Need Help & Advice: Norinco MK90

Need Help & Advice: Norinco MK90

This is a discussion on Need Help & Advice: Norinco MK90 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a chance to buy a Norinco MK90, in 7.62X39. 3 30 round mags, 200 rounds of ammo (unknown brand) for $350 or a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help & Advice: Norinco MK90

Question Need Help & Advice: Norinco MK90

I have a chance to buy a Norinco MK90, in 7.62X39. 3 30 round mags, 200 rounds of ammo (unknown brand) for $350 or a bit lower. I have not looked at it yet, but the seller tells me there are no scratches in the wood, and the blueing is in good shape.

I have never owned a centerfire rifle, and know virtually nothing about them! LOL!

Are the MK90's reliable?
    Accurate?
    Fun?
    A PITA?
    Worth having?

I dunno what I'll use it for - just sounds fun! Would you recommend it for a first centerfire rifle?

Thanks for the input, folks!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    I have no practical experience with an MK90 (I have a Saiga 12 AK shotgun and WASR2 in 5.45 x 39mm)...but it is an AK....so:

Reliable? To a fault....it's an AK

Accurate? Not like an AR, but you should be able to exact minute-of-babushka (oops...it's Chinese-made so I meant to say "minute-of-The Great Wall of China") groups out of it from about 12"....but then again accuracy isn't an AK's strong suit....after all....it's an AK

Fun? Absolutely....it's an AK

PITA? Depends, if your sample has a slanted front sight and experiences triggerslap...then yes, it can be a PITA....but hey, it's an AK

Worth having? Well....yes....and you know what the rest of what I'm gonna say.....

Buy it and enjoy!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

JT
    Get it. MAK-90s are very good versions of the AK. They are very solid, and also have one of the best AK triggers. $350 is what you will pay for a Romanian. No offense to the Romanian versions, but I would take a MAK-90 over them.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JT
    I just noticed you are in North Texas. If you decide not to get it, let me know. I'll take it.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Assistant Administrator
    These days that price is well acceptable - yes indeed an AK in slightly different furniture but AK just the same.

I would go for it if you can - even if first centerfire rifle.

Come back then with any questions - but go get it! The way Wolf ammo etc has gone up of late, heck that ammo is $30+ right there!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I almost bought a Norinco AK a few months ago. The price was $400 and it was in great condition. It felt like a real quiality AK. I personally find AKs to be a very fun rifle. A great rifle for range fun and self defense situations. That is what I need and I am now looking for an AK aswell.

Hey everyone - THANKS for the input!

Yee Haaa! Bought it tonight. Jeeez...I got a great wife. All serial numbers match. Stock with strange thumb hole. No scratches, nice furniture. Four clips, plus milsup ammo. Can't wait to shoot. Yea...

Sorry..no pics.......yet.........
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; June 28th, 2006 at 12:24 AM.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Hell yeah !! Sorry that I didn't see this thread before,but you got it and thats all that matters.

I have a couple of AKs. The MAK-90 is my favorite. They are real shooters. Let us know if you need any "help" with it.

There are 5,9,20,30,and (IIRC) 40 round mags out there. Also the Beta type mags that will hold 100rds. I would reccommend the 20 rounders for their length. I have a AK style brake on mine. Also the thumbhole stock. I have also done some trigger work and the trigger came out pretty good.

Also would reccommend that you put a recoil buffer from Buffer Technologies in it. It cuts down of the metal to metal "slam".

The price that you mentioned was great also. I feel that $500 would be close to normal,especially with mags.

The ammo that feed the weapon is still pretty cheap. Would suggest that you buy it in 1000(or so) round cases. At a gunshow if possible(save on shipping).

Factory ammo will come in 122gr. FMJ and HP,and 154 gr.Spire Pt. The military FMJ stuff will penetrate like a SOB. The HP's will also but not quite as deep. The 154's are a great killer of deer and (even)the medium sized hogs.

There are lots of sellers of AK associated stuff. TAPCO is one of them. You might need a front sight tool also.
    What you got there is pretty much a auto loading .30-30 as far as the power level.
    Enjoy your new addition to the family. ----------
    Last edited by RSSZ; June 28th, 2006 at 04:58 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I got a MAK and I love it! Not a tack driver but it is a fun shooter. Plus it is chambered in something a little heavier than .223 which I LIKE.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I can't agree with the addition of recoil buffers in any weapon. These are mechanisms designed to slam together; a recoil or shock buffer simply increases the chance of a problem by introducing a potential point of malfunction.

New Member Array pissed-ol-pete's Avatar
    I once saw a Norico in .223. The only reason the Chi-Com would build a rifle in .223 is to sell to the US., to get 'Hard Currency' to rebuild their arms industry.

We may be tradin budies, but I sorta refuse to support a potential foe.

I would not pay $0.05 for any weapon from the chi-coms, unless it was a war souvenier brought back by one of our guys who took it as a battlefield trophy from the corpse who it was issued to.
    I still don't know that I don't know.
    p-o-p

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by pissed-ol-pete
    I once saw a Norico in .223. The only reason the Chi-Com would build a rifle in .223 is to sell to the US., to get 'Hard Currency' to rebuild their arms industry.

We may be tradin budies, but I sorta refuse to support a potential foe.

I would not pay $0.05 for any weapon from the chi-coms, unless it was a war souvenier brought back by one of our guys who took it as a battlefield trophy from the corpse who it was issued to.
    Then I hope you buy absolutely nothing from China. And you better check the tags every time you buy something, because we are flooded with their products. It doesn’t mater if you buy a firearm, a radio, or a toy, the money all goes to the same place. No offense, but it’s hypocritical to condemn the purchasing of firearms, but to buy other products from China.

I would rather buy a firearm from them than a standard “consumer product”. At least when I purchase a firearm, the Chinese are helping to arm their enemy. Think of how many inexpensive SKS’s and MAK-90s they exported to this country that helped arm our civilian population. Many of which could not afford a rifle until the $100 SKS came along. If (God forbid) we ever had to fight them on our soil, don’t you think those weapons will come back to haunt them? Certainly more then all the clock radios they sent over.
    Last edited by JT; June 29th, 2006 at 09:54 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    JT,

I like the way you think. Every good ole boy(myself included) from here to Seattle would be firing away at them with SKS's and MAK's.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Congrats on a fine purchase.....
    Should be fun plinker...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    JT,

I like the way you think. Every good ole boy(myself included) from here to Seattle would be firing away at them with SKS's and MAK's.
    If they invade through Mexico up into Texas (i.e. Red Dawn scenario) we would welcome any reinforcements you could send from Georgia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links