Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15

This is a discussion on Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last week while I was with a friend helping him get his FIRST EVER gun (I felt like the proud father!), the gun store owner ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15

Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15

Last week while I was with a friend helping him get his FIRST EVER gun (I felt like the proud father!), the gun store owner opened up a new shipment he just received. He immediately started giggling like a school girl and handed it to me saying "this is new, feel how light it is". It was almost like holding a toy is was light. Immediately, I knew that I had to get this soon.

The rifle was the Bushmaster SuperLight Carbine with Red Dot - Carbon 15

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...C1516SLORC.asp

Anyone have any experience with these? I am SORELY tempted.

Thanks all.

2. Remove Ads

5.1 lbs empty is pretty light. I think my Bushmaster is about 7 lbs.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Im confident that there are some weakened parts in something that light. You have to sacrifice somewhere to get it that light. Well see. Keep us filled. AR is kinda advanced for a noob so train em well!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Im confident that there are some weakened parts in something that light. You have to sacrifice somewhere to get it that light. Well see. Keep us filled. AR is kinda advanced for a noob so train em well!
    I took my friend there to get a Ruger SP101 .357...... And the rifle called out to me.

And I AM a noob in regards to ARs. I will need lots of practice.

Bushmaster? I'll give them two thumbs up. The light weight carbine? Well....I don't know about them. One of two ways....it is the .223 (or 5.56) which isn't bad in the recoil department......I'm just mainly concerned with shooting off hand where a heavier rifle or carbine does the best for me. Red dot sights are nice IMO....I have one atop my Bushmaster right now. Flat top/removable carry handle, HBAR. From the bench is one thing, standing and shooting with it free style almost demands a heavy muzzle for control. I can honestly relate with you and your love at first sight with the Bushmaster AR15. Most males work with visuals (I'm a typical male BTW).
    "The rifle called out to you". This could be one of the best reasons for you to get an AR15! You can work with it. Ammo is what you're paying for after you get it. You'll figure it out I'm sure. If it's a good deal....get it. Practice is what you make of it. I love my Bushmaster carbine!

Lead Moderator
    I used to own a Carbon 15 type 97 . Not exactly the same model , however similar and the same company. I found a few issues with mine. The model I owned had the brass deflector fall off, the threads stripped. The muzzle brake would detach during rapid fire and the upper barrel thread was not the same pitch / diameter as standard AR's. The upper showed gouges from break down cleaning sessions. Granted this is not the same model as you are looking at. Some guys seem to like them though.
    Posting this question on AR15.com would probably give you more feedback too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I used to own a Carbon 15 type 97 . Not exactly the same model , however similar and the same company. I found a few issues with mine. The model I owned had the brass deflector fall off, the threads stripped. The muzzle brake would detach during rapid fire and the upper barrel thread was not the same pitch / diameter as standard AR's. The upper showed gouges from break down cleaning sessions. Granted this is not the same model as you are looking at. Some guys seem to like them though.
    Posting this question on AR15.com would probably give you more feedback too.
    Yeah, I kind of forgot about AR15.com! Thank you for reminding me.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    I took my friend there to get a Ruger SP101 .357...... And the rifle called out to me.

And I AM a noob in regards to ARs. I will need lots of practice.
    I Re-read the post, and it was you not your friend getting it. I thought you meant your friends very first gun ever and I apologize. Had it said what I thought it did this is what I would have implied...

You said it was your friend's very first gun ever. I would expect you have owned a gun and atleast know the basics. It is just as simple as an AR seems they are quite advanced in technique and application and that is why our military has complete week long classes dedicated to the operation, shooting, maintenance, marksmenship, and tactical application. And that is in basic training.

Not calling you a noob at all.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

My friend bought a carbon 15 pistol,I personally would stick with the regular guns,with anodised aluminum upper and lower receivers,not sure if it was just the pistol,but to remove the bolt carrier group you had to unpin rear takedown and front pivot pin due to some jacked up plastic buffer and spring assembly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Personally, Bushmaster is an okay hobby gun. If that's what you want to use it for, good on you.

I would not pay more than $650 for it.

It turns out that the Bushmaster is a new "feather weight" model that is not even on the Bushmaster sight and I cannot find out anything about it online. I held the darned thing so I know it existed. I was wavering on the purchase as I dont think I really "need" (I know, bad word!) it, but it turns out that the two they had they sold out and the 16 they have coming next week are already spoken for. Must be a lot of enthusiasm for this in Houston.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Well....Uncle Sam figured out how to train FarmBoys to use them about 50 years ago .
    pittypat21 likes this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Personally, Bushmaster is an okay hobby gun. If that's what you want to use it for, good on you.

I would not pay more than $650 for it.
    Hobby gun my left butt cheek!

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    Hobby gun my left butt cheek!
    my thoughts exactly. I have a colt and bushmaster and I rate them both excellent. Both made to mil specs.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    my thoughts exactly. I have a colt and bushmaster and I rate them both excellent. Both made to mil specs.
    No, the Bushmaster is not. Wrong kind of barrel steel, wrong twist barrel, undercut chambers (.223 instead of 5.56, no matter what is engraved on the barrel) wrong kind of steel in the bolt, Bolt not HPT/MPI'd, Gas key incorrectly staked, if staked at all, civilian instead of military recoil tube made of wrong material, unstaked castle nut.

In fact, very little of the Bushmaster is "milspec".

At best they are a decent Hobby Gun. Period. Will not stand up to anything close to heavy use.

I had the "honor" of carrying a Bushmaster POS carbine into combat last year as part of the Department of State's Counter-Narcotics efforts. Out of 150 guns, we had 50 guns down, being repaired at any one time. They are just not good enough for heavy use.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links