Rifle marksmanship -- best guides (reading) you would recommend?

Rifle marksmanship -- best guides (reading) you would recommend?

This is a discussion on Rifle marksmanship -- best guides (reading) you would recommend? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which written guides to the fundamentals and techniques of rifle marksmanship would you recommend? Having been introduced to basic marksmanship skills when I was ten ...

Question Rifle marksmanship -- best guides (reading) you would recommend?

Which written guides to the fundamentals and techniques of rifle marksmanship would you recommend?

Having been introduced to basic marksmanship skills when I was ten years old, I have not shot much rifle since then, up to the past several years. I would like to read two or three of the best, most-effective guides to teaching rifle marksmanship that you know of.

Let 'er fly. Links appreciated.

By the way, my rifle is a Remington 700 SPS in .243 with a Jewell HVR trigger and a decent glass-bedded stock. The rifle has shown itself to be highly accurate and capable of same-hole groups at 100yds, and sub-1" groups at 200 and 300yds.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

An Appleseed (www.appleseedinfo.org) shoot would probably be a good addition to your reading. Marksmanship and history for only $70 a weekend.

Don't know how more experienced shooters would feel about this, but here is a copy of a fairly recent USMC Marksmanship Handbook, similar to the one recruits use in boot camp: http://www.m-16parts.com/index1.html Probably has some stuff you don't want, but it's got a lot of the basics too, including stuff like shooting positions, wind calls, the fundamentals, ect... Marines are known around the world for training everyone to be proficient with a rifle.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    I'd start by Googling "basic rifle marksmanship manual", you'll find a lot of free stuff, both Army and Marine. Then proceed from there. I know the Army Marksmanship Unit used to have both it's advanced rifle and pistol manuals on line.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Civilian Marksmanship Program has some good stuff, as does the US Army Marksmanship Unit. Link follows: www.odcmp.com/about_us.htm
    Courage: "Do not follow where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Retired Army, Infantry
    NRA Life Member

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Don't know how more experienced shooters would feel about this, but here is a copy of a fairly recent USMC Marksmanship Handbook, similar to the one recruits use in boot camp: http://www.m-16parts.com/index1.html Probably has some stuff you don't want, but it's got a lot of the basics too, including stuff like shooting positions, wind calls, the fundamentals, ect... Marines are known around the world for training everyone to be proficient with a rifle.

Beat me to it Buckeye.

do your self a favor as well... when at the range, dont practice from a bench, it wont help and teaches bad habits...

shoot prone and other positions..

Two books that greatly helped me early on and continue to give me excellent review of fundamentals, along with shooting tips I forget from time to time, are very dated now. They are still timely though and few authors have visited the subject of riflery so intelligently in recent years. One is "The Accurate Rifle" by Warren Page. The other is "Position Rifle Shooting" by Bill Pullum and Frank T. Hanenkrat. While many products and equipment have changed over the years since these two were originally published, the principles and techniques are as fresh as ever.

Do avail yourself of the bench rest for rifle practice. It will teach you much about the rifle and the load, along with: trigger control, breath control, and proper hold ( and what the lack there of will do to the group). Don't be content to shoot the attractive 3-shot cloverleaf group but go for a 5-shot group. The extra effort it takes to do everything correctly 5 times in a row will pay off in better shooting skills, learned sooner. Good bench rest skills and technique will translate well to position shooting, two disciplines of rifle use that can complement each other.

You describe your Remington 700 and its attributes. Warren Page's book will fascinate you and be a great aid for just the kind of shooting that your Remington was created to accomplish.

Links:

http://www.amazon.com/Accurate-Rifle.../dp/1886681066
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Position-R.../dp/0965578003
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Exactly what I'm looking for, gang. Keep 'em coming. Whatever has helped you most, which you'd recommend to a beginning rifle shooter.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The Art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper. These days Cooper gets remembered mostly for his pistol oriented stuff, but he was a rifleman at heart. This is one of the best books out there on rifle marksmanship under field conditions.
    Chris Upchurch - Suarez International Staff Instructor
    Upcoming SI Classes in South Carolina:
    Close Range Gunfighting - March 17-18
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting - April 14-15

Links