My M1A and Sig 556 Projects

This is a discussion on My M1A and Sig 556 Projects within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was one of my projects while on leave. My M1A was made in late 01 or early 02. It is what was known as ...

Thread: My M1A and Sig 556 Projects

VIP Member

My M1A and Sig 556 Projects

This was one of my projects while on leave. My M1A was made in late 01 or early 02. It is what was known as a collectors edition. It has several GI parts and a TRW 1963 barrel.
    I removed the very nice oversize wood stock and bought a fiberglass one from Fred's when I got it several years ago. I fought with a SA scope mounts for years and finally bought the Sadlak Titanium in May before I went home.
    The optics are SWFA Super Sniper mil dot fixed 10x with steel 30 mm rings. Internally have put in Sadlak op rod guide and Titanium coated gas piston.
    The trigger was already fantastic and the rifle would shoot very well with iron sights. With the new mount and optics it will shoot 1-1 1/2 inches all day long with 147 grain and will do an inch with match ammo if I do my part at a hundred.

One of my other projects was my Sig 556 that I purchased in December. The rifle itself is the Classic model with the collapsing folding stock. Sights are the HK Diopter style that can be set out to 300 meters.
    The current optic is a Burris XTR 1-4x. It has a built in BDC and lighted reticle for CQB.
    This model has the 1/7 twist barrel so it likes the heavier bullets fed from the P Mags or the original Sig mags that can be clipped together for faster reloads.

I did not get to do a lot of shooting with it while I was home but using cheap Rem or Fed 55 gr bullets it would cut one ragged hole at 25 and 50.
    I bought this rifle never having held or fired one but I was impressed with the stats and the gas system and have not been disapointed so far.
    I also bought the 522, the rimfire version of the 556, to train with and I must say it eats anything it is fed without a problem. The current optic on it is the Leupold CQ/T variable power red dot optic.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Very, very nice set up(s). I basically stick with the AR platform because I am very familiar with it, but it's hard to argue with those choices. One question - why the "high end" optic on the .22 and the mid-grade on the 5.56? :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    LOL I asked myself the same thing. I love the Burris optic and found two of them NIB on another site for $400 each so bought them both and sold one. The Leupold I found online and was able to get it for half price because it was painted, like I care.
    While home I switched the optics back and forth and enjoy them both but the kids love the 522 and the Burris was a bit complicated for them but the CQ/T was simple direct and to the point.
    I to have owned and shot M4's and AR platforms for years. I sold my last one to a friend who got a slot on his departments tactical team an did without for a couple of years, I wasnt home anyways, when I started looking for a replacement.
    Because of my work over here I can buy from LEO distributors and the SIG was offered at a reduced price if I would try it out. Shortly after that SIG offered the $300 cash rebate so I got it also.
    My next rifle will probably be a Para TTR. Not really interested in the SCAR or ACR right now will wait and see what if any problems surface with them and the price comes down.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Just dropped by to say I hate you.

I've been looking at rifles and decided I wanted a sig 556. Then I decided I wanted an M1. Then i realized my girl would kill me if I spent another 1500 on guns.

Basically you're waving my 2 favorite rifles in front of my face. I you happened to add a sig 226 in there, I'm pretty sure I would have no choice but to be you nemesis.

Also, I'll trade you my girlfriend for both guns no questions asked. She doesn't cook but she looks real nice and cleans pretty well.
    Mossberg 590a1 12g 20" 8+1 Spedfeeder, modified Limbsaver butt.<>Glock G30 45 auto<>Beretta 92FS 9mm Inox
    <>Smith & Wession 360 357mag<>Marlin 60ss, Bushnell 3-9 scope<>Kel-Tec Sub2k 9mm Glock mags, quick release red dot sight<>
    All I need Is a Sig 226 .40. And .556 tactical carbine of some sort.

VIP Member
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... I can cook so please send pics of girlfriend. Just kidding
    Dont have a 226 or any .40 cals, I do have a 225/P6 that I love dearly. Sig prices are coming down and if you ever get serious let me know may be able to get you a good price on a 556 or 226.
    The M1A has been a pet project for years it will always be kept in a semi traditional state. I put on the Kirsten cheek piece while home also. My shooting partner has an M1A also so he is taking charge of getting our stocks glass bedded and so on and mine will be complete I think.

Ex Member
    Nice MIA. I carried a M14 for 2 years in Vietnam. Still have a soft spot for them, in spite of their weight.

VIP Member
    Just to add an extremely irrelevant point: the P226 comes in 9mm, .40S&W, and .357 Sig.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Links