Deer rifle, but useful for zombies?

This is a discussion on Deer rifle, but useful for zombies? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm Sure, if your scope breaks in an emergency shtf situation, just run to Wally world and get you another one. Then ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deer rifle, but useful for zombies?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Sure, if your scope breaks in an emergency shtf situation, just run to Wally world and get you another one. Then spend valuble time and rounds to re sight in the rifle. The zombies will wait until you are finished.
    Like I said have Irons mounted on it your still cheaper or the same cost of most marlin's nowdays and you have a better caliber selection.

If he can pick up the $290 marlin he talked about in the first post. Otherwise I would get the bolt or a Saiga 7.62x39 with a side mounted scope. That way I don't have to run to Walmart and get a screwdriver to take the busted scope off. Just poking a little fun at ya glockman.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    A 30-30 or an SKS would both do everything you want. The up side to the SKS is that it's faster to reload and has a bigger magazine. Ballistics and accuracy are about equal.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Looks like a near consensus...for your needs the lever action 30-30 is a very adequate choice. The Marlin will allow you to put a scope on without interfering with ejection of the spent case

I hear ya Rigrat. I'm used to a little rousing. I have a marlin 1894 with a 18 inch ported barrel in 44 mag. I have it set up with Lyman apature sites and a Burris fixed 4x compact scope. It is light and handy and holds 8 rounds. Capacity is not an issue because you can road load, or in modern terms load as you go. I'll post a picture of it in a little bit.

Re Deer guns that do double duty as zombie killers

gun.jpggun2.jpggun3.jpg Here are a couple of my favorite older style guns. One is a 16 1/2 inch 44 marlin, and the other a Blackhawk 44 with my reloads. Also shown is compact Burris 4x scope with quick detachable mounts. Notice the Lyman apeture sites.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    Check out the new leverevolution ammo for the 30-30 and you will be plesently suprised with the ballistics that it allows the rifle to hit, we even use them in Montana where the shots are 250 yards away.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^

Here is a paragraph from a writeup on it;

These new Evolution bullets deliver a markedly higher ballistic coefficient than the round nose and flat point bullets previously loaded in cartridges designed for use in lever action rifles. Downrange, these sleeker bullets retain more of their initial velocity and deliver more energy on target.

The new bullets are claimed to be exceptionally accurate and to deliver terminal performance (penetration and expansion) comparable to a conventional 170 grain FP bullet at short range and far superior at long range. During Hornady's ballistic gelatin tests the Evolution bullet gave substantial expansion and produced a large wound cavity even at 300 yards, while at that range the standard 170 grain FP bullet simply sailed through the gelatin block without expanding. The early independent tests and field reports that I have seen tend to confirm that the Evolution bullets' terminal performance is approximately as claimed.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leverevolution.htm

30-30 will be fine

And as far as the advice on the SKS; I have one and its a great rifle for deer(5 round detatch. and the hi cap mags work fine

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Nice setup Glockman, I would own lever myself if they wasn't so darn high now days. I'll just use my wifes Winny 94 pre-64 model. for now.

I saw 2 used winnys at buds last weekend. (used) for 290.00 I think they would have gone down 20 bucks or so. I have an old winny with the Lyman aperature sites also. My squirrel rifle is a Henry lever gun with the same sight set up, so no matter what I am hunting, there is no difference in action or site system.

I am in agreement that a lever in 30-30, similar or .44 Mag would do the job for you.

GM10,
    Your long gun setup looks familiar. Mine is a 94 Wrangler in 32 Win Spec with a Williams, shown with 200 rd "quick out" bag. Saw one recently on the net for $900 nib.
    Attached Images

Just to be contrarian - if your max shot is less than 100 yards, is there any reason not to just use slugs in your 20 g shotgun? Could your wife handle the recoil?

I'm pretty sure you could mount a scope on your Rem 870 shotty - just a thought. Would be a lot cheaper than the other options discussed...though there's nothing wrong with a SKS or a lever gun either.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Just to be contrarian - if your max shot is less than 100 yards, is there any reason not to just use slugs in your 20 g shotgun? Could your wife handle the recoil?

I'm pretty sure you could mount a scope on your Rem 870 shotty - just a thought. Would be a lot cheaper than the other options discussed...though there's nothing wrong with a SKS or a lever gun either.
    Would I need a rifled barrel?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

No.

No you wouldn't necessarily need a rifled barrel. Though I believe the accuracy would be slightly better with a rifled barrel. I'm going to do the same thing this deer season, mount a red dot on my Mossy 500 and try slugs in it. I'll let the daughter use the wifes Winny 94.
    With a little luck maybe I can get around 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards.

Lot's of good advice here.

I picked up my Winchester 94AE, new in the box for $200, at a gun show 10 yrs ago.

Recently, I bought a Stevens 200 in .223. The Stevens is a budget Savage rifle, a cheap stock, but the action is the reputable Savage action. You can pick up a Stevens in any caliber for about $300. The downside, like glockman pointed out, is that it has no iron sights. But, it is drilled and tapped; you could add a rail to the top and use any number of options...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Yet another vote for the .30-30, a Marlin in particular. I was thinking SKS, but...you want optics on it, an the dustcover optic mounts for SKS's are just too darn flimsy for my tastes.

A 20ga slug barrel will work as well, though. With practice, one can make minute of venison shots at 100 yards fairly easily. Get one with a cantilevered scope mount for ease of switching barrels back and forth.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links