Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15 - Page 2

Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15

This is a discussion on Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Forgot in my first post to note that the extractor spring assembly is probably not milspec, either. Carbon Fiber receivers are not milspec. So, Bushmaster ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15

Forgot in my first post to note that the extractor spring assembly is probably not milspec, either. Carbon Fiber receivers are not milspec.

So, Bushmaster carbines and rifles are "milspec" except for, well, everything about them, more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    Yeah, I kind of forgot about ! Thank you for reminding me.
    The arrogant snobs at AR15.com will have nothing but crap to say about any BushMaster. One of the Mods there Anthony AKA VA-gunnut is a bold faced liar who claimed I was a shill for 'Gunzilla, The worlds best gun cleaner.' because I posted what a great product it is. Lied claiming my email address tracked back to the company. I would not wipe my rear with his opinion.

m4carbine.net is a far more reliable credible sources of info on AR's, not populated by pompous bone heads.

Other than re staking the bolt carrier My Bushmaster has functioned flawlessly using Gunzilla as a cleaner and lubricant
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

What are your guys' thought on putting on a holographic sight on this?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    my thoughts exactly. I have a colt and bushmaster and I rate them both excellent. Both made to mil specs.
    Exactly. Mil spec is what you want in an AR15. I'm going to thank a couple of previous posters on their replies to some Bushmaster bashing. Saves me going into a lengthy reply myself, and keeps me from getting my nose out of joint over it.
    Personally, I get somewhat tired of the bashing, or downgrading someone's choice in firearms with no good advice involved or something to back up a negative response.
    What we need to realize is that folks are looking for pertinent information when they contemplate buying a firearm, resources for information, reviews, and honest (more fully explained) opinions. Also....need to realize that these are some tougher economic times than we've been accustomed to in the past. For most contemplating just getting into an AR15, the search won't be as easy, and the financial aspect will have more of an impact. No need to be a snob, nor to portray your current economic position of having something more costly that you feel is the best money can buy. $1500 AR15 or $850 AR15. Pictures of your AR15 are always nice! For the most part, leave the dollar amount out as you personally relate to quality. We're not all doctors and lawyers here. We are a diverse group of folks. Some with limited income, others with more to spend, lots who work hard for a living, and even those who feel they're unlimited. We've got to start balancing the board somehow, and give good advice instead of admonishment for someone's choice. We should all give our best. Stick to the basics, and help more than distract. Just sit back and think a moment on how the basic foundation of this country got so screwed up. We've gone a long way away from where we should be. And for what? Good reasons? Or dominance from those whom think they know better than 95% of the population and what's best for the entire populous since they have more political power or finances to purvey their ideals upon everyone else. We're all equal under the constitution. Our choice of arms isn't really a question so much as we have them. Each and every able bodied man is called to duty...to defend the country. It won't matter what you have as long as you're willing to fight for this country and for your land. Whom are you to question your brother next to you in battle after he takes down the enemy taking aim at you? If we don't get back to and stick with the basics, we have no chance. I'm all for a team effort....but I'm more than willing to work alone since I know a real team is rather difficult to build these days. Thing is...we need to stop, turn around, and take a good look at what we've done and attempt to fix it. If tha means tearing the whole house down, then so be it. The foundation is solid...we just need to find it and build again.
    jerry12 and BillK like this.

Spikes Tactical offers a $799 AR that is actually milspec. You can assemble a BCM carbine for around $850. Both of those carbines are 10x Bushmaster in quality. The sad thing is that folks actually pay as much, or more for a low quality gun like Bushmaster, and could've had a higher quality gun.

Bushmaster is not milspec, or anything close to professional quality. I get that people are butt-hurt when poor purchases are made, and they feel the need to defend "their" gun. That doesn't make their gun any better, though.

I didn't see any "bashing" of Bushmaster except that it was referred to as a "hobby gun." That's hardly a bashing, compared to "don't buy that POS" which we see here daily about various Kahrs, Kimbers and Tauruses (and heavens to Betsy, I own some of each). The "hobby gun" reference is simply a reminder that it is not built in accordance with the parts, processes and procedures which result in the superior reliability of the Colts, S+Ws, Noveskes, etc. One need only refer to the numerous posts in DC about selecting a first AR as well as the first hand, or in some cases second hand, reports of guns which have gone belly up in hard use. Bushmaster along with a number of other well-known makes just has yet to be a finalist in the hard-use Olympics, but the BMs typically also don't cost as much.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    What are your guys' thought on putting on a holographic sight on this?
    An AR simply cries out for a red dot or a holo sight. Stick with Aimpoint or the newer EOTechs (with batteries mounted perpendicular to the barrel) for top performance and reliability. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Bushmaster super light carbine

I recently traded for one and is a decent weapon. Light weight is obtained by the carbon fiber upper and lower housings. So far it has performed acceptably. Ask me again after 1000 rounds. I dont thing it would hold up to heavy abuse like using a bayonet or using it for a club. As far as being mil spec I remember when the first Mattel toys went into service in nam, they were just slightly better than a club. Better to throw them down and pick up a ak or find a m-14. They are new and time will tell, just do your own research and good luck

An FYI to anyone new to ARs reading this.... bushmasters are a commercial grade gun not held to mil spec standards. It's one of the better commercial grade weapons, but is not on par with BCM, Noveske, DD, LMT, etc., which are all comparably priced. The a bushmaster should not be the first choice in a privately owned duty weapon without a few mods.

Quite often the 5.56 chamber will be .223 and need reamed. This is verifiable by SME's on m4carbine, Lightfighter and the like. Also, staking will need to be done properly on the gas key at the least. Also, it's very likely somewhat over gassed as they use larger than mil spec ports with carbine buffers and semi auto carriers on 16" guns, which allows the use of any weaker ammo, but that's not really a good thing. Also, their barrel steal is not mil spec in most examples.

This is not bashing Bushmaster, just pointing out a well known fact. This is NOT to say it's a junk gun should be sold immediately and you'll die if you use it. I feel almost obligated to point this out and the simple things that could be done for a fix.

So, you'll want to stake the gas key and the end plate.

You'll want to switch out the carbine buffer to at least an H buffer.

You'll want to switch the semi carrier to an auto carrier.

You'll want to at least check the chamber with a go/no go guage.

These minor fixes will get your gun to an acceptable point and will make it duty ready. If your department issues these weapons or you already own one, it's a simple fix. I would not recommend going out and buying one for any serious use as they are just as expensive as true mil spec ARs and it will cost even more to make the changes.

Again, I'm not bashing at all here, just pointing out facts....this is not an opinion.

Heres a good link that will walk you through any necessary changes. At one time, Bushmaster held their weapons to a higher quality standard than they do now unfortunately. Maybe this will change over time.

I've found the ones that most often defend Bushmaster and state it's just as good as xyz, usually are Bushmaster owners and they take it as a personal insult. Here are some links that will help you get that gun up to par, for the most part since being truly mil spec or better would require a barrel change.

Be an informed consumer - Be an informed consumer! - M4Carbine.net Forums

G&R Tactical - A day in the life of a Benchmade LE dealer - A day in the life of a BM LE Dealer - M4Carbine.net Forums

Oh no! I bought an BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better - "Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!" - M4Carbine.net Forums

Now, I know some of you won't like hearing this stuff and if that one cop you know has a "flawless" 1,200 rounds through his doesn't mean all will be "flawless". This info is for everyone, plinker or face-shooter, so you can have the best possible experience with your rifle, no matter the manufacturer.

I've had two and they were not good experiences. One had a loose gas block from day one. Another sheared a bolt lug in the first month and 1,000 rounds. Bushmaster CS told me I exceeded the firing schedule and it was on me BEFORE I ever even told them how the gun was used in that 4 weeks. This may not be the norm, but it's my experience just like that cop with a whole "1,2000 flawless rounds" in a 3 year period.

It is what it is....or isn't....and it isn't mil spec, and it is not better. They skimp at certain points yet charge the same as known quality manufacturers. Yes, they can and most likely will work, but they require more out of the box than the better quality brands.

If the only role this gun will see is gaming or plinking, by all means keep it as-is. I am not bashing BM here and I'm not psychologically attacking any Bushmaster owners, but the fact remains that it's a commercial grade gun regardless of how many departments issue them. That means nothing in terms of quality.
    Sticks likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    The arrogant snobs at AR15.com will have nothing but crap to say about any BushMaster. One of the Mods there Anthony AKA VA-gunnut is a bold faced liar who claimed I was a shill for 'Gunzilla, The worlds best gun cleaner.' because I posted what a great product it is. Lied claiming my email address tracked back to the company. I would not wipe my rear with his opinion.

m4carbine.net is a far more reliable credible sources of info on AR's, not populated by pompous bone heads.

Other than re staking the bolt carrier My Bushmaster has functioned flawlessly using Gunzilla as a cleaner and lubricant
    You're not going to get any more bushmaster love over to M4carbine than you will at AR15.com. They're ok hobby or hunting guns but as has been stated they don't hold up to heavy use.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    When you say stake the end plate,is that the same thing as staking the castle nut? There are so many different names for things out there and I get a little confused. Also, how do you properly stake the castle nut?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    When you say stake the end plate,is that the same thing as staking the castle nut? There are so many different names for things out there and I get a little confused. Also, how do you properly stake the castle nut?
    Same thing. Use a punch on the end plate to push material into the small notches on the castle nut.

As for m4carbine, Bushmaster is not well regarded at all, whether by the snobs, LE or mil. There are a number of Subject Matter Experts (SME's - that are well known in the industry like DocGKR - Dr. Roberts) that will tell you to avoid BM at all costs and if you do own one, these upgrades are a necessity.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Read an interesting and rather informative article awhile back. Came to the conclusion that NO civilian purchased gun is Mil Spec and all claims that an AR is Mil Spec are misleading. In short it said; In part because Mil Spec must meet Mil Standard which in turn require manufacturing methods / process that are proprietary Colt. Meaning no one buy Colt can make that part to Mil Spec, because only Colt knows the process and standard. In addition Mil Spec means that every batch of parts and every batch of guns are stringently tested examined by Mil Inspectors if any one part fails or any one gun fails, the entire batch is rejected. Guns sold to the civilian market not even Colts are subject to that level of testing. The military does not test inspect or examine civilian guns. If it is not Mil Inspected by Mil Inspectors it by definition can not be Mil Spec. Hope that makes sense. If anyone like I will try to find the source article and see if it is posted online anywhere.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

That's not exactly true. Referring to the TDP and Colt's contract that no other source can provide M4's to their spec without a hefty fee at least.

Mil spec is a minimum requirement. If followed correctly, it's considered up to mil spec. I can understand what's meant though, but being built to spec is just that.

Their is a govt employee on site at Colt manufacturing at all times. I'd like to see this article when you get a chance. If this was truly the case, most quality manufacturers would be in a world of trouble.

Then again, I also recently read an article where a 9mm will punch right through the body, but a 45 to the arm will very likely stop an assailant.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    You're not going to get any more bushmaster love over to M4carbine than you will at AR15.com. They're ok hobby or hunting guns but as has been stated they don't hold up to heavy use.
    I have no problem with any of that. I know what it is, if I break it I'll fix it, when we start wasting Islamic terrorists on our soil I'll upgrade. So far it has proven to be reliable for my needs. I have no doubt it will stop any varmints and BG on my property if need be. I think knowing how to run the gun is more important than the gun. I have one to learn how to do that with. When I know enough to tell the difference or move up to a .308 I'll invest in a more professional grade of weapon. Until than IMO Bushmaster is an awesome gun.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links