Looking for advice on a new rifle.

This is a discussion on Looking for advice on a new rifle. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for a .30 cal rifle, preferably a .308. I have not made any decisions yet on whether I want a semi-auto, bolt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am looking for a .30 cal rifle, preferably a .308.

I have not made any decisions yet on whether I want a semi-auto, bolt action or lever action. Nor have I made a decision on whether or not I want a removable box magazine. I do want Stainless Steel and I do want a synthetic stock. I “think” I want the ability to use either optics or iron sights. I would prefer not to spend more that $500, but I can go as high as $1000.00 if I think the rifle is worth it. I would also prefer a shorter barrel (18 – 20”) but will consider a longer barrel (24”) if the rifle is still “quick handling”.

My primary criterion are:

Reliability – must be reliable and durable – rough mountain terrain – it will need to be able to “take a lickin and keep on tickin”

Accuracy – Sub MOA is not necessary, however, I do want less than 2 MOA (I do not plan on using it beyond 300 yards, and probably not that far).

Weight – I would like something in the neighborhood of 7 lbs. Certainly no more than 8 lbs (I need to be able to carry this on a multi-day hunt).

I would appreciate any advise or recommendations. I am more of a pistol guy and do not have a wie range of exposure to rifles.

Thanks!

I built my own .308 budget rifle recently. here is the price list:

All include shipping and tax

Stevens Model 200 .308 from Davidsons $343.04

Bushnell Elite 3200 Rifle Scope 10x 40mm Mil-Dot Reticle Matte
    Burris 1" Zee Weaver-Style Rings Matte Medium
    from midway $254.01

Burris Xtreme Tactical Scope Steel 2-Piece Bases from optics planet $22.28

Karsten's Custom Cheek Rest A-Model from tacticalworks.com $65.00

Rifle Basix Trigger 1-3lbs from Midway $83.07

Model 10111 Limbsaver Precision Fit Recoil Pad from Walnut Creek Archery $35.36

Grand Total: $802.76

add about 10 bucks worth of paint and a 10 dollar sling from local gun shop and I got a lightweight accurate rifle
    Attached Images

I used a Ruger M-77 in .308 for dear hunting for a number of years. It was very acurate and it did take a lickin. (Fell in some ice and snow covered rocks, both me and the Ruger took a preaty good spill with no damage to the Ruger. Me on the other hand.......).
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

First and foremost what is the primary use of this rifle? I'm guessing hunting from that line stating something about a multi day hunt?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I had a Ruger M77 MkII bolt rifle in .223 - it was an excellent rifle. Sold it because I rarely had time to shoot it, and it was more of a plinker than a defensive rifle. I would second one in .308.

I also had a Saiga AK-style in .308. That was a dog. Trigger reset issues, and stove pipe jams. Sold it at a loss. The thing would not shoot anything resembling a shot group. Stay away from Saiga!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Yup.. this will be a field gun. It will spend enough time on the range for me to become proficient with it, then it will become my primary hunting rifle.

Yes, it would be used in a SHTF scenario, but it is not meant to be a self defense weapon (I have something else for that).

It basically needs to be reliable with “hunting accuracy” out to about 300 yards.

My price range is for the rifle itself and is not including the cost of optics or other accessories.

vietnamvet66,
    The Ruger M77 looks interesting, what kind of accuracy should I expect from it?

Thanks.

Ruger M77 would be my choice, mostly because all of my hunting rifles have been them. first 30-06 and now a 7mm Rem Mag. Just killed a moose at 365 yards with the 7mm, uphill shot. Went all the way through, broke the front shoulder on the OPPOSITE side. :-) 308 is a good all around hunting choice. Good luck!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

VIP Member
    As far as your weight limit goes i think you're only going to find a bolt gun that light. I suggest going to a big gun store and holding (fondle ) multiple makers. pick up and shoulder a remington, a ruger, a Browning, a Winchester and a few other name brands. Work the bolt a few times on each one. The best rifle FOR YOU will jump out at you soon enough. I'm a Remington man myself. Good hunting.

I like Nikon scopes too. Great glass!
    Last edited by atctimmy; September 1st, 2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: punctuation :(
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Savage Model 16 with Stainless barrel & syn stock in .308 left handed is what I bought for my son. Check it out on the Savage website. I'm not exactly sure of the weight though. It has a ~22" barrel. It maybe what you are looking for. Hope this helps ya. BTW, I shoot a Ruger M77 in .308 that's about 35 years old.
    SCGunLover1

Look at the Mini-G M1 Garand done by Shufflin Parkerizing. It takes the extremely dependable M1 and turns it into a bush/tactical rifle with a 16" barrel. Mine shoots great and is much more versatile after the conversion. I had him convert a CMP Garand for me. Was it Townsend Whelen that said that a 30-06 is never a mistake?

OP - I have a target on my safe that I shot with my Ruger M77 Mk II in .223 - five shot group, using cheapo ammo from Wal mart, at just over 1 inch. That was with a hot barrel - and the barrels on those are not free floated, IIRC.

For hunting, at a reasonable price, I think the Ruger is a good choice. I also like the Ruger scope rings...very solid mount. And I will also say that Ruger's customer service is great!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Look at the Howa rifles!
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Remington 700 BDL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I had a Ruger M77 MkII bolt rifle in .223 - it was an excellent rifle. Sold it because I rarely had time to shoot it, and it was more of a plinker than a defensive rifle. I would second one in .308.

I also had a Saiga AK-style in .308. That was a dog. Trigger reset issues, and stove pipe jams. Sold it at a loss. The thing would not shoot anything resembling a shot group. Stay away from Saiga!
    Sorry to hear of your Saiga problems, I have no such issues with mine.

If hunting is the primary use, take a look at the Savage Weather Warrior series with the Accutrigger. They have a reputation for stellar accuracy right out of the box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links