Dont laugh Im serious - Youth 12guage

This is a discussion on Dont laugh Im serious - Youth 12guage within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So.... I live in GA. Deer country, they're small too, 20 guage eats em up or mows em down whatever you wanna say. Rifles yeah ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont laugh Im serious - Youth 12guage

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

So....

I live in GA. Deer country, they're small too, 20 guage eats em up or mows em down whatever you wanna say.

Rifles yeah they are nice but I like shotties when hunting good old venison.

Well I was thinking.... my big massive cumbersome 12ga Bellini Nova is a monster.

Im thinking of this.... or a like product. Walmart is selling a few of these tater tot shotguns for the low 200s. So was just thinking.
    http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=22

I am not joking. Lightweight still packs 20ga heat and iron sights are perfect for the 30-40 yard shots in our thick dense forest.

Thoughts....
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with that for a 30-40 yrd shot. At the end of the day, all that matters is if it did the job!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

If you really, really do limit range to 50 yards max, your son will do OK with proper practice and sighting in.

However - conventional 20 ga slugs in a smoothbore barrel are far from an optimum combination. A solid-breech gun with a fully rifled barrel shooting 20 ga sabot slugs would be capable of solid, repeatable hits beyond 100 yards.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    I think it would be fine.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If you really, really do limit range to 50 yards max, your son will do OK with proper practice and sighting in.

However - conventional 20 ga slugs in a smoothbore barrel are far from an optimum combination. A solid-breech gun with a fully rifled barrel shooting 20 ga sabot slugs would be capable of solid, repeatable hits beyond 100 yards.
    I think he's considering it for himself, not a child.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Yup for me.

I hike really far like 3-6 miles deep to go deer hunting, usually 2 days before season opens. Why?
    That is where the monster bucks live. All the regular folks with their loud 4 wheelers and loud JD Gators driving in or marching in at 6am to setup making all that noise. They get the little ones.

Last year I got a monster (in GA terms) buck. But man carrying out a cumberson 12guage and buck with a deer drag for 3 miles was a freaking chore.

So I was looking to lighten my load. That was all. I got accepted for a Deer lottery in a hotly contested WMA so I was excited and looking to change a few things.

Alas.... I could always use the 6.8spc AR but i've never shot anything other than wood and steel with it.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    Will a youth model fit you? Usually they have shorter stocks.

If you want a 20 ga, why not just get a full size 20 ga and not a youth model. Shotguns are all about proper fit.

PS Just re-read your post....what exactly are you looking at, the title I see says 12 ga but your text says 20 ga as well as the photo.......maybe I am getting this all mixed up in the head.

Its a 20 guage. Its cool. I am gonna take my nephews youth and just shoot it. He has one. He just lives 7 hours from me.

I typically use a 12guage benelli or 12 guage mossy. I was just wanting something real small and light and im not shooting for medals. Just need to place a slugger right on the mark at 20 yards'ish.
    Our woods in GA are too thick for much else. Heck I even thought about just hunting with my fathers old .44mag. He has some nice fiber optic little plastic shotgun sites. I think they are called Tru-glo or something like that. Really nice little handgun. Has like a 7" barrel. A little cannon!

Administrator
    Check out the 11-87 compact. Its is a neat little gun. I bought one for a quick light handling quail gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Maybe not the same, but I squirrel hunt with my kids .22 chipmunk. So you can accurately shoot a small gun if you have the basics down. Particularly if you don't have to make a quick shot. I'm sure you could shoot it. And I'm sure it would do what you want. YOu could go really light and get a single shot.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I did check the link. IMO.......if you can get one of these at your local WM for that price, I'd say get with it now! The Mossberg 500 models are nothing to laugh at. 20ga? Nothing to laugh at either IMO. In a slug gun....I'd rather deal with a 20ga actually. That should do well on deer. Personally, I've never hunted deer with shotgun, but I have had a Mossy 500 in 20ga before. Where I live now, I could see it happening...no problem...........they are down in the river bottoms now, 50yd shot max! I know you're serious. So am I, and I'm not laughing a bit. My next one is going down with my 6.5x55 (again). You use your shotgun however you see fit and don't think any more about it, Great buy IMO.

Works for me...if the length works better for you than the "normal" length shotguns, go for it.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with a 20ga for the deer woods. The 6.8spc is also a great deer round, but the AR might be a little heavier than the 20ga. If you're staying in camp for very long, than the 20ga will be more useful for camp meat etc... Remington also has some new youth/ladies models out that would fit the bill great, but they're not in the same price range...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Yeah I have to check on the price again. It might have been a special 1 week thing. Ill go back and check tomorrow.

Hrrm that 20ga is looking more tempting the more I read the replies in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Will a youth model fit you? Usually they have shorter stocks.

If you want a 20 ga, why not just get a full size 20 ga and not a youth model. Shotguns are all about proper fit.

PS Just re-read your post....what exactly are you looking at, the title I see says 12 ga but your text says 20 ga as well as the photo.......maybe I am getting this all mixed up in the head.
    Cammo It was a typo. Good catch. Yeah for me. 20ga. Want a light small, and powerful slugger for whitetail, little "Dogs" as we call em here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links