Shotguns and lights Opinions needed!

This is a discussion on Shotguns and lights Opinions needed! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok everyone I need some opinions. first off, I have a remington 870 6+1 with an 18.5 bbl. love the gun but its needs a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shotguns and lights Opinions needed!

Shotguns and lights Opinions needed!

Ok everyone I need some opinions. first off, I have a remington 870 6+1 with an 18.5 bbl. love the gun but its needs a couple things before I would like to make it a home defense weapon. It is stock as is right now, but I would like to try that hogue tamer pistol grip on it along with the fore-end. Like everyone else I would love to put a surefire fore end with a light but they are 250+ bucks and thats more than I paid for the shotgun. I have a safariland quick detachable weapon light that I have fallen in love with. Ive actually taken the mount off and began using as my duty flashlight bc it runs off of AAA batteries and is just good quality. I wonder if this light would function well as a light for the 870 if I needed it to be? its designed as a pistol light and it does not metenion if it could handle the recoil of a shotgun. any opinions?

2. Remove Ads

I don't know if the Safariland light would stand up to the recoil of a shotgun, but I do know that Lyman makes a good light with a pressure pad switch for about $80 or so.

I don't use the light to blind you, just to confirm my target in the dark. The blinding part will come from the muzzle flash.

Biker

yeah, sure fire would be nice but they are way too costly. In I perfect world I would outfit the 870 with that new blackhawk talon stock with the surefire light and some good sights.......but after all we are in a recession!

I posted a thread with pics of my Mossberg 500 HD with folding stock and light with strobe a pressure pad. I got it from Amazon.com for $49 and it's sweet!!! SigP250 sent me a link in one of my threads. Search this section for my threads (2 of them) about my mossberg 500 customization and you'll find the link. The light comes with 2 end caps, so I can unscrew it from my shotgun and carry it with a regular flashlight end cap tool.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If you have the Safariland mount that I'm thinking of...get a Surefire G2L and use it in the mount. I'm pretty sure I have the same mount, and the G2L I have in mine works great.

As for the pistol grip...I just have to ask "Why"? If it's because you want to tacticool your shotgun, or you like how they look...go for it. But if you want to make your shotgun more useful as a HD weapon...keep the stock. In my experience, all a PG does is make the shotgun harder to aim, harder to control, and slower to work the action...all things which I think are important in a HD weapon.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

haha the age old story of the pistol grip. yes the stock is alot easier to aim and to control. but I also dont live in a large home. the longest distance is proably 12yrds wall to wall. it would probably be 3-5 yrds between each door max. alot of corners in my house, and the pistol does make it easier to go room to room. recoil is not an issue with modern 2 3/4 loads atleast not for me. also the light comes into play. in a close wall area a flash light at the end of the barrel is a decent way to direct fire.
    1. you see what your shooting
    2.you blind your aggressor
    3. if you have the center of your beam on target your shot placement will be only slightly above that. think of it as a large laser sight. which is a good reason not to use too bright of a light. your pupels will have trouble ajusting, more so if you have white wall bc of light reflection. all you need is a light to see with and to keep the muzzle flash from blinding you.
    its also easier to conceal. Just watch out for recoil bc it will it you in the face if you try to sight it too closely in lol.

Quote Originally Posted by anj4657 View Post
    haha the age old story of the pistol grip. yes the stock is alot easier to aim and to control. but I also dont live in a large home. the longest distance is proably 12yrds wall to wall. it would probably be 3-5 yrds between each door max. alot of corners in my house, and the pistol does make it easier to go room to room. recoil is not an issue with modern 2 3/4 loads atleast not for me. also the light comes into play. in a close wall area a flash light at the end of the barrel is a decent way to direct fire.
    1. you see what your shooting
    2.you blind your aggressor
    3. if you have the center of your beam on target your shot placement will be only slightly above that. think of it as a large laser sight. which is a good reason not to use too bright of a light. your pupels will have trouble ajusting, more so if you have white wall bc of light reflection. all you need is a light to see with and to keep the muzzle flash from blinding you.
    its also easier to conceal. Just watch out for recoil bc it will it you in the face if you try to sight it too closely in lol.
    Right.

Tuck the shotgun butt under your armpit.

Voila! It's the same length as a PG'd shotgun, yet still has a buttstock! Manuevers just as well, too...

As for using the light as an aiming device...yeah...that's not quite how it works, but you can keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy.

My point on PG'd shotguns: if they actually had any real utility in close quarters fighting...you'd see real tac teams use them as something besides a dedicated breacher. Instead, every tac team shotgunner (besides the breacher) that I've seen uses a stock on their shotgun.

I'm just sayin'...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Butler Creek folding stock....best of both worlds.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I've got a knoxx stock that allows you to hold the shotgun pointing to the ground. A standard stock will not let you do that. You may not be able to shine the light right at the target, but you can get the gun down so it does not clear the corner before you do. Just a suggestion. But it's yours, do what you want. I have a Fenix O light on mine and it's held up fine so far. I would imagine any decent name brand light would hold up for most HD uses. As long as your not taking a serious shotgun class, or really tearing it up at the range.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Right.

Tuck the shotgun butt under your armpit.

Voila! It's the same length as a PG'd shotgun, yet still has a buttstock! Manuevers just as well, too...

As for using the light as an aiming device...yeah...that's not quite how it works, but you can keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy.

My point on PG'd shotguns: if they actually had any real utility in close quarters fighting...you'd see real tac teams use them as something besides a dedicated breacher. Instead, every tac team shotgunner (besides the breacher) that I've seen uses a stock on their shotgun.

I'm just sayin'...

Tuck under your arm? tried it a few times, never worked well for me. maybe with a M4 style stock, but with standard stock my hand always rides toward the reciever. I would like to have a knoxx stock or maybe one of those new blackahwk talons.".............As for using the light as an aiming device...yeah...that's not quite how it works, but you can keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy......." well, geuss what? it does make me happy :) If I couldn't hit something 5 yrds away I would give the gun to my wife and hide in the closet. Im not saying that a PG is better b/c we all know its not. Im not shooting pro with it. Im also not shooting out the 2nd floor window through my neighbers back yard and into the 711 getting robbed. and I probably will at some point when I have the extra money get a good stock. I used to keep a mossberg mavrick ( I know its not the best) with a knoxx comp-stock. it folded over the top. loved it, but I hardly every extended the stock. The mavrick actually worked well with that stock bc the saftey was on the trigger and not the top of the gun like the 500. the larger grip asorbed the recoil very well and made follow up shots alot easier. and that old mavrick is what got me into PG in the first place. not just to look cool but to match my gold Desert eagle and shiney rims lol (just kidding)

Here is one to consider. I can't speak for it's "durability" ....yet....but others I have chatted with seem to like it real well and at $50 the price is right!

Rechargeable Tactical Light shines at a super - bright 240 lumens!

Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

I have an NcStar Tactical LED light($39.95 w/mount) mounted to the forearm with a universal rail(Advanced Technologies $7.98) on my Mossberg 500. The light is a softer blue/white 80 lumin so it doesn't blind me with reflected light like my Surefire does. The light is more diffused rather than a focused spot, which makes seeing a room easier too. The focused spot of the surefire was much brighter, but made it harder to see in the corners due to shadows.
    Have only shot about 80-100 rnds with this light, so not sure about how durable it will be long-term. So far I have no complaints.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I am probably going to make an unpopular reply

But I mean absolutely no disrespect to any of you about your choices.
    First, I am a retired police officer and also a retired soldier. I worked my way up to police chief of a small department and I also worked as a light Infantry platoon Sgt.

I also rely on a Remington 870 Police for home defense:

I have a big house, mostly just my wife and I but often we have over night guests, my kids, friends, relatives.

Notice I don't have a light on my 870. If I was in Iraq or Afghanistan I would have a light mounted for the CQB and dynamic entries. If I was a SWAT team member, I would also probably have a light on beause I would be forcing entry into "whatever".

But at home, I use a SureFire with a finger ring mounted on my left hand, not on my weapon. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A48dEDkkI24

There is just something inherently wrong with pointing a loaded weapon at what may be a family member or friend.

There are two real good pluses with using a shotgun for HD.

The first is, no matter what, the person that hears the rack of a pump action knows exactly what it is, even though he/she may never have heard it before. That's a plus because it may mean that they freeze in terror or run away and you don't have to shoot them. Shooting a perp is the very last thing you ever want to have to do because the resultant problems, even when you are right, may not be worth it.

The other plus, of course, you are very unlikely to miss.

Watch the video, think about going downstairs with a loaded shotgun, hearing a noise and npointing your shotgun and light at what may be a loved one.

IMO, bad idea
    Bud

When the cute TV reporter asked the Texas Ranger why he shot the bank robber six times with his.45, he replied, ""Cause they don't make a .50"[/I]

BudMan5,

The linked video shows the light used with a pistol. How would you use it on a shotgun? I just can't wrap my mind around the technique...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I won't be in AZ until next Summer or I would show you.

Consider an intruder in your house at night. I would have either a remington 870 or (my favoite) an 1897 Winchester short barrel and both are pump actions.

Think of your weak hand placement on the foregrip and then visualize where the flashlight ring would be placed (on what finger) on your weak hand holding the foregrip.

I'll try and do a photo later today.
    Bud

When the cute TV reporter asked the Texas Ranger why he shot the bank robber six times with his.45, he replied, ""Cause they don't make a .50"[/I]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links