Romainian RPK

This is a discussion on Romainian RPK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Aim Surplus has Romainian RPKs in m7.62x39 for sale. 23 1/8" barrel. 2 mags, sling, pouch, oil bottle, butt stock cleaning kit. Side scope mount, ...

Thread: Romainian RPK

Romainian RPK

Aim Surplus has Romainian RPKs in m7.62x39 for sale. 23 1/8" barrel. 2 mags, sling, pouch, oil bottle, butt stock cleaning kit. Side scope mount, carry handle, and folding bipod. The price is $499.95.

Does anyone have any experience with the Romainian RPKs? Are they better quality than the Romainian WASRs? Because I handled a WASR NIB and it looked pretty rough. I'd rather spend a little more to get a decent AK. I'd prefer a VEPR but those are more than hard to find. A gun show might be a better place to start looking.

2. Remove Ads

I have some experience with actual RPK's of Soviet manufacture. Though some were just plain whipped, overall I found them to be a decent weapon. I felt it was too unweildy for use in urban areas/in and around vehicles and I did not think the extra barrel length did that much more for the 7.62x39mm. Given a choice, I would opt for the AK.

If you were looking for a SHTF rifle, I would pass. If you are looking for an "attention getter" with the boys at the gun club, you may have a winner. I can not comment on the price.

I'm not looking for an attention getter. Like the guy at the range who is blasting away with a .50AE Desert Eagle and can't hit crap. No, thats not me. I just want a good, modestly priced, reliable rifle that can bee used as a shtf weapon or a fun range toy.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was thinking the barrel was a little too long and I find most normal AKs have decent combat accuracy.

I agree with 6. Go with the a decent AK; I just picked up an ArmoryUSA SSR-85C-2 AK from Ordnance Outsellers - it's a sweet shooter. Put an Ultimak optics rail and an EOTech on it last night; now I have to wait until the weekend to try it out.
    Sig P220ST; P229DAK/.40; P229TT/9mm, P228 (CPO) & P239/9mm; S&W 617; Ruger MK-II/Pac-Lite; Stag AR15 Middie; M1 Garand & M1903A3; Armory SSR-85C-2/AK47; Yugo M59 SKS; NRA Life Member & Eagle Scout.

“The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men” – Henry David Thoreau

I'm looking at either an Arsenal or Vepr. I'll take either. It's just a matter of which one I find after I have the money. But I like the looks of the Vepr furniture better.

One thing I should point out is the "RPK" being sold at this point by most of the distributors is not actually one in practice (beyond the full-auto switch) - it doesn't have the reinforced trunions and proper receiver. It's merely a long-barrelled AK.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Ah I see. I guess I could go get a Vepr II with a 20" barrel. Add a harris bipod and a 75 round drum. That would be closer to an RPK, except for full-auto.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 229DAK
    I agree with 6. Go with the a decent AK; I just picked up an ArmoryUSA SSR-85C-2 AK from Ordnance Outsellers - it's a sweet shooter. Put an Ultimak optics rail and an EOTech on it last night; now I have to wait until the weekend to try it out.
    Little known fact - the EOTech is intended to go between the AR and AK platforms.

The 1 moa dot in the center is where you expect the AR rounds to hit, and the AK rounds should end up somewhere in the 65moa ring...

Matt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    the AK rounds should end up somewhere in the 65moa ring...

Matt
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Links