hunting/sniper rifle

hunting/sniper rifle

This is a discussion on hunting/sniper rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking at past threads and without starting a brand war, I'm having a hard time deciding on a .308 ar platform that is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hunting/sniper rifle

hunting/sniper rifle

I've been looking at past threads and without starting a brand war, I'm having a hard time deciding on a .308 ar platform that is not too heavy to carry hunting, but will also be good for 1000 meter work if needed. I've looked at DPMS, AR10,Rem25, Bushmaster,etc.,etc. I waffle between a .308 and something newer such as 6.5 creedmoore, but fall back on ammo availability. The 6.8spc strikes me as somewhat under powered for what I'm looking for. Anybody have any practical experience here that can shed some light on this? I have a Busmaster in .223 and was hoping to get an upper for it, but can't find anything suitable in a caliber I like, so it's probably going to be a new gun. The 1/10 barrels for the heavier bullets only come in 20". I'd like a 24" if I'm going to stick with a .223/5.56 which I'm not excited about doing. Thanks!
    BTW, I just ordered two Timney triggers for my Win. 70 and my AR. If anybody has some install tips, they'd be greatly appreciated..
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

If you want that kind of range, with portability...you may want to forget about the semi-autos, and start looking at bolt guns. A 1000m AR is going to have a fairly long, heavy barrel and will probably come in at well over 10 pounds.

Either that, or have a hunting upper and a LR upper...something to consider.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

That's my thoughts on it exactly, 2 uppers. And a good bolt gun is going to weigh 10 lbs. also with a bull barrel, so I think it's a wash.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

GM
    I agree with what other said; I should forget about the semi-autos and I would look at bolt guns.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Bolt action, for my .02 cents.

Or, even older combat rifles..... that could hit 800-1000 yrds accurately.

Or, don't play around and get a Barrett, anywhere from 5.56, 6.8 & .50 cal . http://www.barrett.net/
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I know the bolt guns are inherantly more accurate, but the AR platforms have come a long way lately, and are very close to the same specs. I like the fact of fast follow-up shots with no change to holds, etc. Are the bolts that much better still?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Bolt action, for my .02 cents.

Or, even older combat rifles..... that could hit 800-1000 yrds accurately.

Or, don't play around and get a Barrett, anywhere from 5.56, 6.8 & .50 cal . http://www.barrett.net/
    Well, a Garand M1 falls into that category does'nt it? I would love a Barrett .50 if I could afford it and it's ammo

DMPS 6.5 creedmore or 260 rem. if you can find it, both will out shoot a 308 well past 1000y

you can get it from gunbroker for about 1000$ to 1100$

and i would take a 6.5 Grendel over a 6.8 any day.... 6.8spc ballistics suck as hard as a 30-30

Senior Moderator
    You want to hunt or use it for badguys when the SHTF, go with the Semi.
    A bolt is fine for accuracy but sucks in a firefight. The semi's have come a long,long way and they give up very little to the bolt, the gap between the two isnt near as big as it used to be. Rapid reload capability isnt even in the same league and when people are shooting at you it does matter.

I have several accurized blueprinted Rems in .223,308,300 WIN Mag,and in .300 Whisper.I have whacked deer with all but the .223 which I consider too light for deer. All of these rifles will hit a 10"gong at 1000 yards, except for the .300 Whisper which is at best a 300 yard gun.

I also have several AR's in various configurations, including a Rock River .308 that will hang with any of the bolt actions. When the SHTF it'll be the Rock River .308 with the Mark 4 Leupold that stays with me. Quick follow up shots that are accurate is where its at.

As for the Triggers, make sure you have the right pin punches to knock up the pins and use a bench block if you have one to support the triggers so that you dont break them off. Take you time and read the instructions that come with them and you'll be fine. Make sure that the safety functions as it should.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well, I almost hate to come in late to something like this. Thing is.........you've already gotten good advice on the bolt action vs, the semi auto. Sometimes, that's just the way things are. Are you a hunter, or a "sniper"? World of difference here. A hunter is not a sniper, but the sniper is a hunter. With all due respect, I think you've made a contradiction in terms. The two don't actually go together. Hunting game is one thing...........(I'm leaving the rest up to you at this point).

Senior Moderator
    And hunting people that shoot back is another. Thats best accomplished from a long ways off.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

What about the Noveske N6? It's chambered in 7.62 and available with barrel lengths up to 21". And if you buy now, you'll get a free stripped lower (5.56) receiver along with the purchase of a rifle or an upper.

Brian

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I would go with semi auto. I do feel a little bit more confident in the super long range accuracy of a bolt gun, but I have nothing proving it. I hunt with a semi auto, and the thing makes tiny groups even at range. It's definitely enough to be combat effective. 2 uppers is a great idea. I'm thinking of getting a second upper for my AR
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I recently installed the timney in both my AR and .300win. and what a nice difference. I liked it so much, I got a couple more for some other rifles. The install was easy enough for even me! and only took 15-20 mins.

No free lunch here. Only compromises. If your not a trained sniper, a 1000 yard gun is as usless to you as a Ferrari in a soap box derby. You will never be able to use it to it's full potential. By a good hunting rifle, quality optics and it will do as much as you are capable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links