Which AR caliber?

Which AR caliber?

This is a discussion on Which AR caliber? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been thinking about getting an AR but I have no idea what caliber to get. What do a lot of you have? How is the ...

Thread: Which AR caliber?

Which AR caliber?

Been thinking about getting an AR but I have no idea what caliber to get. What do a lot of you have? How is the .45 ACP? I want something that will be lethal when the zombies come but not cost me an arm and a leg to practice with.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    I have no experience with any .45APC ARs; I believe Olympic makes them, however. I do have a great deal of experience with Colt's 9mm SMG AR (10" bbl), and it is an outstanding weapon. A more versatile (and easily available) choice, however, might be an AR in 5.45x39 or 7.62x39, or, indeed, a "normal" AR in 5.56. Yes, this ammo is more expensive, but not EXCEPTIONALLY so. Plus, w/ a .22 conversion kit, you have the cheapest training ammo available...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    5.56 and a .22 conversion kit. Best of both worlds - truly cheap practice / plinking, and full rifle caliber power for social purposes.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

5.56x45 correct?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    Correct.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

For commonality of parts and ease of ammo availability I would get a 5.56 with a .22 conversion, as noted above.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I have no experience with any .45APC ARs; I believe Olympic makes them, however. I do have a great deal of experience with Colt's 9mm SMG AR (10" bbl), and it is an outstanding weapon. A more versatile (and easily available) choice, however, might be an AR in 5.45x39 or 7.62x39, or, indeed, a "normal" AR in 5.56. Yes, this ammo is more expensive, but not EXCEPTIONALLY so. Plus, w/ a .22 conversion kit, you have the cheapest training ammo available...
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    5.56 and a .22 conversion kit. Best of both worlds - truly cheap practice / plinking, and full rifle caliber power for social purposes.

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    For commonality of parts and ease of ammo availability I would get a 5.56 with a .22 conversion, as noted above.

Biker
    I'm with these guys.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I wouldn't go with a specialty build, because at TEOTWAWKI you will be unable to find parts for it. Besides, .45ACP is ridiculously expensive right now. For the same money you can buy .223 (i.e. 5.56mm) and have a real rifle cartridge that is running about 3000 fps and 1000 fpe at the muzzle. Get a conversion kit and plink all day with .22 lr.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Sponsored Links