Yugo 59/66 SKS questions

This is a discussion on Yugo 59/66 SKS questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, So I'm looking at buying a new yugo 59/66 SKS from a local guy. Thing is it doesn't have any of the original accessories, ...

Thread: Yugo 59/66 SKS questions

Yugo 59/66 SKS questions

Hello,

So I'm looking at buying a new yugo 59/66 SKS from a local guy. Thing is it doesn't have any of the original accessories, so I was gonna go ahead and buy the accessories kit from Numrich, however there are two sets, and even though they look similar, one costs a little bit more.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog...811590&catid=0

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog...811570&catid=0

Other then the slings being made of different materials, is there any other difference? Are the ammo pouches the same? How many stripper clips do they hold? What does the gas port reamer do?

Also, he said about two weeks ago he fire about 10 rounds of corrosive yugo ammo through it, but immediately cleaned it with brake cleaner. Now I shoot corrosive ammo all the time though my Mosin Nagant, and as far as I know only water/ammonia will clean it, so am I safe in assuming I need to go back and clean it again with windex?

There also appears to be very small rust spots begining to appear on the inside of the muzzle break, is this something that should cause major concern? I was probably just gonna get some Gunzilla and clean it off with the brush I use for the barrel of my Mosin.

Finally, the piston is really hard to get out. He says the gun cycles and fire just fine, but when I field strip it, the piston is very stubburn. I have to get a pen to push it out. I couldn't get a good look in there, but the store owner looked and said there was no rust, just some residue thats probably from the gases and all I had to do was clean it off. Has anyone else had this problem before?

Sorry if I'm sounding kinda worried, but I never bought a used gun before, so I just wanted to know what you guys thought? Should I go ahead with this?

Edit: I forgot to add that the night sights are really worn out. They're cracked and pitted and nearly gone and don't light up at all in the dark. I was wondering, could I remove the rest of them and somehow find a material/chemical to replace them with that will last a long time?
    Last edited by moress; August 27th, 2010 at 04:33 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    As with any rifle that is new to you, or one you are thinking about buying you need to learn how it functions and how to disassemble it and clean it. Here is a couple of good links for you. SKS's in general are very ruggid and simple semiauto rifles that are relatively easy to handle, maintain and clean. Usually the only issues with the Yugo 59/66 are gas value related. There is so good info about the gas shutoff value in the second link below. The Yugo SKS do not have chrome lined barrels so cleaning for corroisive primer ammo is essential as you already know. The gas valve, piston and piston tube are also key when cleaning for corrisive ammo.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp

Specific to the Yugo SKS
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...tsks/index.asp
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Links