Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15

This is a discussion on Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jonconsiglio a 45 to the arm will very likely stop an assailant. Of course it will every single time, in the left ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    a 45 to the arm will very likely stop an assailant.
    Of course it will every single time, in the left arm pit through the aorta that is I'll look for the article.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Believe it or not, I agree with that. If one has a BM now or other gun that's not top of the heap, that's fine. There's things you can do if you feel it's needed. The most important thig is that you train with that gun. I won't recommend anyone rush out and buy one, but if you already own one, that's fine. Move up when it's time. If it's a duty gun, I would say it's a must to upgrade the parts at a minimum.

I'd rather have a shooter with a DPMS that fires 15,000 rounds a year than a gun owner with a Knight's Armament that only shoots 500 rounds a year if I had to fight. Ideally, I want the 15,000 round a year shooter with a KAC or BCM though. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Of course it will every single time, in the left arm pit through the aorta that is I'll look for the article.
    You know it!

On a side note, here's a great interview with Officer Reston who took down the shooter with 12 rounds of 45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArDRg5SkuT0
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Hello, my first post! Had to reply to this thread

Hi ! my name is Joe . I just got my ccw about a month ago. I own a SIG 228 with crimson trace grips and hi cap 18 round mags, a glock 30 and glock 26, both with night sites.

I just bought the Bushmaster Superlight with the red dot sight. I have't shot it yet, but I like it. It is my first rifle and I did a lot of
    research on it. Bottom line is GREAT STARTER AR ! You get what you pay for. We just had a gun show last weekend and you can't
    find any ar15 this cheap new in the box. No, if i had to use it as a duty gun ,would I trust it. I just want a fun plinker that doesn't
    cost $900. I've seen it said on other forums "for the price, it's a no brainer". And thats true! If I don't like it , I'm sure somebody
    else with AR15 fever will give me $750 for it. I started looking after Obama got in office and EVERYTHING was on back order. Hell,
    pawn shops in my area still think every AR is worth $1000. I looked at a pawn shop today and they had a bushmaster with no dust cover, no forward assist , cheap laser, USED , and he was going to give me a deal at $750.

Yes the gun is low budget, would I stake my life on it, probaly not (I'd grab the SIG] but it is a good deal. Like one reviewer said
    "everybody that buys an AR15 thinks they have to use it to kick down doors in Afganistain". LOL

BUY IT, HAVE FUN, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, SELL IT FOR WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT!

VIP Member
    Speed, I think the point "the guys in the know" are trying to make is that for the same money you could have gotten a BCM (or a Spikes, or a S&W, or a...). It's not that BMs are bad it's just that they are not equal to other rifles in their price range.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Range Report

Today I took out my Bushmaster Superlight with red dot for the first time. I shot 400 rounds of Federal 55gr rounds. The first 20 were to get the red dot sighted in... the next 380 went exactly where I aimed from 25m out to 220m.
    This weapon is super light and tons of fun. I had zero malfunctions... it went bang every time. I took it apartafter the range to see if there was any cracking or damage from shooting... none found. This performs betterthan the military ones I fire for the Army. I will go to the range again tomorrow to shoot another 400.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    That's not exactly true. Referring to the TDP and Colt's contract that no other source can provide M4's to their spec without a hefty fee at least.

Mil spec is a minimum requirement. If followed correctly, it's considered up to mil spec. I can understand what's meant though, but being built to spec is just that.

Their is a govt employee on site at Colt manufacturing at all times. I'd like to see this article when you get a chance. If this was truly the case, most quality manufacturers would be in a world of trouble.
    Have not find the article, of course. Its in one of these guns rags. Soon as I find it I'll let you know where I found it and a link if there is one. Part of what they were saying is that part of the TDP is Colt proprietary manufacturing process so that other makers do not even know what it is so there is no way they can build a mil spec AR. Also since civilian guns are not inspected by a Government inspector it can not be Mil Spec. To meet Mil Spec X number of gun parts and/or guns are inspected out of each batch of gun parts or /guns. If one gun or gun part does not pass that entire batch is scraped. Civilian makers simply do not do that. There was more it was a pretty compelling argument. I'll keep looking
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Cool Bushmaster Carbon 15 Model AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    Last week while I was with a friend helping him get his FIRST EVER gun (I felt like the proud father!), the gun store owner opened up a new shipment he just received. He immediately started giggling like a school girl and handed it to me saying "this is new, feel how light it is". It was almost like holding a toy is was light. Immediately, I knew that I had to get this soon.

The rifle was the Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15

Bushmaster - Home Defense & Recreation Rifles

Anyone have any experience with these? I am SORELY tempted.

Thanks all.

I own the exact rifle in your pic. It's as good as they get. I have never had any problems with this rifle, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants an excellent, affordable AR-15. The "gun-snobs" will always bash a rifle like this one, even though they have never had any hands-on experience with it. I love mine, and would pit it against any other AR on the market. The gun store owner was getting giggly for a very good reason. Bushmaster doesn't put trash on the market, no matter what some people may say.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogkiller View Post
    I own the exact rifle in your pic. It's as good as they get. I have never had any problems with this rifle, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants an excellent, affordable AR-15. The "gun-snobs" will always bash a rifle like this one, even though they have never had any hands-on experience with it. I love mine, and would pit it against any other AR on the market. The gun store owner was getting giggly for a very good reason. Bushmaster doesn't put trash on the market, no matter what some people may say.
    Oooh the gun snob line again. This stuff just keeps going around and around and around......

Here is what the "gun snobs" are trying to say but you aren't listening: There are better guns out there for the same amount of money. They are not saying that all BMs suck. They are saying that BMs do not measure up to better brands in the price/value department. If you can get a better gun for the same price why wouldn't you? Instead some people just want to call other people names.
    Last edited by atctimmy; August 22nd, 2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

My first civilian AR was a Bushmaster Carbon 15 (this one). I had about 1,000+ rounds through it before I sold it.

The only failure I can recall is one FTE.

Back when I first started reading the online AR15 forums (after I'd purchased my Bushy), I was a bit taken aback by the hostility toward the brand, a lot of which I think is unwarranted. I found the Carbon 15 to be light, reliable, very accurate, and a lot of fun. (Although I now believe I spent about $200 too much for it.)

In my opinion Bushmasters are perfectly OK for most civilian uses - hunting, target/plinking, home defense, etc. And, like any AR, they can be upgraded (e.g. better BCG).

If you really want that rifle, I'd say 'Go for it.'

(On the other hand, take a look at this S&W M&P Sporter while you're at it.)

Quote Originally Posted by smokey 800 View Post
    As far as being mil spec I remember when the first Mattel toys went into service in nam, they were just slightly better than a club. Better to throw them down and pick up a ak or find a m-14.
    Huh?
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

AR Snobs...

Here's my 2 cents.

Many will agree that the Busmaster Superlight isn't good because Bushmasters aren't "milspec". In my opinion, this doesn't matter at all. Google any brand ar + problems and you will find thousands of them. You realize that the Army is trying to get rid of ARs completely right? The M4 I used in Afghanistan was crap which is why a lot of soldiers in my unit eventually picked up AKs instead.

If you keep your AR clean, it will function just fine for civilian use. You probably don't have enough money to shoot 30,000 rounds through your Bushmaster Superlight and unless it is a complete lemon, it will easily handle that many rounds or more before breaking.

When you are in combat, it is a different story. That's where the DGI vs gas piston debate comes in. If you want reliability, get a gas piston gun. DGI people can argue all they want, but DGI is inferior to gas piston when you are talking about combat. People got killed in Vietnam because of crappy ARs and people are still getting killed in Afghanistan because of crappy M4s. For your average civilian user, either system is just fine though.

As for the AR snobs, what brand of AKs do the Taliban use? Are they Daniel Defense, Noveske, LWRCI, LMT, Colt, Bushmaster, HK, Rock River? No, they are Pakistani knockoffs that aren't even close to "milspec" and they are very reliable because of their gas piston system. The Taliban don't have plenty of clean little white cloths & rem oil either because they don't need it.

I've fired a 100,000+ rounds easily in 3 tours of combat in Afghanistan and I wouldn't use ANY DGI gun in combat ever again. I've seen people get shot trying to fix their jammed M4. Special forces use HK416s and FN Scars using gas piston system because they don't trust their lives with DGI systems either. Forget any nonsense you read about carrier tilt, etc. that you will hear from the DGI proponents as those are minor issues and aren't that important. Gas piston beats any DGI in study after study and the AK-47's success should tell you that too.

Here's a few links to articles about M4 failure rates which you might find interesting. Read the 2nd article thoroughly.
    Newer carbines outperform M4 in dust test - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times
    The USA’s M4 Carbine Controversy

Again, for civilian use, any AR is just fine, including your Bushmaster Superlight. If you want real reliability, get a gas piston & buy some extra parts for it. Those are the facts and verified by my 4 years of combat.
    Last edited by Paco; October 1st, 2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Language

Your unit was allowed to drop your M4's and pick up AKs? 100,000 rounds in three tours? I'm having a very hard time believing this stuff. Why don't you do this if that's the case, head over to Lightfighter forum and have yourself vetted, then come back and post about this stuff.

In specialized units, where all they do is train, they seem to appreciate their M4's for what they are and very few care for a replacement. Special Forces are using SOPMOD Block 2 m4a1's with a few SCARs and HK416's in inventory. I own two SCARs and though they're nice, they don't trump the m4, that's actually why the SCAR 16 is no longer under contract. It was nice, but didn't do much more than their M4's.

The SEALs, Rangers, Force Recon and more specialized guys over at Lightfighter all know each other pretty well over there and keep things tight. I'm not trying to completely call you out, but some of what you're saying doesn't fit with what many of us know to be true. My username there is the same as here.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; October 1st, 2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: corrected wording
    atctimmy likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    I know guys who have been in fire fights with M4's and they were happy with them. It's a matter of what you want in a gun and how you'll use it. If you feel you NEED a gas piston system, more power to you. I admit, I think gas piston systems are superior. But I don't think the DI system is extremely terrible either. I'm not an experienced military veteran. No combat experience, never been in a fire fight. I own both AK and and AR. I'd choose my AR. In the moment, I'd choose whatever is closest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Exactly. Mil spec is what you want in an AR15. I'm going to thank a couple of previous posters on their replies to some Bushmaster bashing. Saves me going into a lengthy reply myself, and keeps me from getting my nose out of joint over it.
    Personally, I get somewhat tired of the bashing, or downgrading someone's choice in firearms with no good advice involved or something to back up a negative response.
    What we need to realize is that folks are looking for pertinent information when they contemplate buying a firearm, resources for information, reviews, and honest (more fully explained) opinions. Also....need to realize that these are some tougher economic times than we've been accustomed to in the past. For most contemplating just getting into an AR15, the search won't be as easy, and the financial aspect will have more of an impact. No need to be a snob, nor to portray your current economic position of having something more costly that you feel is the best money can buy. $1500 AR15 or $850 AR15. Pictures of your AR15 are always nice! For the most part, leave the dollar amount out as you personally relate to quality. We're not all doctors and lawyers here. We are a diverse group of folks. Some with limited income, others with more to spend, lots who work hard for a living, and even those who feel they're unlimited. We've got to start balancing the board somehow, and give good advice instead of admonishment for someone's choice. We should all give our best. Stick to the basics, and help more than distract. Just sit back and think a moment on how the basic foundation of this country got so screwed up. We've gone a long way away from where we should be. And for what? Good reasons? Or dominance from those whom think they know better than 95% of the population and what's best for the entire populous since they have more political power or finances to purvey their ideals upon everyone else. We're all equal under the constitution. Our choice of arms isn't really a question so much as we have them. Each and every able bodied man is called to duty...to defend the country. It won't matter what you have as long as you're willing to fight for this country and for your land. Whom are you to question your brother next to you in battle after he takes down the enemy taking aim at you? If we don't get back to and stick with the basics, we have no chance. I'm all for a team effort....but I'm more than willing to work alone since I know a real team is rather difficult to build these days. Thing is...we need to stop, turn around, and take a good look at what we've done and attempt to fix it. If tha means tearing the whole house down, then so be it. The foundation is solid...we just need to find it and build again.
    A very good post well said.
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Just a note on "mil spec." All that means is that it is to the military's specifications. There can be no proprietary processes or materials, and no "secret ingredients," because the specifications are public knowledge. Anyone can go to the specs and see how thick "x" has to be, what kind of steel "y" has to be made out of, and so on. Just because it isn't inspected doesn't mean that it wouldn't be built to specifications - it either is or it isn't, it doesn't matter if anyone's looking. For actual SERVICE in the military, there are other hoops to jump through, but if your product meets all the specifications that the military has laid out for whatever product, then by definition your product is "mil spec."

And ditto, John, on Mr. 100,000 rounds. He's full of bovine feces. Had I seen this thread earlier I would have called him out as well.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links