Rounded out my collection

This is a discussion on Rounded out my collection within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I feel like I have pretty much have my bases covered. Got my carry gun, my deep concealment / BUG, my "Go to war" sidearm ...

Thread: Rounded out my collection

I feel like I have pretty much have my bases covered. Got my carry gun, my deep concealment / BUG, my "Go to war" sidearm and a pump action shotgun. I've happy with all of my support gear (Holster, knife, light) as well. Only took me about 2 years to get there lol. I was only missing one thing...That is until yesterday!
    Attached Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Very nice Rollo. So tell us a little bit about it. Details man, details!
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post

Very nice Rollo. So tell us a little bit about it. Details man, details!
    Don't have to ask me twice!

Rock river arms lower - My LGS was having a sale on them and that was kinda which started this project.

Model 1 Sales Lightweight CAR upper - The buddy that built the rifle for me has built 10+ rifles from model 1 sales kits and he's had nothing but good things to say about them so that's what I went with. I didn't want to buy crap but I also didn't want to break the bank as I probably won't be putting 10's of thousands of rounds a year through this bad boy.

The light, Bi-pod and quad rail and grip are UTG. I'm impressed with the rail. It's well build and locks up tight. It also doesn't weigh a ton. The Bi-pod is...ok... Fairly well built and I'm sure it will be fine for MY purposes however I would probably go with something a bit more high quality for a "hard use" rifle. The grip is good. I like the internal storage space for spare batteries for the light and optic. I admit it's a tad long and I may end up getting something a bit shorter but it definitely works. The light is a good high value light. Low cost but effective. Again, If this was a hard use rifle I may go with something else but for my civilian user it's plenty good. I think i'm going to switch it over to push button from the pressure switch though as I find it's really easy to accidentally hit the light on with the switch on the grip.

The optic is a Primary Arms M4 style multi reticule red dot. I spent a lot of time over at AR15armory.com reading reviews on "Budget" optics and the primary arms got great reviews. At some point in the future I'll get a eo-tec but having just dropped the cash on the rifle I didn't want to blow another 400.00 on a optic. I really like it and am impressed with the quality. I'll be putting a review of it up soon. I think it's a GREAT option for those of us that want a quality optic but don't need something professional grade.

Edit - I have a set of map-pul flip up front and rear BUIS on the way but apparently midway sent them via freaking donkey cart as they still aren't here after a week.

Edit 2 - I'm also thinking about getting one of the basic magpul stocks.

Edit - Oh yeah, the stock grip sucks. That's probably going to be the first thing to get changed.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

very nice rifle Rollo! You have officially made me jealous!

Looks like it should serve you well. As for your 3 edits in the last post, don't get all hopped up on those Magpul parts. I did last time I was home, and added the MOE pistol grip and buttstock to my M-4, I think both are pretty good improvements, and easy to do. Now you also just need to add on your preferred style of sling, and get some PMAGs, and ...
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links