Defensive Carry banner

I am THIS close to buying a NEF Pardner Pump....but there are rail issues

12K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Janq 
#1 ·
I was in a local Gander Mountain today and saw they were having a sale on their NEF Pardner Pump 12GA/18.5" shotgun. I have been looking at these guns for a long time, but just haven't had the extra cash to throw around on one. Well their sale price is $199 (which is probably the normal price everywhere else), and I have made a good acquaintance with a gentleman that works there who gave me $20 Gander Bucks to use. So overall the gun would be $179. I was THIS close to pulling the trigger but wanted to do a little research.

The main issueI found is the possibility of putting a picatinny rail on the NEF so I could mount an optic. The gun comes drilled and tapped for rails, but I have read that no one can find a rail to fit it. This would probably be a make or break for me on whether or not to buy this gun. Can anyone help me with this issue?

#2 ·
Whew! I can't answer to the rail fit question except that the other H&R Shotguns have scope rails on them. Maybe one of those woudl fit?

Seeing as how you can get a brand new Remington Express 870 for under $250, my question is why?

There will be almost nothing made for the NEF shotgun. Nothing aftermarket that is unless it is a Remington copy. So, unless it is dressed out exactly the way you want it to be, you may want to reconsider.

#3 ·
You could buy a blank picatinny rail off a ebay. They sell for anywhere from 5 to 10 bucks.

Then you could figure out your hole location and drill the rail to fit. You would want to drill a clearance hole for the screw and then you would need to counter bore the top of the whole for the head.

I've done a gazillion of them over the years. If you know some one with a milling machine or a good drill press they could do it. Any competant gunsmith should be able to do it fairly easy. Might cost you another 25 or 30 bucks, but it'd be worth it.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply's, and unfortunately in my area the price on the 870 would be more around $300, plus rail etc. I paid $200 OTD for this NEF, and to be honest, I like the weight on this boulder. That should help with those 00 Buck and slugs she will be firing. Here's my set up.

#5 ·
I have 2 pardner pumps an their absolutely worth every dime. Both have UTG rail mounts with 30mm optic red dot sites. I'll post a pic asap...Strong, reliable and well made is what these beast are

#6 ·
Cant wait for your pics! I actually took this optic off and put on my Vortex Strikefire. The holosight actually sat a little to high. Ill post pics soon. I just got some pdx1 12ga rounds, cant wait to see how they feel.

#8 ·
Agreed very much with HG.

In todays market with as many suppliers of tac rails out there as there are, this problem should be easier to hurdle than jumping a low fence.
As well aren't the NEF 'Pardner' guns based on the 870 format.
I'd pickup a low cost and very much market plentiful870 pic rail and if the holes don't line up exactly then just turn the thing around and have a machinist drill it out for you as HG mentions.

For such a deal I would not allow this minor item to influence my buying decision.

- Janq

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.