HELP! M1 Garand Info Needed!

This is a discussion on HELP! M1 Garand Info Needed! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know only the basics about the M1 Garand...and need your help... I saw one today at my range, and I really would like it...but ...

Thread: HELP! M1 Garand Info Needed!

HELP! M1 Garand Info Needed!

I know only the basics about the M1 Garand...and need your help...

I saw one today at my range, and I really would like it...but I really don't know what to look for or what to ask...

The stock is not in perfect condition, but it is not pitted or full of dents or dings...

It is scope-ready...and the price is in line with a lot of Garands I have found on line...

What else do I need to know and are there any question is really need to ask (other than does it work)...

Thanks in advance for your assistance for a noobie to rifles...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    you want to check the serial number, i think any gun with a 1000 serial number is world war two and earlier but i think i might be wrong, someone on here probabley knows, try for a new M1 match from springfield
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Here's a link:
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/tea/m1serial.htm

What does "scope-ready" mean in connection with the M1?

I love the M1, have one and have owned several others over the years. Have books on the subject. Holler if you want to know specifics.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Lots of good info here.

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

What does "scope-ready" mean in connection with the M1?

I love the M1, have one and have owned several others over the years. Have books on the subject. Holler if you want to know specifics.
    This particular weapon is highly modified...there is an after-market rail system installed where the rear handguard is normally and there is an M-16 type flash supresser installed...
    VCDL Member
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    "This particular weapon is highly modified...there is an after-market rail system installed where the rear handguard is normally and there is an M-16 type flash supresser installed... "

On an M1 Garand? Would love to see a pic of this thing, are you sure you are not talking about an M1A with a rail system? Just wondering.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    "This particular weapon is highly modified...there is an after-market rail system installed where the rear handguard is normally and there is an M-16 type flash supresser installed... "

On an M1 Garand? Would love to see a pic of this thing, are you sure you are not talking about an M1A with a rail system? Just wondering.
    Definite Garand...uses 30.06 in 8-round stripper clips...same size and weight...but with the mods...
    VCDL Member
    Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Don't waste your money on a "bubbed" up Garand. Get one from CMP.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Don't waste your money on a "bubbed" up Garand. Get one from CMP.
    Thanks for confirming what I've been thinking for the past 24 hours...

I looked at CMP...also found a company called Orion 7....

Has anyone done business with them? http://www.m1garandrifle.com/

Their match-grade rifle is what I'm looking for, and the price is lower than the "bubbled" up Garand I was looking at...
    VCDL Member
    Theodore Roosevelt

I had a CMP M1 modified by Shufflin Parkerizing. You might check him out. He modified mine to be what he calls a "Mini-G" which is similar to the so-called Tanker version. He also does rebuilds and Parkerizes and think he also does stuff like install NM sites and glass bedding etc. He offers great customer service. The Mini-G, even though it isn't what you are looking for is a hoot to shoot. The Garand is a great rifle, and the 30-06 is a man's round. When you shoot it you know why Patton said what he did about it.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Go to the CMP site. Study up on the different grades they have. Rack to collector grade. Then choose what you want. Bubba has never laid a hand on these guns and you can do what you want to the gun to make it what you want. A service grade (mid grade) will meet MOST people's expectations on accuracy. $617 to your door thru Fedex.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Senior Moderator
    Also check out gun broker and read the descriptions and compare those against CMP's grading system, every n ow and then you can come across a bargin
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Links