Bought my first AR today

Bought my first AR today

This is a discussion on Bought my first AR today within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tried to find my old post where I was debating between M1 Carbine, AK, and AR. Made my decision today. Went to the gun store ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first AR today

Bought my first AR today

Tried to find my old post where I was debating between M1 Carbine, AK, and AR. Made my decision today. Went to the gun store with the wifey with the intention of buying a new Beretta M9A1. Priced at $619. He showed it to me, looked it through, and asked him to put it back for now, wanted to look at what else they had.

The Mrs looks at the rifles on the back wall and says " what about the ARs??" I said "what about the ARs?" She replied "lets look at them" Ended up buying a pre-owned bushmaster. Pretty basic. Not the deal of the century, but am happy with it. If I were ever forced to sell it, Im confident I would atleast get what I paid for it. ($699) The sticker said $799.

Was going to buy another model but it wasnt suposed to be on display since it was an NFA rifle. Which was priced at 699. So the clerk grabs the one I purchased, that was priced at 799 and sold it to me for 699. Its probably not the best deal I couldve gotten, but am very satisfied. The clerk was very friendly and professional. Great transaction.

IMG00279-20100828-1612.jpgIMG00289-20100828-1620.jpgIMG00277-20100828-1610.jpg
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

GM
    Congrats and enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

As long as you're happy, then good deal for you. Enjoy your new AR, tons of fun!

They're supper fun to shoot and if any zombies stop by, you'll be good to go.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thanks all! Also yes, if the zombies show up, well be ready for them. Both AR and Remington 870 ;)
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2

Congratulations on your first AR-15! I think you did fine actually. Nothing wrong with Bushmaster, and nothing wrong with pre-owned (in my experience). My first brand new Bushmaster cost me around $850 back in the day. I traded into some other models over the years, and finally jumped again once the ban expired. Finally got the one I had always wanted. Give the bolt a good cleaning and inspection. Make sure all the gas rings are there (3), that your firing pin retainer pin is not broken, and that the extractor has good tension. Other than that, we'll be waiting for the range report!
    And the Mrs helped you pick it out? That's awesome in my book. Tell her I said so!

Thanks Ram Rod!

I will do that. Going to break it down and give it a thorough cleanout. Have experience with AR's, carried one when I did private security. (we had bushmasters and colts). Will give a range report as soon as possible.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]

Zombies you say? Don't come to my neck of the woods tomorrow then. They are holding a zombie day festival in my city, complete with a zombie parade on one of the main streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Zombies you say? Don't come to my neck of the woods tomorrow then. They are holding a zombie day festival in my city, complete with a zombie parade on one of the main streets.
    lol better stock up on some 00' buck then. Anyone know if this flash supressor can be removed? Would like to put a regular birdcage type supressor. The clerk said it was on there permanent, however it has flat spots on either side. Looks like you can get a wrench around it.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Congrats on your new toy. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
    lol better stock up on some 00' buck then. Anyone know if this flash supressor can be removed? Would like to put a regular birdcage type supressor. The clerk said it was on there permanent, however it has flat spots on either side. Looks like you can get a wrench around it.
    If.........if.....your Bushmaster is (by serial number) a 'post-ban' or pre-ban.......AND has a barrel length of 16" (without flash suppressor), then the flash suppressor should not be permanently 'welded' on. Thing is, and by the looks of things.....you have a 14.5" barrel with a permanent flash hider installed. I may be wrong about what you actually have in your hands, and I may also be wrong about the current ATF regulations. I don't think much has changed about NFA weapons in a long time. This would include anything with a 'legal' barrel length under 16". I hate to be the bearer of bad news. I'll almost bet your flash hider or muzzle brake is permanently affixed. If it's not obvious, then it's pinned and painted over. Those do look like carbine length hand guards. You can always call Bushmaster and ask by serial number. They made it, they'll know. 1-800-883-6229
    P.S. Uppers are relatively inexpensive these days ruling out bolt and carrier and charging handle. That may be something worth looking into. ;) Just know what the BATF thinks about it all first.

Thanks for the insight RamRod, very much appreciated. Not to worried, about it- I dont see it as bad news at all. Would like to get a flat top upper eventually. Just happy to have a rifle thatll spit something down range. The clerk claimed that the barrel is chrome lined, but I seriously doubt it. Think bushmaster marks the barrels if they were chromed. For the price paid, Im not expecting it to be chromed. Like I said earlier, will invest in a better upper later. Ill invest in a good spectergear sling and a decent scope for now. Im overwhelmed by all the accesories available online. Not going to go overboard, am going to keep it simple: however theres something for everything! Theres nothing you cant 'upgrade'. Thanks for the 800 number BTW.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]

I'm almost sure your Bushmaster has a chrome lined bore. I'll send you $10 if it's not. Seriously. Just let me know. Did you tell the Mrs what I told you to?
    You can catch me on the outside whenever you don't feel like doing it through the forum in replies. Glad you got a nice AR15. I wish we lived a lot closer.

Sure did, she really appreciated it. Thats good to hear about it being chromelined. Sent you a PM.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]

EAJ
    Congrat's. I passed through Deltona last week. Fortunately, I didn't see any Zombie's. Good to know there are prepared citizens. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links