AKs in .223?

AKs in .223?

This is a discussion on AKs in .223? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What do you guys think about Aks chambered in .223? I'm specifically refering to the VEPR K line or Aks. I'm not sure as to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AKs in .223?

AKs in .223?

What do you guys think about Aks chambered in .223? I'm specifically refering to the VEPR K line or Aks. I'm not sure as to the mag availability or quality. Also is accuracy improved any, is reliability affected, and is recoil reduced?

Soon I will start to save for my first rifle. It will be a semi-auto for range fun and shtf. I originally wanted some form of M1A but am starting to waiver from my original plan. Its seems I change my mind every other day. I like ARs and Aks. Both would be cheaper to buy and feed than the M1A. And I could always get an M1A later on down the road when I'm out of school. So now I might be looking at the VEPR K in either .223 or 7.62x39.

I like AKs but have loved the VEPRs ever since I have seen one. And the added weight of the reciever will really absorb the recoil. So follow up shots in .223 will be very fast. I could add VEPRs folding stock, a surefire light, and either an Aimpoint or EoTech and have a very nice self-defense/shtf rifle. I could probably do all of that for the same price as a plain M1A.

Assistant Administrator
    Pretty much for sure recoil will be pretty modest with .223 but OTOH, even with my almost std SAR1 in 7.62x39 - recoil is nearly a non-issue.

I have nothing really against .223 - it can be made to do a lot of useful work but on balance I think I prefer a slower 122 grain HP than a 55 grain going faster. Certainly I doubt we'd be pushing range much beyond 200 and I reckon the 30 cal pill will be more effective and less affected by wind drift too.

Nice sight system would be good on either but gotta say - a relatively medium proced red dot will still do the job. Not talking MOA shooting here in either cal from this class of weapon.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I had an AK 84...a .223 with the folding stock. It was a great little gun. It was also earsplitting LOUD and wasnt as accurate as any of my AR's, perhaps due to the crude sights as compared to the AR.

To the trained eye, the 7.62 AK is readily distinguishable from the .223 AK because the .223 uses straighter magazines than the 7.62.

That .223 was a hoot to bump fire. You could emty a mag in a few seconds...most people thought it to be full auto, but in fact it was not.

It sure would heat up fast when fired like that. I remember laying it on a wood table to let it cool off and it literally branded an image of the barrel in the table.

It was compact and reliable. I sorta wish I still had it, but traded it for a Sig P239.

Not a bad trade. I've only fired one AK. It was 7.62x39 and had the wire folding stock with no recoil pad. It also had a pin on AR birdcage style flash hider, no muzzle brake. It was very uncomfortable to fire and left a bruise after 30 rounds. So that was my only frame of reference. Are all AKs that uncomfortable or was it a combo of the stock/flash hider?

Administrator

I LIKE the "AK" rifles in .223
    Firstly, you hafta get clear in your mind what exactly you want the rifle for...as it is not a "do everything" firearm.

I decided years ago that I liked the .223 cartridge for its size, weight, availability, & price.

Two 50 round magazines clipped together & another two real handy sure will prevent a ton of $h1t from ever hitting the fan.

200 readily available rounds banging off without a hitch as fast as you can pull the trigger & throw them out there...makes for an awesome and highly effective SHTF firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Gabe Suarez has some interestiung observations on AR vs. AK, and the differences in caliber, on Warriortalk. http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=14637

I never shot one in .223 but I really like mine in 7.62x59. I shot a mini-14 which is a .223, if its anything like that it would be a great gun.

Senior Moderator
    I kinda like the .223 (5.56) round. It's like QK said, "...what exactly you want the rifle for...as it is not a "do everything" firearm....".

If the AK is as reliable in the .223 as it is with the 7.62x39 then it should be a good. I've notice that most opine that the AR platform is more accurate and the AK has fewer maintenance/cleaning requirements.

I like both rounds. They are both proven military rounds. And under 100 yards your average AK have fine combat accuracy. But the recoil on the one AK I've fired in 7.62 was not fun. We'll see. I guess I'd be happy with either. So its jusy a matter of finding a VEPR K and having the $$$ to buy it once it do.

JT
    I have a VEPR in 7.62x39. Best AK I have owned by far, as far as workmanship and accuracy. The only minus is it a little on the heavy side for an AK, but it doesn’t bother me. As for the 223, you can get mags from ROBARM for $25, or you just buy their followers ($6), and modify AK-74 mags yourself.

Right now, the only thing Robarm has in stock is the .308. Their website says they will be getting the 7.62 and .223 by the end of June, but they’ve been saying “coming soon” for months. I’m glad I got mine when I did.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am not a real big AK fan , I don't care for the safety system on a defensive rifle for one . Most I have seen have enough trigger slap to stun a frog for another point LOL . I know the trigger slap can be tuned out and the safety isn't all that unhandy if you screw with them enough to become used to it . None the less for my hard earned $$ I will go with other systems for my play rifles . I could see an AK as a truck gun , or cache gun for anyone who finds the need of a reasonable priced room broom thou .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I love the simplicity of the AKs. And I think there is a VEPR in .223 used at my local gun store. When I have enough $$$ I'll put a down payment on it.

JT
    I have never had a problem with trigger slap on an AK.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Do the .223 Aks take the same mags as the other 5.45 AKs? Can you just change the followers? Because I haven't seen a lot of .223 AK mags. But I see alot more of the other Russian 5.45 round mags.
    Last edited by '75scout; June 26th, 2006 at 10:34 PM.

JT
    The mags for .223 AKs can be kind of tricky. Some work in some AKs, but not in others. The East German "Weiger" .223 magazines are suppose to be the best.

If you get a VEPR .223, the mags are not a big concern. Robarm converts AK-74 magazines for use in them. You can get mags from ROBARM for $25, or you just buy their followers ($6), and modify AK-74 mags yourself. It just takes a little bit of cutting. If you know you are going to get a VEPR, order a bunch of the followers so you have them, and you can pick up the extra AK-74 magazines later. As long as you have one of the Robarm converted magazines to look at, the conversion is suppose to be easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links