Shotgun sights and vibration

This is a discussion on Shotgun sights and vibration within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm new to shotguns, so I got a Mossberg Maverick for home defense and to get my feet wet with shotgunning. I put a sling ...

Thread: Shotgun sights and vibration

I'm new to shotguns, so I got a Mossberg Maverick for home defense and to get my feet wet with shotgunning. I put a sling on it, as well as a tru glo front site for better aiming with slugs.

I took it to the range yesterday and all went well. I shot buckshot at some target at about 30 yards just to see what the pattern would look like. I was using one of those political yards signs, and it pretty much covered the whole sign. After a few shots, the sign was pretty well shot up.

So I switched to the slugs... 1 oz rifled slugs for my smooth barrel. 1800fps. Man do they kick! After just a couple of slugs, the front site loosened up and was turning sideways. I had tightened it down pretty tight, so I'm wondering how to keep it in place.

I did put some loc tite on it, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it again since.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Not familiar with the front sight you had installed, and not really familiar with the Maverick model 88. I take it there's a threaded hole for it you took the original bead sight out of? Loc-Tite may work, but,,,,sometimes those front bead sight threads are hit and miss with different manufacturers. Your new sight may not actually have threads that match the OEM threads. If your replacement sight has plastic threads then Loc-Tite won't do much good on it. May even deteriorate it.

What you need is thread locker.

Google Loctite or Permatex.

As to your shotgun and using slugs for "home defense", how large and of what construction type is your home?
    Is it the size of the Superdome or a bunker built underground?

Normal sized average construction homes are not going to contain the firing of slugs within them.
    Not that you need a front sight to support as much at a distance that for an average size US home is gong to be inside of 40 feet or much less at it's widest wall to wall spacing.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    What you need is thread locker.

Google Loctite or Permatex.
    I'm very familiar with Loctite, I'm a Harley mechanic.

I put some on it, but I haven't had a chance to go shoot it since.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

As to your shotgun and using slugs for "home defense", how large and of what construction type is your home?
    Is it the size of the Superdome or a bunker built underground?

Normal sized average construction homes are not going to contain the firing of slugs within them.
    Not that you need a front sight to support as much at a distance that for an average size US home is gong to be inside of 40 feet or much less at it's widest wall to wall spacing.

- Janq
    This gun is going to be my SHTF gun. If I need to bug out, and I can only carry one, it will be the shotgun. So the slugs would be for longer distance shooting, primarily larger game. Also, I would imagine it's great fun to disintegrate things with a couple blasts of slugs.

I was shooting target loads, which probably aren't ideal for defense. I was thinking maybe 00 buck for defense, what do you think?
    Last edited by AzB; August 28th, 2010 at 09:31 AM.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Oh got ya...As related to it being your all around purpose SHTF/bugout tol.

As to thread locker the instructions that came with your sight should have indicated that it would be a necessity.
    If it ain't pinned...Then thread lock it, type red.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links