Deer rifle, but useful for zombies?
- Able to take deer: max long shot perhaps 100 yds, brushy woods on property;
- Useful for family defense if necessary. Can't say I can really imagine a scenario with a happy ending, but it might be nice to have more options than I have now.
Decision factors include:
- Budget ($400?);
- Recoil (prefer less, especially if Dear Wife might need to use it);
- Optics (I wear bifocals, suggesting the need for a scoped rifle);
- Local laws (need >.230 caliber to take deer where we are);
- Already have a Remington 870 Express shotgun in 20ga and willing to consider a new barrel but dubious considering probably need for a scope);
- Willing to wait 'til the New Year to purchase (after deer season and folks get their first after-Christmas VISA bills).
Given those constraints, which rifle(s) would you suggest I consider?
At the moment I'm leaning towards a $290 pawnshop Marlin 30-30 lever action rifle with a Tasco scope at the moment; I was considering a Mosin Nagant for price and durability but am less enthusiastic about it now due to recoil, difficulty of adding a scope, and the brushy nature of much of our terrain (MNs are pretty long).