Good price for shotgun

This is a discussion on Good price for shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think I'm finally ready to go out and start shopping for a home defense shotgun. I'm thinking either Remington 870, Mossberg 500, or Mossberg ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good price for shotgun

Good price for shotgun

I think I'm finally ready to go out and start shopping for a home defense shotgun. I'm thinking either Remington 870, Mossberg 500, or Mossberg 590. I suppose the Maverick 88 is also an option, but I know that one can be had fairly inexpensivley from wal-mart.

If you guys could help me out with fair prices for these guns so I know what is a good deal or not that would be great. The only thing I know I want on whatever I get is a Knoxx stock (seems they run ballpark $135), so if it's already on the gun I'm fine with paying more. I'll add items like a sling, shell holder, and possibly a light eventually. But the Knoxx stock is a must if I ever hope to get my wife to practice some with it. That and I'm sure I'll appreciate it as well.

Figure I'll check out gunbroker, local gun shops, and maybe some pawn shops. Suppose I'd prefer NIB, but good used will be fine (although I'm unfamiliar with shotguns so not sure I'd know difference between good/bad used).

Thanks in advance.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

2. Remove Ads

Well, first of all it is going to depend some on the options you want, but since it seems you want a defensive shotgun, I will go ahead and think you are looking for an 18.5-20" barrel, and the largest capacity possible.

My favorite gun store has the Hd version of the 870 with an 18.5 inch barrel and 7 shot capacity for $299, the Maverick 88 with 20" barrel and 8 shot for $219, and similarly set up 500 persuader for $299. Don't see a 590 in their flier.

Bud's has the 870 for $332, the Persuader for $304, and a 9 Shot 590 for $359.

Out of all that I'd say the 590 is probably the best deal, its a bit more ruggedly made than the other ones, although either the 870 of Persuader should give someone a lifetime of normal use without any real issues. Handle both a Mossberg and the Remington, and figure out which one you like the controls better on. That is one of the biggest differences between the two. Also, if you go with a Mossberg, keep in mind the Tang mounted safety will be harder to manipulate if you put on a Knoxx stock.

I really don't know much about the Maverick line, except they are marketed by Mossberg, and seem to be of the "value line" variety.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I suggest you handle a few shotguns.

I have a Remington 870 and a Winchester 1897 and like both. I was in a gun store yesterday and handled a Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88. I didn't like how both of them felt in the grip area of the firing hand - where I felt like the grip is larger and shaped differently than the guns I have.

Go to a gun store and handle a variety of guns and shoulder them and see how they feel to you.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

VIP Member
    as others have said....handle a bunch

I have the Mossy 500 Persuader 7+1 at home, I put thousands of rounds of various buck and slugs through it with no problems

I have a Remington 870 wingmaster with 18.5" parkerized barrel for duty use since we can only have Police or wingmaster models...as they are made better than the express line

I'd go for either one or the 590
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Used mavrick 88! best $125 I ever spent! can't beat it
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

When I get back in town, out of town with work right now, I'm going to go handle both an 870 and 500. I think the 590 is out for me because I'd like to be able to shoot skeet and whatnot with it, therefore needing chokes. I know I should buy two shotguns, one for each use, but I just don't have that in the budget as I still want a pocket gun as well. So I'll buy one of those guns, a separate barrel depending on what size comes with it. And then I'll probably end up getting a knoxx stock and maybe swapping it out for whenever I change the barrel and what to go shoot skeet. Seems either the 870 or 500 should come in around $300 for a basic setup.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    When I get back in town, out of town with work right now, I'm going to go handle both an 870 and 500. I think the 590 is out for me because I'd like to be able to shoot skeet and whatnot with it, therefore needing chokes. I know I should buy two shotguns, one for each use, but I just don't have that in the budget as I still want a pocket gun as well. So I'll buy one of those guns, a separate barrel depending on what size comes with it. And then I'll probably end up getting a knoxx stock and maybe swapping it out for whenever I change the barrel and what to go shoot skeet. Seems either the 870 or 500 should come in around $300 for a basic setup.
    If that is the case, the 870 is the way to go. I'd try to find an older even beat up wingmaster and buy an 18" barrel.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Oh yeah, forgot there's also a gun show in town next weekend. Maybe I can find a good deal. I suppose this leads to another question though...anything I should look for with a used shotgun? I'm fairly familiar with handguns, but shotguns not so much.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    If this is your plan, IMO it is easier to find barrels to swap out for the HD 870 than the 500 Persuader. The way that the barrel attaches to the 500 is kind of weird on that model. The 870 has a more traditional extended mag tube extension set-up. Although with either the 500 or 870 you could find a base model, with wood furniture and a 5 shot mag, and swapping out barrels on either of those is no issue.

Look for police trade in 870's too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If that is the case, the 870 is the way to go. I'd try to find an older even beat up wingmaster and buy an 18" barrel.
    yep....exactly what I did....got the wingmaster at the gun show for $300 (I think) and an 18" parkerized barrel from cheaper than dirt for $100
    its rides in my patrol car every day
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    The best place to find a used 870 or mossy 500 is an estate auction. You can get them really cheap and in great condition. look in you local news paper or look online for info on auctions. There are sooooo many 870s out there that it won't take too much work to find a cheap one.

A new 18.5" barrel will run you about $100.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Anybody have any points for looking at used ones?
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Keep your eye open for Westernfield 550's.
    They are Mossberg 500's made and branded for Montgomery Wards.
    I have 2 and they are great. You can usually get them cheaper than used brand names (Rem, Win, Moss, etc.).
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

If you're not adverse to the "made in china" stigma, check out the Pardner® Pump Protector from NEF (aka H&R 1871). Scroll down on the link, it's the last one on the page.

Remington 870 knock-off, uses the same after market gizmos except for barrels.

I have the 870 with knoxx stock and it is a beast, loaded to max it is pretty heavy.

My friend just bought a moss 590A1 with speed feed stock and it seems to be a lot lighter. If you HAVE to have the knoxx stock get the Rem, the controls are easier to use.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links