Dragunov's - Pros and Cons?

This is a discussion on Dragunov's - Pros and Cons? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking of getting one... probably a PSL I know very little about them except that they look pretty sharp. I hear they are dead ...

Thread: Dragunov's - Pros and Cons?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

I'm thinking of getting one... probably a PSL

I know very little about them except that they look pretty sharp. I hear they are dead accurate, and being a commie gun, they are reliable just like the AK and SKS. Does anyone own one? What do you recommend for a Dragunov noob before I dive head first into this?

I would like to hear some constructive criticism about them so I know what to expect. Thanks!

I wouldn't consider them "dead accurate" as far as compared to other sniper rifles. Being based off of the AK action, they are actually more inherently inaccurate. While you can find some accurate 7.62x54R ammo, most of it is bulk, non-match grade. Also, the SVD/Draganov scope mounting rail provides for a less than ideal scope platform. There is also alot of wood and metal contact with the barrel - not free floated. All in all, compared to other military sniper rifles they are not up to par. HOWEVER, are they reliable? Absolutely. Are they accurate out to reasonable distances that you'll likely shoot at ranges (300 yards or less)? Sure. Just not as accurate as a match grade 308 bolt action. Do they have a certain "cool" appeal to them? I think so. Cheap to shoot - definitely. Set up for left hand shooter? No (stocks are usually right hand comb overs).

They are not "sniper" rifles in the sense of US military doctrine. They are more like "designated marksman" rifles. Emphasis is on "good enough" accuracy, with semi-auto action in case you miss or need to engage another target quickly. As long as you know what to expect, they can be very effective.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

What could I expect to pay for an average PSL with a scope?

GM
    The Romanian PSL is not a true Dragunov, it is a Dragunov style rifle and it is based on the AK receiver; that is the reason because it is a lot cheaper. You can get a new PSL with scope for around $650. They are not bad rifles, but they cannot be compared to the Dragunov. The true Dragunov is the SVD from Russia. The SVD is not based on the AK’s receiver, they just have very few things in common and look similar.

EDIT: Atlantic Firearms sells the Romanian PSL Dragunov with scoop for $629.
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct545.aspx
    Last edited by GM; August 22nd, 2010 at 12:27 AM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

PSL's aren't too bad of rifles, but as stated, aren't true Drugnov's either. Drugnov SVD's really were utilized more as squad DM rifles than "true" sniper rifles, but they fill that role rather well. But it will turn some heads at the range and provide some fun for you. I have a lot of respect for the SVD, and a skilled shooter can definitely get the job done at far more than 300 yards (try 7-800), with the rifle with the PSO-1 scope set up (interesting note, the scope is not a night vision scope, but has the capability to detect IR light sources). The scope is pretty cool and decent, although you may need a manual to figure out how to properly utilize it.

You should be able to find a Romanian in the $600-700 range if you look around, a true Russian SVD will be quite a bit pricier.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I see that everyone thus far has given excellent advice. Absolutely nothing i could add to that, and I surely won't detract from any of it. Basically, what I know of it is through other sources. 'Accuracy' is in the hands of the shooter. What you want out of it may be something other than what you need to deliver. I'm just saying.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    PSL's aren't too bad of rifles, but as stated, aren't true Drugnov's either. Drugnov SVD's really were utilized more as squad DM rifles than "true" sniper rifles, but they fill that role rather well. But it will turn some heads at the range and provide some fun for you. I have a lot of respect for the SVD, and a skilled shooter can definitely get the job done at far more than 300 yards (try 7-800), with the rifle with the PSO-1 scope set up (interesting note, the scope is not a night vision scope, but has the capability to detect IR light sources). The scope is pretty cool and decent, although you may need a manual to figure out how to properly utilize it.

You should be able to find a Romanian in the $600-700 range if you look around, a true Russian SVD will be quite a bit pricier.
    That is true; last time I saw SVD's for sale the military SVD cost over $6000, and the SVD Tigr (sporting rifle) almost $3000. I do not know about the Tigr, but I have read more than once that when using the right ammo the military SVD can be extremely deadly at over 900 yards.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I saw the SVD's and a poor working man like myself can only afford a PSL at this time. If the PSL is as accurate as a Mosin, I'll have no problems hitting out to 400 yards. My range has a 400 yard range, and I was hit the paper every round with iron sights on my Mosin. I can't imagine what a PSL would do with a scope.

Check into the ammo availability. I know that 7.62x54r is quite common, but I recall reading somewhere where you shouldn't use a certain bullet weight with the PSL. I can't remember what that weight is off the top of my head though, unfortunately.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member
    Yep have to agree with what has been said already. Many rifles are labeled Dragunov's but few are. The Romak is a good rifle and will do pretty much anything you want them to do.
    Optics are complicated and come with three different different ranging scales, 1.5 meter, 1.7 meter, and 1.8 meter that were used for ranging targets depending on what area of the world they were fighting in. I have had the opprotunity to shoot several Romaks, Dragunov's and Tabuk's here and even had a couple of Dragunovs supplied at a camp up north to be used for certain situations. They shot well and once the optic was figured out hits to 500+ were possible if you did your part.

This is the one I was issued manf in 1984. The prices stated for Romaks are about right it is best to buy them at complete kits, optics, cleaning rods and so on.
    I bid on a true Dragunov last year that was a 1979 manf. and quit at just over $9000. I love the real thing when I can get it but did not want it that much.
    Get the rifle and practice with it and you will learn to love it and it wont let you down.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Links