Olympic AR-15 9mm that takes Glock mags.

This is a discussion on Olympic AR-15 9mm that takes Glock mags. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own several 9mm Glocks and was considering getting the Olympic AR-15 that takes the Glock mags in 9mm. Thought it would be nice to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Olympic AR-15 9mm that takes Glock mags.

I own several 9mm Glocks and was considering getting the Olympic AR-15 that takes the Glock mags in 9mm. Thought it would be nice to have a rifle that shot the same caliber and actually used the same mags as my pistol. Anyone own have any experience with this gun?

Thanks!

If I ever see one of these for sale I will pick one up. I like the idea of having a long gun that fires the same rounds as my carry pistol. My intent would be to make this my SHTF rifle and add it to my BOB.

Maybe I should buy some more 33rd Glock magazines?

I have my hopes on buying this after the first of the year. This carbine uses Glock mags

Olympic Arms - K40-GL Flat Top Pistol Carbine, .40SW http://www.snipercountrypx.com/showp...productid=1782.

Then I would need to get some of the 30 rd .40 S&W mags for it.

No experience with the Oly, but I just had a Lone Wolf AR/Glock in the shop. The gun itself was fine, the owner screwed it up trying to add some Taiwan Tactical stock to it. They're great. The only downside is they aren't compatible with other uppers. I have a ton of Sten magazines and was going to use one of my stripped lowers to make a 9mm eith Olympics Sten conversion, now after shooting the Lone Wolf I think I'll keep the Sten mags for another project (MAC M11) and go with a Glock mag AR.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    I own several 9mm Glocks and was considering getting the Olympic AR-15 that takes the Glock mags in 9mm. Thought it would be nice to have a rifle that shot the same caliber and actually used the same mags as my pistol. Anyone own have any experience with this gun?

Thanks!
    Not a Glock magazine, but Ruger has a nice 9mm carbine option too.

Ruger PC9GR PC-9 Carbine 9mm Blue Synthetic
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Olympic Arms is generally considered to be at the lower end of AR platform rifle makers. Would it sever as a decent HD rifle....likely but not as well made as rifles from the better combat worthy makers like LMT, BCM, Colt, Noveski and Danial Defence. But basically on Par with Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River and some others who make a decent rifle. They may have the only Glock compatable AR though so you may have to go that route for an AR with Glock mags compatability.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Lone Wolf makes a Glock compatable lower. Oly is the only company that offers a Sten magazine lower where others use modified Uzi magazines. The Uzi is a double column feed, the Sten is a single feed magazine ( and is available at dirt cheap prices ).

I own a lot of each kind of magazine (and in true gun-nut style I don't actually own anythng the Sten mags fit...yet ). I believe when I build a pistol caliber AR, it will be a Glock compatible lower. Oly is OK, but we do a lot of business with Lone Wolf where I work so I'll probably get a better deal from them.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Another option is the KelTec Sub2000

It's a big handgun. Pass.

If you are picking up a rifle...fire a rifle bullet.

I'd rather have a Nagant.
    Rollo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantspastor View Post
    Another option is the KelTec Sub2000
    +1 I love my Subbie. Looking at the cost of the Olympic, you could buy two new SUB-2000s and still have money left for a few 33 round mags and ammo.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Handgun / carbine alternatives

I too have been searching for a 9mm or 40 cal carbine (Glock mag compatible) as I own multiple Glocks. I stumbled on Mech Tech (MechTech - Home) - just as I found this site by chance. Mech Tech manufactures carbine conversions for most Glocks and 1911's. At first I was skeptical, but the site is very informative and the product appears well designed and nicely machined. This could prove to be a great alternative as opposed to the Olympic, Kel-tec Sub 2000, Ruger PC, or other; especially for Glock owners with mutiple models of the same cal. (19, 17 -22, 23).

Did the ATF ever rule on converting the Mech Tech from carbine back into a pistol?

Also new since this ancient thread was started is the "JRC" Just Right Carbine from EMF. It's a totally ambi design with a Glock magwell. I saw one at the gunshop but didn't get to shoot it. One is on my "eventually" list.

I have one of the Rugers and its nice, but a bit clunky with a pretty heavy bolt. Mine is marked "Police Carbine" instead of PC, and it served as a companion to my P85 and 89 for years.

NRA Certifed Instructor

Administrator
    Sorry!
    When I want a rifle...I want a doggone rifle. When I need a semi-automatic rifle what I don't need is a semi-automatic pistol with an extra long barrel.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Well I'd like to have a semi-auto pistol carbine myself. The old Tommy guns were pretty good, so I think a pistol carbine would be nice. I'd like the 9mm variety Thereon defense , Keltec, Oly or a lone wolfe.

Having both the carbine and the rifle in the same caliber would be nice hence the choosing the 9mm. A 45 would be a better choice but the cost difference in ammo is the deciding factor for me.

And yes I'd like a AR in 5.56 also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links