Kel Tec Sub2000

This is a discussion on Kel Tec Sub2000 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw one of these rifles in the gun shop today for the first time and I was intrigued. A light compact rifle in .40 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel Tec Sub2000

Kel Tec Sub2000

I saw one of these rifles in the gun shop today for the first time and I was intrigued. A light compact rifle in .40 caliber that folds in half on a hinge (barrel folds up over the receiver and stock and locks in) and uses Glock magazines. I've got a carbine rifle in a same handgun caliber as some of my handguns, so I appreciate the versatility and modularity (is that a word?). Lots of potential for custumization. If you have a Glock pistol in .40 with plenty of mags (including some high cap mags), I could see a lot of advantages to having a folding light compact rifle that not only uses the same ammo, but the exact same mags. That would be great for camping, home defense, etc. Perhaps these are old news, but it was the first one I've seen.

I don't have a Glock, so it's not something I'd buy at this point, but it was a really cool concept and execution. I don't know how they shoot or anything like that, but if anyone has one I'd be interested to know how you like it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

They're GREAT for a bug out bag. I've put a couple hundred rnds down range with the one my boss owns and it seemed to be reliable. To me, they are hard to get comfortable shooting with but, they are very versatile and capable out to a 100 yrds.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

I have looked at these for my BOB, as I EDC a G23. I also have looked at the Kel-tec SU-16 which folds and also takes AR mags. There are lots of kit out there to make them tacticool and mount optics etc. Search for Pirate's threads...he has one pretty modded out.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

For me just holding it up and sighting it, it felt like the recoil pad was sitting too high on my shoulder (bottom corner of is was sitting high on my sholder, not the curved part). Felt like it shold have been offset so it rested lower when sighted. Anyway, cool set-up and I could just see the potential. I'd just hate to buy one of these and then be forced to buy a G23 to have matching stuff (my wife tells me coordinating your accessories and matching your stuff is important, so I could tell her I finally listened to what she said). It's probably going to chip away at me in the back of my mind until I do. There's always something else...
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    I have had one in 9mm Glock 19 version and am very satisfied.
    I bought it before H.R. 218 came into play as to have a legal firearm when driving to different states.
    I have yet to have it jam and it's accuracy still amazes me.

I just bought my second 9MM Sub2K. Great little gun.

One lives next to the bed and another in a laptop case in my car with a couple of 33 rd mags.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

I've thought about getting one of these. The issue that keeps popping up in my head is...one, you can only shoot one gun at a time; and two, when would I choose a Sub 2000 instead of my more capable Mini 14? The Mini 14 is small enough, and fires a much more capable round. If I need something smaller, like for a bug out bag, I can remove the barrel from my shotgun - would fit in a fairly small bag, though not as small as the Sub 2000.

I can appreciate the idea of this little carbine, but I'm not a collector - all my guns are for defensive or instructional use. I just wouldn't see a scenario where I would reach for that instead of a "real" rifle or a shotgun.

One other thing to consider - some JHPs will "blow up" and under-penetrate when fired at carbine barrel length velocities. You need to keep that in mind. Don't assume the same ammo that you use in your Glock will perform well in a carbine.

Of course, YMMV.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; September 4th, 2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

They look intriguing to me, but I have no real practical use for them either.

I suppose I would pick one up if I had a surplus of money
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Personally, I would be more inclined to lean in this direction.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...arbine-Carrier

I have always wanted one of the Sub2000 rifles. I always thought they were a perfect fit for a Bug Out Bag. Not sure now that I can justify the purchase since I have an AK and an AR. But i can sure try to find a way to make a case for one!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Howdy!

I had one of the Sub 2000 Glock 40 mag's. Works flawlessly never had a problem one. Sold it to someone that just had to have it. I wished I could find another one at a good price I would buy it in a hart beat.

"Happy Trails"
    chiefneon

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have owned a KT Sub 2000 for many years and have thousands of rounds through the little carbine. I have also posted many times here about the rifle and the other pistol caliber carbines I own including the Hi Point 995 and Marlin Camp 9. The Sub 2000 is like all Kel Tec products, generally well designed and innovative but with lots of cheap plastic parts and sometime questionable build quality. My Sub 2000 uses Beretta 92 mags. Its been a fun and reliable plinker that would also serve in the HD role well IMO. Its certainly not a military quality weapon but as a truck gun or carbine companion to your Glock in an HD role it will serve you well. There are also a lot of aftermarket upgrades that really work and add to the shooting experience and useability of this small carbine. The weakness of the design are the front sight which is cheap plastic and hard to adjust (I replaced mine with a all aluminum AR style sight by Blueforce) and the little rifle is not very tough and cannot take a lot of abuse which is the tradeoff you pay to have a inexpensive light and quick handling/foldable carbine.

here is another post with some good info
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t=#post1719934
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

If you have an AR you also owe it to your self to check out the Keltedc SU-16. I have considered both.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have a G23 and a G27. Ive seriously considered the Sub-2000 in .40 to go with my Glocks. Id much rather have an AR rifle in .223 but at about $600.00 cheaper the sub-2000 might be a good alternative.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I love my 9mm SUB-2000, shares mags with my Glock 17. It is fun to plink with and I think that it makes a good BOB carbine. I usually keep at least 6 19 round mags and a couple of 33 round mags loaded with FMJ in my BOB for my SUB. I usually carry one of my Glocks (17, 19, 26) as my EDC and the spare mags that I carry are always Glock 17 compatible. So I will have interchangeability with the SUB and my carry pistol, I can put a mag for the carbine in the pistol or put the spare pistol mags in the carbine. You have gotta make sure that you have what it takes to make the BGs , and to keep you alive.

Although, I do think that a Glock 26 with a 33 round magazine inserted does look kinda silly.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links