Where to buy? Pawnshop, Show, Gun Store, Private?

This is a discussion on Where to buy? Pawnshop, Show, Gun Store, Private? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've decided on a 30-30, and have my eye on one at a local pawnshop for $290 with a Tasco 3-9x40 scope on it. I ...

View Poll Results: Where to buy a 30-30? (multiple choices OK)

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pawnshop: you know the guy and it's a decent deal

11 30.56%
  • Gun Show: at least check it out - might find a deal

13 36.11%
  • Gun Store: buy local, support if you have problems, likely in better shape

19 52.78%
  • Private sale: spend from now 'til then learning how to evaluate a rifle

11 30.56%
  • Other (please explain in comments)

4 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

I've decided on a 30-30, and have my eye on one at a local pawnshop for $290 with a Tasco 3-9x40 scope on it. I know the fellow there, and trust that he would give me a fair shake. He doesn't leave money on the table, but I believe him to tell the truth about the pluses and minuses of his weapons. He says it's in good shape mechanically; it has major discolorations on the wood of the stock as though paint was chipping off in fairly large patches.

We also have a large gun show coming up next weekend. I fear that I am not very experienced in checking out rifles, though I've read articles on what to look for. Might be a good trip to pick up ammo, I suppose, even if I don't get the rifle there.

I could also wait until after the deer season and the first round of VISA bills after Christmas. My guess is that a certain number of folks will be getting rid of deer rifles and the 30-30 is a pretty common choice around here.

I also wish to support out local gun shops, and I would prefer not to deal with the large chains, especially the guys with the happy faces.

How would you proceed?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

mrm
    I picked pawnshop mostly because I manage 2 of them 50 hrs a week. I would not pay $290 for one in the condition that one appears to be in with the stock problem, I would offer him $225 for it and if he took it great if not check the gun show and give the pawnbroker your number and tell him the next day his sales don't meet minimum quota to give you a call. I appreciate it when people give me this option as opposed to walking out saying wow thats way to much money.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    I picked pawnshop mostly because I manage 2 of them 50 hrs a week. I would not pay $290 for one in the condition that one appears to be in with the stock problem, I would offer him $225 for it and if he took it great if not check the gun show and give the pawnbroker your number and tell him the next day his sales don't meet minimum quota to give you a call. I appreciate it when people give me this option as opposed to walking out saying wow thats way to much money.
    Hm. He had $325 marked on it, and took it down to $290 for me already. I am sure a certain amount of this is customary (sticker price, etc.), but I don't want to insult him by offering him too little. Do pawnbrokers get insulted by customers doing this?

I'll try to post a photo so you'll have more accurate information on the rifle. I'll also try to post a few other prices: it could be that Montana's prices are uniformly lower and this may not be as bad a deal as it might seem.

I could also call him tomorrow and offer $225 (or $250, as I don't want to insult him), and tell him I'm off to the gun show on Saturday...

I guess on of my problems is I'm grappling with retooling my thinking about 'community' - buying from China, the 'net, and multinational corporations hurts us. I would prefer to do business with the local guy, face-to-face, and invest the extra $50 (compared to the big-box store) in building up the community. I know that the pawnshop, the private sale, and the gun shop fit with my preference; I'm not sure how I feel about the gun show. Most of the guys there are shopkeepers rather than the multinational corporation, but they're often from out of my area so I'm torn on that one. And I want to get a decent rifle, so I'm not sure I want to do a private sale (even assuming integrity on the part of the seller - he may not know of a flaw).

And thanks for your pawnshop work. When you make a loan you are giving a guy the cash he needs and taking off his hands something he as less need of, and most importantly of all - HE'S NOT GOING INTO DEBT! If he never shows again, he has the cash and you have the item: the books balance. Would to God more folks would cash in their 'toys' rather than go into more debt.

If it's mechanically sound, the wood can easily be refinished. Take a stake of 24 $10 bills...offer him $240 for it. It's not an insult, just capitalism at work.
    The gun with a scope seems like a fair offer. Then follow mrm's advice.
    Good luck with offer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You'll know it when you see it. IMO...I diversify. With the economy the way it is, look to local listings.......or go to the next gun show and never pay admission......just stand outside and see what's being brought in for sale and make offers. Don't be afraid to ask anything. Pawn shops are a hit and miss ordeal. Mostly they want to get at least 25% more than what it's worth and then some. You can still stumble upon some good deals at the pawn shop, but not like it used to be IMO. A local gun shop could be a good find....only if they've had it for a while and it's consignment. Many gun shops around here will let you put things on lay-away with 25% down (which is a plus in my book) Paid for my 870 Express that way. All in all, you'll need to have a feel for the market....what you're looking for.....etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I don't want to insult him by offering him too little. Do pawnbrokers get insulted by customers doing this?
    Do you think pawnbrokers worry that they might insult a seller by offering too little?

mrm
    You are correct in the fact they probably dont hold the value here as much as there due to the fact that we have alot of prarie and frequently take shots out to 350-400 yrds. The gun you are looking at in great condition starts at around $300-350.00 on gunbroker with no reserve and a nice scope (not saying the tasco is not). The 30-30 has taken a jump lately in sales due to the invention of the leverevolution round which boast deer kills out to 250 yrds (never seen this tho). $250 is not a bad deal on this if you are loyal to him, most pawnshops work on a 25% rate on the dollar then put 65-75% on the item and deal down to max of 50% still doubling their money. so you r not insulting him by offering $250 Hope this helps.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Pawnshops never get insulted. You can still make a deal or you can walk out.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If it's mechanically sound, the wood can easily be refinished. Take a stake of 24 $10 bills...offer him $240 for it. It's not an insult, just capitalism at work.
    The gun with a scope seems like a fair offer. Then follow mrm's advice.
    Good luck with offer.
    You are right, it is not an insult. IMO it is just common sense. I have been in many countries whose economies are not driven by the principles of capitalism and people still do it all the time. But of course, there is a time and a place for everything.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'd say go to a gun show to get a feel for price vs. condition, then buy either from a pawn shop (since you know the guy and trust him) or a local shop. If you are comfortable enough, buy from a private individual (preferably meet up where you can test-fire the gun).

And you're right about waiting until after deer season - I expect prices will rise a little before deer season, just because demand goes up a little.

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Pawnshops never get insulted. You can still make a deal or you can walk out.
    Yes and no Ram Rod. I've been doing it for 12 yrs now and like to think i've seen most stuff, anyway when someone comes in and say you have $250 on something and its not bad (used) but good shape and they say how about $125 cause I know you didnt pay the other guy sh-- for it I do get insulted and all deals for that person are done, they will pay sticker price for it or dont buy it. Now when someone comes in a genuinely offers a lower amount than I would take I never get insulted and just counter with a higher amount, but dont think its like we never get insulted.

We are doing a service even if some people dont think so where else can you go to get $100 loan and not have to pay back if you cant, Its bad business to rip people off but most people have the stereo type built into there heads and so no matter what we do we r ripping people off.

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    ...most people have the stereotype built into their heads and so no matter what we do we're ripping people off.
    I do wish the pawn shops would produce a flyer titled, "Why we can't offer you more." As I see it, the pawnbroker is a businessman not a charity, and he must make ends meet same as everyone else. In no way, shape, or form is he being oppressive: you don't have to ever come in his door (as opposed to the fellow gouging folks with high food prices). But consider that most retail establishments roughly double their prices to pay for their rent, electricity, employees, and the like. Add to that the fact that people shopping there are expecting to pay low prices, and worry about the source of the item - was that pistol properly maintained? So the ticket prices need to be a bit lower than the local gun shops. Then there's the labor involved: the pawnbroker must spend individual time with each person wanting a loan, often a fair amount of time... and keeping the records and dealing with folks as they come in to pay for 'storage' or to buy back the items... and having to place each item out individually when putting things up for sale (no 'open the case' stocking here!). And finally, the pawnbroker has to have the cash on hand to meet your needs... and they don't holler at you or make fun of you for screwing up your finances if that's what you've done.

So, yes, I'm hijacking my own thread. Oh, well. Already got some good advice and will probably get more. But I think that there's a LOT more going on with a pawnbroker's low offer that folks may not consider. Sure, I got a lot less for pawning a pistol once than I would have if I had sold it to a private party. But... there was no muss and no fuss, I had my dough within a couple of hours of deciding to pawn it (most of that driving time), and best of all, I got to buy it back for only slightly more than I was loaned - can't do any of that with a private sale! Thanks, MRM, and thanks to your professional colleagues.

mrm
    No problem hope something I said helped with your decision one way or the other. Stay armed and stay safe.

I would go to the gun show and do some comparisons.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

pawn shops and car dealers are very similar in my book. Distrusted by most, but really they have to make money. They aren't here for your benefit, they are running a business. If they gave you the market value on an item, they would not be a business for very long. They are a convienient way to get money now with out having to sell the item yourself.

But having said that i would go in with 240 bucks cash like retsup said and plop it on the counter. Tell him this is all you have for a rifle and want to give your business to him. If he wants to take 240 for it, then fine. If not, thats his choice. No hard feelings, you just don't have enough saved for his asking price

And refinishing a stock is a piece of cake as long as its not really cracked or dented. I got a old set of russian walnut stocks for my AK47 with the ugliest color paint i have ever seen on the wood(baby poop brown!) Get some citristrip from home depot, soak it, sand off any surviving "paint". Then either stain/shelac that badboy(what i did) or hit it with a bunch of coats of linseed oil. This isn't a pic of mine, but man its pretty close! Under every ugly coat of paint or varnish is a heart made or gold(or wood) You would be suprised what you can do with alittle practice. (mine cost about 30 bucks, but now i have enough stuff to do 4-6 guns at no cost to me!) 870 express is next! Good luck!
    Attached Images
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links