Deer rifle, but useful for zombies? - Page 2

Deer rifle, but useful for zombies?

This is a discussion on Deer rifle, but useful for zombies? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A .30-30 or .44mag lever-action rifle should do nicely. Based on your requirements (deer, multiple family members with variation in recoil sensitivity, support of "brushy" ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deer rifle, but useful for zombies?

A .30-30 or .44mag lever-action rifle should do nicely. Based on your requirements (deer, multiple family members with variation in recoil sensitivity, support of "brushy" terrain, ease of adding a scope, low cost, ability to cover a SHTF situation in a pinch), a reliable lever-action rifle should cover the need fairly well.

Uncertain which calibers you have fired, previously. Particularly if recoil sensitivity is a consideration, I would suggest trying out a few first.

I'm partial to the .44mag caliber, myself. If 100 to 125 yds is your limit, I would think .44mag might be a serious option to consider, over .30-30. Something to think about, if recoil sensitivity is a concern.

A lever-action gives you the option of using the iron sights, mounting a scope in the standard position (with 3-4" eye relief), or mounting a scope or other optics in the "scout" position (forward of the "standard position, with ~8-9" eye relief). Some folks use a red dot sight. I've got a 2.5x fixed-power Leupold on one that provides a good field of view to support easy coverage of both shorter and longer distances. Great for shorter (< 125yd) "brush" situations.

In lever-action, I've basically got the same Marlin 1894 in .357mag, .44mag and (prevously) .30-30. The .30-30 was a carbine with 18.5" bbl, while the .357mag and .44mag are both 1894's in the "guide gun" (16" bbl) format. All of them are lightweight, well balanced, easy to maneuver in tight spaces. The 1894CP .357mag and the 1894P .44mag in particular feel wonderful in the hand.

If considering the .44mag, some folks have their lever-action rifles massaged by a gunsmith to accommodate the longer, heavier (> 300gr) bullets that handle busting through brush a bit better.

Nicely, the lever-action format supports a good range of caliber choices, as well. In basicallky the same rifle (ie, Marlin 1894 or 1895), you can find one in .357mag, .44mag, .45LC, .45-70, .308 Marlin. As you know, particularly in the common .30-30 caliber, you can find them for very little money. The .44magnums tend to be a bit more.

Have fun in your search!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My Marlin 336SS, a stainless in 30-30 is my favorite perimeter/hunting rifle. They've been around for a long time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsor
    You'll be happy with the Marlin. Mine is a joy to shoot and beautiful to look at. What more could you ask for?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

mrm
    Check out the new leverevolution ammo for the 30-30 and you will be plesently suprised with the ballistics that it allows the rifle to hit, we even use them in Montana where the shots are 250 yards away.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ... Uncertain which calibers you have fired, previously. Particularly if recoil sensitivity is a consideration, I would suggest trying out a few first. ...
    I remember the recoil from the Winchester 30.06 I had, and I found it uncomfortable. Sure, I could suck it up and live with it, but I'm not sure I need to since I'm starting fresh. And my delicate little wife, should she ever choose to shoot instead of just tracking, dispatching, field-dressing, carrying back to camp, butchering, cooking, serving, and cleaning my rifles after dinner, well, I would like her to have something a bit gentler. You know, because I care.

Joking about the tracking and dragging, and I clean my own guns. But she IS the butcher of the family (and did our last cow... from grain-bucket-and-headshot to quarters) Gotta add: I was considering $100 for a Mosin-Nagant, and SHE was the one who counseled me to spend more and get something better... and tossed in $100 of her saved Christmas money.

No, she doesn't have a sister.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Sure appreciate your comments... one followup, though:

The rifle I'm looking at (for $290) has a Tasco 3-9 power zoom, about the same diameter as all the other scope (40mm?), looks 'clean' mechanically, but has what appears to be vitiligo on the wood. The finish is much lighter in patches, as though paint had chipped. My inclination is that if there are a few rifles at the same price and one trusts the price-setter (and I do), the uglier one is likely to be better mechanically and I won't cry if I bump it.

Thoughts? And does someone have a link to a good page on what to look for in a used rifle?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Might take a look at the new Remington 770 in 30-06. With scope no less and well below your budget! I've even seen them in the local Wal Marts here. That's why I started a thread about them here a while back. Haven't got much input on it lately. Here's a link for you:
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700856339.html

The thread I was asking about it and anyone's experience with it: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...770&highlight=
    I would have to agree with Ramrod at the prices and requirements you are talking about.

A bolt action Savage Edge, Savage 200, Remington 770 in just about any caliber you want. Me I'd like to have one in .308. All of these will run just under $300 or just over with scope on Gallery of Guns.

The only problem with the above mentioned bolt gun is it has no iron sites. If the scope is damaged, you are screwed.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Since VA has no restrictions on magazine capacity for hunting deer I say go with an AK. Ballistics are very close to a 30-30 and you have higher magazine capacity.

I've shot a few deer in VA and the farthest one away was only about 35 feet. AK will do just fine.

I now hunt with an M1a with a couple of 20 Rounders. I came across a big poaching camp about 4 years ago. So capacity is protection from the two legged critters as well as my hunting rifle.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Thoughts? And does someone have a link to a good page on what to look for in a used rifle?
    ChuckHawks.com has a write-up on what to look for when evaluating used rifles: click.

And you can run a Google search with the following terms, to find a number of write-ups: intitle:"a used rifle"
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The only problem with the above mentioned bolt gun is it has no iron sites. If the scope is damaged, you are screwed.
    Iron sights could easily be added relatively cheap by a gunsmith. I looked at prices of lever guns the other day in my area and they run about $450-500. I would rather pay $250 for a Savage edge and then pay a gunsmith $100 to drill and tap for a front sight and dovetail the barrel for a rear sight.

JMO

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    You have a point there. That model though is sold for $300 with the scope. The scope is only worth about $35.00 and can be easily replaced.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

As soon as I read your requirements/wishes I was thinking 30-30. Glad to see the consensus.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Years ago, my first deer rifle was a Glenfield 30-30, the economy version of the Marlin 336. Great gun, never let me down. In fact, I let it down by selling it!

The 3x9 is probably overkill for a 30-30 scope. But as long as it's mounted and works....

While there are many better HD choices, a 30-30 will certainly get the job done. After seeing what a 150 grain softpoint did to a deer, no BG is going to need a followup shot.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sure, if your scope breaks in an emergency shtf situation, just run to Wally world and get you another one. Then spend valuble time and rounds to re sight in the rifle. The zombies will wait until you are finished.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links