered the fray and is credited with saving the life of the son and mother.
    The local paper and the Dallas Morning News did a crediable job of reporting how a Carrier of a Conceal Handgun License interviened and saved lives. Too bad he didn't have a long gun.

Jungle Work

VIP Member
    Y'know, a long gun might have been helpful, but to be honest, there's no way in Hades I would have gotten it out even if I had the chance. By the time this goes on for 1 minute, armed officers are running all around looking for a guy with a long gun shooting people... The first guy they see out of uniform with a rifle is probably going to get shot.

This seems to me to be an incident in which you are close enough to engage with a handgun, otherwise get the heck out of the way of the LEO.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Copperknight
    The first guy they see out of uniform with a rifle is probably going to get shot.
    What you say may be true depending upon where you live.
    Back in the 90s, I was at a yearly International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors yearly seminars and they had a FATS system there. There were several situtations with longguns in civilian hand. I watched and was amazed that officers from the North West and North East shot civilians who were in possession of long gun and had not threatened any one. Just the simple possession of a long gun in a car stop or incidents where the police were call caused the person to be shot by LEOs. The officers from the South and the South West were not so trigger happy as they are used to see folks with long guns. So what Copperknight says may have a ring of truth depending on where you live and the mindset of LE there.

Jungle Work

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work
    Copperknight

What you say may be true depending upon where you live.
    Back in the 90s, I was at a yearly International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors yearly seminars and they had a FATS system there. There were several situtations with longguns in civilian hand. I watched and was amazed that officers from the North West and North East shot civilians who were in possession of long gun and had not threatened any one. Just the simple possession of a long gun in a car stop or incidents where the police were call caused the person to be shot by LEOs. The officers from the South and the South West were not so trigger happy as they are used to see folks with long guns. So what Copperknight says may have a ring of truth depending on where you live and the mindset of LE there.

Jungle Work

That's good to know since I live in the northwest. But my reference wasn't to LE in general, but specifically to LE responding to this incident. You can assume their dispatch information included a man with a rifle shooting people and "officer down". I don't want to be a good guy with a rifle anywhere near here.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Always

Because in a gunfight, if you have time, you need to get to a rifle if you can. They trump handuns in terms of stopping power, big-time.

Mine's a Mosin-Nagant M44. Cheap, so the abuse it takes back in the bed (I have a shell) of the truck doesn't harm any thousand dollar bluing or finish jobs, and so that if the truck disappears I'm not out a lot money. (As a side note, I have the safety on it engaged- unless a thief knows a bit about Russian firearms, he'll have a hard time actually figuring out how to use the doggoned thing).

Legal in Oklahoma for a CCW licensee to tote if only magazine-loaded (as opposed to chamber-loaded). Legal in Oklahoma, too, for everyone, if not loaded.

R.

*cough* not just the would-be thief!

Umm... I've got a 1948 M44 as well, and I've got a question...

There's a safety? Where? How? (I just got mine...)
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    PgSglQuery:

That's an excellent question. I had a couple of M44's a few months before I had it shown to me.

The rear end of the bolt itself is the safety. You grip it FIRMLY, and bracing the buttplate against your shoulder, pull back on it HARD. When you feel it pull back (maybe half an inch),twist it to the left (counterclockwise). Let go of it, and it will snap down on the left rear part of the receiver.

To turn the safety "off", pull back on it again, and twist it clockwise.

It takes some practice to get proficient with it, but once you do, it's easy.

The trigger will pull, but it will not engage the trigger spring with that safety on. And that safety is the safest safety I've ever encountered.

The spring in that bolt is S-T-R-O-N-G.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

Before I retired from LE I did, now it would be illeagal

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I have thought about buying one of those real cheap coach style double barrel shotguns to keep behind my seat in the truck. With the short barrel these are real handy. I would keep a shell carrier on the butt stock. Although not a great tactical choice these are affordable and wouldn't be a great loss if stolen. (Other than the fact some street thug has a dbl. barrel shotgun now.) Plus two buckshot rounds into somebody is going to do some damage.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

i usually have a sub2000 9mm in the trunk when traveling out of the county.

when traveling out of state, it's always there.

I don't usually have a long gun in my truck unless I am going to the range. Stick the AR back there or the .22. I don't think I would ever need it but a couple of 30 rd mags would do pretty well against...well, whatever!
    Maybe if I lived in a less populated area or worked on a farm I would have a rifle in the truck but otherwise I am content with my sidearm.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links